Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

16 hours ago, hendie said:

meet the twins. 

The Lion and the bottom?:hmmm:

My Bible's a bit hazy but isn't there some kind of parable involving those two?

Or is Bill getting into the Christian spirit for Christmas already? :santa:

I don't think there was a Lion in the stable, not in the Authorized Version anyway...

Added later: Amused to see the synonym for donkey that I used in the first line of this was replaced by the forum censor to make it actually sound worse...

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

If I were more confident with those prop blur things (not sure about how good they look), the optimum solution would be a taxying Gannet caught in mid-fold; illustrates the true bonker-dom of Fairey’s design, yet still shows off the aircraft.

Remember Crisp that bonker-dom is the perfect antidote to boredom and mediocrity and is therefore to be encouraged.

Not Bonkers Enough of Mars 

• Like 1

Well as he will be doing his in big scale, rather than in little scale he will certainly agree that the only thing that looks like a real spinning prop is a real spinny whirlygig prop

And taking that truth on-board he will proceed to give us an object lesson in modelling contra rotating twin jet engines with spin and noise

But also giving due attention to the melty-plastic-ness of most of what we do he will desist from trying to make it bliddy hot as well

I await the coming of the big Gannet with real pleasure

Hurry up Crisp  :)

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

And taking that truth on-board he will proceed to give us an object lesson in modelling contra rotating twin jet engines with spin and noise

agrrhhh, my pet hate!  Derived by sloppy journalism sadly.

Gannet props aren't contra-rotating, they are counter-rotating and co-axial to boot!

Contra-props are two sets of propellers driven by one input shaft (though that can be fed by two power sources through a common gearbox) to drive each other in opposite directions.

Gannets have two engines, each driving their own propshafts and propellers through a reduction gearbox, the props counter-rotate and are mounted on a common axle line, it just happens that the two engines are bolted together by one lump of a gearbox.  At all times each engine and its propeller remain independently controlled from the other.

Tongue firmly in cheek, as I know that you know this!:P

Coming back to the admiralty grey you mentioned, I think that some of the changed components on XA466 might be this (those nose door rams look so), but generally the bays and most within was painted in the underside colour of the aircraft, ie Sky.  That nose leg mounting yoke is natural alloy, at least in finish.

I won't make any jokes about four legged Gannets!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

... the optimum solution would be a taxying Gannet caught in mid-fold...

that would be amazing! A lot of drama involved!!!

I recently bought this one.

3q0Ew2r.jpg

To highlight the wings design,I bought the PE flaps by Airwaves as well, iven if they're designed for the Revell kit , but I suppose the wings were the same.

I've got a question for the well informed: were the weel bays the same as for the EAW1?Hope so, so I can use this Thread as my bible!!!

One more thing for this creature's lovers:

As I had lost any hope for an 1/48th EAW3, I bought this  1/72nd scale model after nearly 20 years.

Now that I've bought it, I'm sure a new, state of the art EAW3 in 1/48th will be announced before Christmas  !!!:wall:

Ciao

Massimo

Post  scrictum

Nice donkey!!!:P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@massimo if you go back to post #11 on page one of this thread, you will see a picture of an AEW.3 mainwheel bay.  Click on the link under it and it should take you to more of my AEW detail pictures.

If you do a WIP on your Gannet I will try and add in pictures if you need them.

I think the main change in the bay was due to the significantly longer undercarriage legs. 

The inner wings are slightly different in planform from the AS versions, in that they lack the swept back leading edge and inboard fuel tanks, the loss of wing area here was made up with the greater span.

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

oops I posted this elsewhere by mistake, apologies

In keeping with Massimo's request I have been detailing to a minor extent the wheel bays so I can begin building the mounting points for the main legs

Also in shot, a new nose for a Buccaneer

P1010069.jpg

And a really nice Gannet leg

another angle on the starboard well

P1010070.jpg

The roof rib structures are not quite, but they will suffice

Off to fiddle some more now

Bucc wings to sand smooth, paint is gone

• Like 9

Thanks for the info to you both!!!:like:

Well, I see some improvements in tose wheel bays!!!

I love the white addictions to grey plastic!!! ...and white gets on very well with light blue , from what I can see on  top left of the pics!!!

