Bristol Bloodhound Mk I - Airfix 1/72

CedB

On 26/08/2017 at 6:02 PM, CedB said:

attachment.php?attachmentid=75934&stc=1&

Typical Techie scruffy bag of sh.....    Get a haircut and a uniform that fits.

On 26/08/2017 at 6:02 PM, CedB said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Thanks Alex - filled gaps now filed and painted (see below) :)

Thanks Jont :D

46 minutes ago, perdu said:

Of course it's easy to see that Ced was never in the Space Cadets (ATC) nor neither the RAF

Black tie please dear chap

Just saying...

F8026312 Officer Cadet Bufton here. I didn't see any RAF Police in my seven month occifer training; I was a good boy I was! Failed on 'field leadership', twice. Damn firecarts. Ho hum.

I might repaint the tie Bill - all the others are black, honest.

Thanks PLC :)

The Rover had been filed (rifflers, as Steve says, are my friend) and re-painted:

36900983055_5e208f976d_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Still a lot to do on that.

Holes in the trailer? I read somewhere that you can mix PPP with paint so I thought "Why not?":

36763611701_69fdb6d393_z.jpg

'Cos it's 'orribly messy, that's why not, and it still shrinks, requiring another pass. Hmmm. Cleaned up with a sucked pointy cotton bud:

36763751051_4b496fed89_z.jpg

Touch ups required but at least the gaping holes have gone, especially in the wheel hubs.

• Like 14

I've heard it said, Officer Cadet Bufton sir, that anything that blocks up 'oles is good enough

I wonder

(and I wonder what colour the Officer Cadet's tie was...)

LOL, very L

In real terms Ced we're looking at a very acceptable Bloodhound, I wouldn't mind looking out for another of these at Sutton's Show

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

The only person I know to routinely spray Humbrol acrylics successfully is the mighty Procopius. I tried to follow his methods and the result was much worse than yours or Tony's. 

"Successfully" is a pretty strong word, Cookie old son. I had some luck spraying I think Humbrol 224 for a Martlet and a Seafire, but when I sprayed the red in the Gnat Red Arrows starter set, it was rather dreadful, and that using their own thinner!

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Those S6B floats definitely look painted in that photo of yours, Ced.

Land Rover looking so much better now :).

Edited by AlexN
Added 'S6B' coz of the unexpected page-flip
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Procopius said:

"Successfully" is a pretty strong word, Cookie old son. I had some luck spraying I think Humbrol 224 for a Martlet and a Seafire, but when I sprayed the red in the Gnat Red Arrows starter set, it was rather dreadful, and that using their own thinner!

One has to assume that they use the same paint in the tiny starter-set pots as the stuff that comes in the larger plastic 'tins', but I wonder. I always look at those pot-lets with a degree of suspicion, not to mention jaundice.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, perdu said:

Do you have links for Telford too Tony?

Since the World of Leather furniture chain rebranded as World of Leather and Intimate Discipline, no-one in the UK is now more than a 30 minute drive from consensual correction.

Am I the only one that finds Man Utd. an amusingly risqué name for a football team? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

I will never be able to think of ManU with a straight face, ever again! Aaaaargh! Another Aaaargh! too, since my 'likes' quota has been used up. You can blame the nascent Floatplane GB for that.

• Like 5

Thanks Bill :) You'll be pleased to know I've painted the tie black. you're welcome :)

Thanks Ian :rofl2: It'll be going in my 'display cabinet' with Grommit, UF-Q and the Rapide (now that'd be a good film).

Thanks PC - I think I'll give up trying now! :)

Thanks Alex :) I've now remembered buying some Vallejo 'Silber' for high speed so I'll try that - sounds like the mule is going to get some attention.

Thanks Ian - he'll be connected with his 'brain' soon :)

Thanks Tony - you are a larf! Man United... :rofl:

I've been fiddling with stuff to make the bare metal bits on the Rover look 'realistic'. I think I've ended up with H56 but not ready to expose the results, yet!

For the base I've dragged out some Revell Aqua Gloss that I bought some time ago. When I first started modelling again I would buy the paint to go with the kit(s) at the same time. Somewhere in the stash there are models waiting for these strange colours, I just have NO idea what they are. Tests on the back of the board:

36771348091_88d210afb9_z.jpg

and first coat of 76. I want it to be irregular and varied (it says on the 'web') so thinned, sometimes:

36514552530_577c7b56e8_z.jpg

I quite like that rough texture. The unpainted bit is grass for the dog. Having bought a roll of 'grass' I now realise that, to fit the Rover, trailer and launcher on the base I don't have THAT much room for dogs. Ho hum. Perhaps I'll use the rest for a base to photograph all the models I build wheels down i.e. almost none. I glued some grass down with Copydex:

36741968342_67d96a407c_z.jpg

Just look at all those grass clippings. Why don't these gardeners ever clear up. Can't get the staff...

• Like 14

Next problem, frames on the Rover.

Some time ago, actually almost exactly a year ago, Mark (@Kiwikitbasher) introduced me to using Filmoplast for canopy framing. (Sorry it the PB ransom hits you there)

The benefit of this is that it's easier to cut tape into thin strips with sharp, straight edges than it is to try to mask them. In theory.

Let's see what it's like in practice. Glass block cleaned with IPA, tape stuck down not too hard, painted with H56:

36079698544_f4b381ba4d_z.jpg

Perhaps I should have smoothed the tape down more but I was worried about not being able to pull it off again!

