Churchill Bridgelayer

Chillidragon

The fire eating one is looking into his next seemingly random project; the Airfix kit, as supplied.  I actually do want a Mk.VII, but parts of this kit seem quite wrong.  Would some kind comrade with a resin conversion in 1/35 please scan me whatever parts of the instructions might help?  Thank you.

That's a pretty vague request - what do you think is 'wrong' with the Airfix kit that would prevent it being a Mk VII?

I'm not saying it isn't you understand, just that it's really difficult to work out what information you might need.

Cheers,

Centaur

To begin:

1 Bridge needs work - but I have details for that.

2  Cupola on the blanking plate over the turret ring - regular shape on the kit, not so in life.  And is it of hexagonal or octagonal section? Dimensions and details of that are my main need.

3  Blanking plate itself - on the kit it mounts onto a raised inner turret ring which ought not to be there.  Corrected that already.

4  Rear deck - plain plate or with hatches intact?  Either way, field maintenance must have been a nightmare.

The basic Mk. VII hull is fine, except for that ring.  But that cupola is definitely not right according to photographs which I have seen.  Otherwise, nice.

OK - PM me your address. I have some layout plans that will certainly help with the cupola shape (hexagonal, elongated on one side). The bridgelayer used the standard engine deck. The bridge could be partially raised to allow access as far as I'm aware.

Cheers,

Centaur

In the first Airfix Magazine Annual (1971) Chris Ellis converts an Airfix Churchil VII to a bridgelayer.  It's not up to modern standards of accuracy, not least because he designed it to operate like the real thing, but the article does include 6 photos of the real thing, all BW and mostly about 3"x2".  A couple show the chassis with the bridge removed.  If you're interested, drop me a PM with your e-amail address and I'll send you a scan.

Greetings All.

I'm glad the original questions have been answered. Regarding maintenance access I chatted with my Dad last night who remembers these from his Army time. The bridge launcher was operated from a Power take-off from the main engine. If the engine failed there were couplings added so that another vehicle could transfer hydraulic power. The standard practice was to deploy until the bridge was on the ground but not disconnected from the launcher arm, then the decks were relatively clear for maintenance. If the engine/gearbox needed to be lifted out the main launching ram had to be removed and, with the bridge on the ground, the pressure could be safely released. There is a decent walkround HERE but note that even the RE don't get the hull detail right. (It's a Mk VII of course.)