Nice piece of...nosesurgery!!!:yes:

• Thanks 1

Not happy

Decidedly not happy  :(

cue glum music whilst Bill ponders what to do about it

OK silly, fix it

I will expound, apparently they can't touch you for it

(I am/was assured of this by the late and awesomely great Eric of Morecombe)

in my photos above, of the inner structure to strengthen the undercart locations the wheel well sections proportions looked, frankly and according to Mike's rules, bad

I admit I have had doubts but no accurate drawings to operate from, a complaint I no longer need to make since 4+ gave me their wonderful book on the AS variants of the Fairey Gannet

When I cut out the 'oles from the lower section of the Frog/Novo wing I had no guides except the circle formed by the raised panel lines on the surface so I cut them out to that dimension

The model, if anyone has not seen it, comes with a little slot under the wing to locate the combined leg and door bit that keeps the model off the floor and the wheel well loction is just marked out on the surface

The intention may be to encourage you to paint it in, I dunno, I cannot remember

Now I have the plans I did  the necessary comparison and found they were about right for location but that the wheel 'hole' was way too small

So I have removed all the ribbing that I wasn't happy with anyway and carved a modified hole

You may be able to see the difference between the done one and the one awaiting 'done' here

P1010071.jpg

like so

P1010072.jpg

Both holes now look more like it, I suspect parallax has opened the holes more that they are, but either way the well floor is no more ready for better sidewalls and stiffeners

Which I have begun to redo

More later if I suck the seeds of success

:(

• Like 8

In my experience (ahem!), better too small than too big!  Good time to get that 20p effect in the cut outs as well.

Cracking job on the bay detail.:yes:

Where's yer flaps?  ....just in case, the flaps can't be deployed if the wings are folded, or vice versa.

Edited by 71chally
  • Haha 1

I think the threepenny* bit look is just the walls rather than the holes so I am still going ahead with flat panelling the walls round the back of each well

The front looks to be in line with a spar with added gubbinses

The bit I shied away from first time around was those sculpted ribs, each one different

Oh well time to get it right now with more space to play in

ciao

*Old fashioned? Moi?

Certainement mon ami

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, perdu said:

I think the threepenny* bit look is just the walls rather than the holes so I am still going ahead with flat panelling the walls round the back of each well

Definitely in the trailing edge of the hole/cutout aswel, will post pics later.

Earlier posted pics should help.

No worries about that James I do have the ones you posted earlier and it seems a simple enough task for a nutter like me

Thanks

edit acos I just looked closer

It is the hole as well, just how easy is that going to be huh

:)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

"liked" but not as in actually 'liking' your post, which I did, but not in that way... more of a condolence proffering.  Been there, seen that, bought the lollipop etc.

I'm sure you're on your way to making it better overall as I type

• Thanks 1

Here's quick sketch of what I mean, it's not to scale or anything but is meant to illustrate where the various internal structures are in relation to the hole. Hope it makes some sense!

The hole is such a mess, hardly anything lines up and is only actually circular from about the 10 to the 2 O'clock positions in the sketch.

37869747964_1a11142dd7_c.jpgGannet U/C bay, arrow points aft by James Thomas, on Flickr

More bay pics, click on em for enlargements,

24714252308_9f27b2ded8.jpgGannet COD.4 XA466 port undercarriage by James Thomas, on Flickr

24714251628_b9c5a2523d.jpgGannet COD.4 XA466 port undercarriage by James Thomas, on Flickr

37698387485_21c9fc9f25.jpgGannet COD.4 XA466 port undercarriage by James Thomas, on Flickr

38553979612_aa51dec5f2.jpgGannet COD.4 XA466 port undercarriage by James Thomas, on Flickr

38553978982_81916285dc.jpgGannet COD.4 XA466 port undercarriage bay by James Thomas, on Flickr

26810065979_9ebf41bd4c.jpgGannet COD.4 XA466 port undercarriage bay by James Thomas, on Flickr

BTW Bill, I do realise this is to the point of utter banality, even to consider doing this level of detail is something, a pure circle would certainly do for me, even the Frog way of doing things!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

It certainly isn't getting THAT amount of detail but I feel my compulsion means I am going to have to be decently representative

Some of the pipes, most of the struts, all of the wheels kind of thing including gas(?) bottles

But the back of the wells will be reasonably like the proper job, if I can worry about a semi hidden nose well I think it only fair to do the really visible ones (if you are lying on the floor under a model half an inch high)  :)

• Haha 5

I'm not sure what came over me  :nah:

I found my self doing another little bit of wheel wells work

The inner box has been "threepennybitted"

P1010075.jpg

And not giving up there the wells have been ribbed

P1010076.jpg

Not of course, perfect but a decent basis for a little shaving down a tad tomorrow

P1010077.jpg

That is it, two different thicknesses, three different shapes in each well

tidy up on the morrow

'wiedersehn

Edited by perdu
  • Like 10

Lovely job on those wheel bays, even in 3p (edit: sorry, I just found out I should write 3d) version :wink:

Gutte nacht

Edited by giemme
  • Haha 1