New #6 blade used to cut (what I thought was) a thin strip, prised up with tweezers:

36517506800_4689783ca3_z.jpg

and applied to the Rover. That thin strip is actually too wide so it was applied to the windscreen surround:

36079993144_5395386c0d_z.jpg

What do you mean, you can't see it? The rule is there for a sense of perspective... definitely needed, this thing's tiny. Here's a close up, also showing two blobs of Kristal applied for the headlamp lenses:

36743807082_b867ef7913_z.jpg

I'm happy with that, so far. One problem is the paint - anything 'metallic' seems to be grainy.

Warning: don't use Tamiya acrylics with Filmoplast, or other alcohol based paint - it eats the glue on the film (ask me how I know).

Time for lunch.

• Like 11

It is enormously satisfying watching you build that Land Rover Ced. Lovely work.:thumbsup2:

Filmoplast tip logged. Thank-you. You're a one-man shopping channel , given the level of investment you've helped inspire in tools and processes. I for one am most grateful.:nodding:

Surely only a matter of time before you have a psychic helpline we can ring into:

Caller: I'm ringing because life feels so empty and my career has stalled.

Ced: I understand. Wait. The mists are clearing. Have you considered buying some tools?

Caller: But I'm an accountant! How will that help me?

Ced: Because tools.

Caller: This is confusing.

Ced: Hole punches!

Caller: I never got this with Madame Zaza.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Am I the only one that finds Man Utd. an amusingly risqué name for a football team? 

I always thought it was very sweet, but I've been accused of being a romantic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Thanks Tony :D Telephone helpline... now there's a thought... premium rates and all that... Now, where's my Crystal Ball?

Thanks PC :D For some reason that reminded me of an old friend who had a 'Fly United' T-shirt; you know, the one with the ducks...

Framing complete:

36110109333_4ceb2cfd3c_z.jpg

Not convinced, but there's no way I would have got straight lines that thin by masking or brush. My poor eyes are tired now too.

As some sort of compensation I chopped the bases off the crew with my older sprue cutters:

36918203255_94afdd3b87_z.jpg

Somewhat satisfying. Ha ha ha. Of course I'll trim off the soles of their feet, maybe by holding them to the fire... No stop it, time for a lie down.

• Like 12

Nigh on impossible Ced but you made it look like a Landy

(civvy name, us tuffy ruffys just called them 'the rover')

funny names for the other things though,       back through the years I go wandering now and then...

Anyway, whilst wandering back through them years, searching the weapons box for a drop tank for the HAS3 Wessex to suit the transfers I have decked her out in and a tank to turn into a Palouste Starter unit as seen on my thread down/up/over there these popped into view

P1130846.jpg

In the original white plastic from the sixties too

Only these pieces though, not enough to build a new booster set

Still very sharply pointed though, didnt get blunted through many years of searching for suitable ordnance

Anyway back to your Rover, with just a little diligent application that would very easily make into a Land Rover Lightweight Air Portable

Now if I do get one at the Sutton show I have a new, vehicular aim for the future

:)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Simon - great video! :)

Thanks Benedikt - I remember those platform shoes! :)

Thanks Johnny :) Yep, the Kristal Klear dries clear, eventually. I like Humbrol Clearfix or windows but Kristal is better where you want a blob, like on the headlight lenses or aircraft nav lights.

Thanks Bill - just caught you with an edit :)

Here's another shot of the frame. The radiator has been prepared for dry brushing:

36780163381_e1d389960d_z.jpg

then a satin coat and plate applied. Nearly there:

36530428650_0421066a59_z.jpg

The crew have put their best foot forward for some drill...ing and had pegs fitted:

36926608615_d1da02eec2_z.jpg

Missile satin coated, launcher matt coated:

36118604443_b1804227c4_z.jpg

Getting very close:

36530448810_430d8bdace_z.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Very good job CeD, so you started an help line for burned out exécutives !B) Goooood Deal can very profitable !

Glad to see your gogo dancers almost ready to pull on the dog's tail !

More seriously, very fine result out from that old kit !

Congratulations !

Your photo of the S6b and the schneider cup, Aaaargh, will be difficult not to get on the attic and pick up my Testors 1/48 one !

I must finish some kits before starting new ones!!!

21105772_1385660784884523_480051094656793010_n

And now I look like my daughter !

Have a very good modelling days !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 08/29/2017 at 22:58, PLC1966 said:

Typical Techie scruffy bag of sh.....    Get a haircut and a uniform that fits.

Typical Techie, out bondhu bashing a Rover in his best blues (that fit where they touch, typical RAF tailoring)!  Well done that man!!  Anyway, what wrong with his haircut - are you the SWO?

As has been said, any self respecting J/T would be able to absolve himself of any responsibility for the Rover being bogged down off road.  J/T - all the fun, no responsibility, great rank!

Ced,

Nice work on the Bloodhound, a mate of mine worked on these at West Raynham right up to the bitter end, interesting snippet of information, the tip of the missile was set in beeswax, as the missile flew through the sky, kinetic heating would cause the wax to melt allowing the tip to move in its housing, making contact and thus arming the missile, the time it took obviously meant it wasn't able to arm prematurely.

Another snippet from an old boss of mine who was based out in Singapore on Javelins, it was said that if the Bloodhounds at Tengah were ever fired in anger, the booster rockets would fall on the married quarters, obviously it would depend upon the direction the missiles were fired in but a sobering thought nonetheless.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 29/08/2017 at 7:36 PM, CedB said:

One the way back I stopped at Salisbury Model Centre and had a great chat with Declan, the owner. He's a nice chap and very helpful.

He is indeed.  Those of us who live in Salisbury are lucky enough to have TWO model shops, and both of them are excellent.

You passed within ¼ mile of my house, Ced.  If I'd known I'd have put the kettle on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2