Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

8 hours ago, giemme said:

I don't get Le Baron's joke, but I'm not sure I want to ask for an explanation here ...

It sounded ruder than it should have done tbh Giorgio, now that I read it back. :doh:

Bod was a UK children's TV show back in the 1970s that had possibly the most irritatingly catchy theme music that sounds like a cross between skiffle and a village choir who have binged on amphetamines...

The Gannet wheel well always reminds me - for reasons my analyst is struggling to explain - as the profile of said irritating youth with the oversized head:

gannet_aew_03.jpg?w=660

I will refrain from putting a link to the music but will simply proffer some Mamba voyeurism to Bill for sullying his thread....

Gannet-2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Nice Mamba shot Tony, not convinced by the fictional piping 'down in the hole'

But that said not every modeller gets the support we do in here, James's pictures alone make such a huge difference and give invaluable help don't they let alone the guidance I'm getting through Crisp and you others

But I still don't remember the Bod thingy, I must have been marching the hills back then.

• Like 3

The way I look at it, you guys build to a level that I can only aspire to, and when it's types that I have an interest in (the Gannet being my favourite), I consider it an honour to be able to provide references.

Double Mamba extraction from a Gannet is genius.  I think Haynes would describe it as 'simply undo the two bottom threaded attachment points, remove the upper attachment bolt, release the two wheels at the sides and draw forward on the rails'.  The reality is of course a bit more involved, especially with the fuel systems etc that need uncoupling, but the way it winds forward on the rails, which are mounted to the jacking points and nose leg, is something else.

I remember Bod, just!

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, 71chally said:

(the Gannet being my favourite)

James, there's some fascinating reading about the Gannet on the Australian FAA website, including this reprint of a 1949 technical article on the design of the Mamba:

https://www.faaaa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/GannetDoubleMambaAeroplaneArticle1949.pdf

Here's the main Gannet archive Bill if there's anything of potential use:

https://www.faaaa.asn.au/heritage-fairy-gannet/

https://www.faaaa.asn.au/gannet-images-media/

Apologies if this is bringing coals to Newcastle chaps...

Tony

• Like 1

Great links there Tony thanks

Some people seem to think that only Gannet is getting any love lately, well just to let you all know they are both still on my table and under weigh

At the moment I am still putting in some wheelwell love, front and centre

And as I had to open the fuselage I have had to reinstate the round belly look for the COD bird

Hence

P1010087.jpg

P1010088.jpg

And

P1010089.jpg

The wheel wells are as lively as they are going to get and will be closed up very soon, probably when the nose segment gets to sit as it should and the nosewheel location gets firmed up

More of this later this week

Edited by perdu
  • Like 10

10 hours ago, perdu said:

And as I had to open the fuselage I have had to reinstate the round belly look for the COD bird

You're in for a lot of sanding/re-shaping etc, I see :frantic: 

Wheel bays look busy enough to me :clap: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

On 24/11/2017 at 8:07 PM, 71chally said:

The way I look at it, you guys build to a level that I can only aspire to, and when it's types that I have an interest in (the Gannet being my favourite), I consider it an honour to be able to provide references.

Double Mamba extraction from a Gannet is genius.  I think Haynes would describe it as 'simply undo the two bottom threaded attachment points, remove the upper attachment bolt, release the two wheels at the sides and draw forward on the rails'.  The reality is of course a bit more involved, especially with the fuel systems etc that need uncoupling, but the way it winds forward on the rails, which are mounted to the jacking points and nose leg, is something else.

I remember Bod, just!

I try very hard not to remember Bod.  Bill, on no account investigate; trust me on this.

I know that generally the Mamba “power egg” was designed to slide out for work.  What happens if you remove it altogether (which must have happened occasionally on a like-for-like swap)?  All that nose weight removed; are you at risk of a real life tail-sitter if you don’t jack the aircraft?  

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I know that generally the Mamba “power egg” was designed to slide out for work.  What happens if you remove it altogether (which must have happened occasionally on a like-for-like swap)?  All that nose weight removed; are you at risk of a real life tail-sitter if you don’t jack the aircraft?  

Yes it all slides out as one power section with the gearbox and props, and swapped for another similar unit, or the Engine Change Unit (ECU).  To change an individual Mamba engine was bay work and apparently was a lot more difficult than it should have been due to careful matching with the gearbox. 

The engine removal kit is the two removal rails with cogged withdrawal wheels that bolt to the front engine mounts, a support yoke (that attaches to the noseleg), and a tail prop, which on AEWs is very tall!  The two rails mount in the front jacking points, and ideally jacks are used on the aft end of these rails to keep the whole thing steady.

Oh, and the engine rear rollers are release by sticking a tool in through some push in holes in the sides of the fuselge.

Nice work on those u/c bays Bill!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Nice work on those u/c bays Bill!

Very much so.:nodding:

James - I've always called these regions 'wells' but should it strictly in fact be 'bay', or are the two terms interchangeable in this context? My inner-pedant needs to know!:D

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

James - I've always called these regions 'wells' but should it strictly in fact be 'bay', or are the two terms interchangeable in this context? My inner-pedant needs to know!

I'd go for wheel wells just for the alliteration, though I would think the correct term would be undercarriage bay.  You could argue that the wheel well is a child/subset of the undercarriage bay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Never thought about it before, I think wheel well would be the circular area that specifically the wheel only goes into, thinking of types such as the P-40, Skyraider and Barracuda.

A bay suggests to me an area where all of the undercarriage ends up.

@hendie says it so much better than I can!

Whatever we call em, they look damned fine from here!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having consulted the Gannet maintenance course notes and various other publications, Fairey referred to them as wheel wells for the main undercarriage and a nosewheel bay for the nose gear. 

Maybe it was down to whether the retracted wheels where covered or not?!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1