Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

Et viola the wanderer returns

With an almost amorphous shape blasted out of solid plasticene

And Frog/EasternExpress propellor spinner pieces

First cast of several which I will use to make spinners (x 2, there will be two Gannets here later) that are properly closed round the prop bases unlike the cavernous spaces left behind by Mr Rovex, back in the day

P1010077.jpg

You can sort of make out where the plasticene got to can't you

Oh well down into the casting shop now to begin the next ones, ciao

• Like 9

On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 9:59 AM, 71chally said:

Crisp, that rear seat was standard in AS.1 & 4 and the derivatives (COD.4 & ECM.6), the base of which can be unlocked and swiveled.

The only net type seat was the extra one sometimes fitted in the T.2 & T.5 which allowed for an extra Stude to be carried, where two of them sat facing each other, wondering what the heck they had signed up to.

The genesis of that rear position is quite interesting, initially the Gannet was to be two crew only, with the obs doing the nav and tac nav/radar.  There was then an idea to have four crew, with two under a large single canopy at the rear, which as the type progressed through service life would have been a very handy layout.

That extra panel, or any of those four modern (ish!) instruments was not fitted to any ASW, but are seen in the AEW, which of course CODs were shared on the squadron.

I'm pretty sure that one of those is ILS, due to CODs operating from  a variety of land bases, but wonder if the other is carrier landing related.

I also wonder if the direction finder/homer underneath those two is for locating the carrier.

They are are homer instruments.....in fact SK4 had one up until the demise last year.

Used for UHF/VHF homing which makes sense to me 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Bill, have you used only plasticine to hold the master in place, when pouring the silicone for the mould?

TIA

Ciao

Yes Giorgio, I placed the square (ish) of plasticard with the spinner bits on it at the bottom of a little Legoalike box and poured the latex on top of it

P1010078.jpg

I sealed the box with strips of masking tape to minimise leaks, it needs real Lego to click tightly enough not to leak

Is this any help?

Now then

Nudge nudge, nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat.

Goat

And Jean-Paul down the pub

No more Pythoagorative refs this thread, my Idleidler has stripped a throckett

These are references to a mildly humorous television programme that you will all be far too young to know about, especially young Keith

It was broadcast every Tuesday night on BBC2 and as a recurrent theme there might have been a goat that has been unwell

"You'll 'ave to excuse the goat, 'e's got the poos"

And often-times Jean Paul Sartre was "Down the pub", a typically British drinking venue

"Nudge nudge", etcetera refers to a sketch in which Mr Eric Idle questions a man, in a pub I seem to recall, about whether he has candid pictures of his wife which he'd like to show to an unknown 'geezer' in said establishment

"nudge nudge etc" was uttered as Mr Idle administered a friendly jab in the ribs

Pytho agorative indicates, to them as knows, that the television series referred to was "Monty Python's Flying Circus"

My Idleidler simply informs of my admiration for said comedic icon

The stripped throckett is simply evidence you should not take any notice of me when I begin mangling my beautiful native tongue

many fortunate members of this fine place ignore every single thing I wibble on about

And are very happy doing so

If this helps you dear friend I retire tonight a happier model maker

:)

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

It definitely helps Bill, an all accounts :thumbsup:

PS: I'm very close to embark in my first resin moulding attempt, hence my (modelling) question :wink:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, perdu said:

especially young Keith

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: young :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: !!

I'm actually so old I'd completely forgotten about the goat...!! 

Anyway, I've just arrived 5 pages late so I need to play catch up. But tomorrow I'm afraid as I'm struggling to keep my eyes open tonight. It's that age business again...!!

KTWC

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, perdu said:

"Nudge nudge", etcetera refers to a sketch in which Mr Eric Idle questions a man, in a pub I seem to recall, about whether he has candid pictures of his wife which he'd like to show to an unknown 'geezer' in said establishment

and wasn't there also an advert with the same sketch for a chocolate bar ?   

• Like 1

Thanks CFFU

Postimage has stopped accepting my new images, so I cannot add new stuff to here until they clear their problem

Undergoing maintenance they tell me

Nearly three days now  :(

So I am using imgur 'til I get sorted there

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Yup, shows up fine in dismal South Wales Bill - but it does appear your spinner has had a bit of a melt down....:)

Keith

It looked a bit nasty didn't it, but its just a step on the way

This is a tad nicer

1506497451857.jpg

Apologies for the manky picture but the tablet's camera is a bit, pants

I'm moulding some more off this to get nice front and back spinner parts

All will be fine you'll see

You might notice that post image has come out of hibernation

Phew

1506497485225.jpg

New casting box in preparation

James I have had issue with all of em, flickr too

Not over keen on imgur though, very clumsy compared to postimage

• Like 7

Catbuild_painting_c_009.jpg

test

again

postimage sent me a "All working again now" email this morning

I wonder if they're going to send me another "All stopped again, sorry"

:(

Some days I..............................

And swear

oh bad manners , sorry

allow me to introduce Airfiix's Catalina, slightly stepped on with salt weathering  ^^^

Edited by perdu
  • Like 5

I like this poetic talk of "horrible stratus" and "golden shafts of light".   Must have a word with the antipodean meteorological services about our own robotic vocabulary. It's also nice to see Lego blocks taking a role in the casting process. An essential part of a scale modellers kit. 

• Like 1

An especially essential part of my moulding facility, the lego in blocks of this space gives a mould that weighs 32gms

very handy when deciding how much rubber solution I bung in the plastic cup I mix the elixir in before I build a mixture

My usual 'standard lump is 16gms which enables me lots of breathing space

• Like 4

On 27/09/2017 at 8:44 AM, perdu said:

the manky picture but the tablet's camera is a bit, pants

I love it when you talk technical!

Can anybody remember what year Modeldecal brought out the sheet which included COD4 XG786 ?

I found the slightly battered Frog conversion I did then but can't remember how old it is.