Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

Well I gave it a long time to set but I do not like it for use on flexible (vac-form) canopies, it is very brittle and only took a little 'movement' to snap, crackle and not very eventually pop

I will use it again on those quite rare occasions that I use the kit clear parts it dries very clearly and is nigh on invisible

Sadly I am trying out a new cockpit glue, from our friends at DeLuxe called RC Modellers Canopy Glue

My local guy says that Formula560 has become unavailable  so "you'll have to get used to it"

We'll see huh

Let you know tomorrow how that one 'took'

Night all

• Like 2

Well inconclusive results are in

I dont like the new stuff much so I decided to find out why

Scraped a little from the bottle of 560 and laid in a corner of clear acetate onto a scrap piece then did the same with RC modeller glue

P1010116.jpg

and left the  pieces out to dry

P1010118.jpg

P1010117.jpg

I think even old 560 gives a nicer effect but there is no real reason not to go with RCM

However

I wrecked the front canopy by dumping it in Humbrol ClearTM 

Then by nicking the rearmost of its bubbles with a sharp scalpel when trimming the overblob off the GS Hypo

P1010119.jpg

It is, frankly a disgrace

I know that much of the damage could be hidden by careful painting and masking but I have too much 'life' in this now to wreck it so The Big H is posting a new set to me, poste haste

Well as 'haste' as Second Class (tracked) will be

P1010120.jpg

And reporting on the rearmost of the three bubbles, yup I can live with that one

No Clear on it to fog it out a little

My new ones will not be getting Cleared ever again, it hinders clarity in my opinion

• Like 10
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, perdu said:

My new ones will not be getting Cleared ever again, it hinders clarity in my opinion

I fully agree with that; whenever I vac form or plounge mould a new canopy/transparent part, I don't coat it with anything. The only exception I can remember being the wingtip lights from my recent C205 build, on which I brushed a tiny amount of Aqua Gloss on; but they had been fairly mistreated while fairing them in, so the clear coat basically restored most of the original clarity; hadn't they been mangled, I wouldn't have coated them at all. Just my :2c: 

Ciao

• Like 3

That's a shame Bill.

I must admit that I would tend to not coat vacform canopies as they are so clear and seem to have the right kind of sheen to them.  If I were to coat I think that I would only use the Johnsons Klear stuff, which is fantastic and doesn't fog or colour.

L O bloomin L Tom

That is a real blast from a different country, wasn't that about the time F1 got Grid Girls?

Anyway  CED

I do not want anyone to think I'm turning into Ced

(mind you that wasnt such a bad idea was it? I  am Ced... No I am Ced... Noooo I am...)

Actually I am not Ced but the Charity thing has a driver included, so I decided to have a little go at painting the blimmin thing

I AM NOT CED

P1010122.jpg

See?

Meet Sergeant Pilot Smudge

Or Sergeant Blott

Anyway, anyone who remembers the Hansom will recall that figure painting is not my forté

He is a sort of figure in flux for now

P1010123.jpg

When I get a configuration  I like I will zip him over with a light mist of Tamiya TS 80

He is wearing the latest from givenchyuniforms in Vallejo junk colors

P1010125.jpg

Aha

I see his stripes have run, where did I put that thickn brush?

• Like 13

Blimey

The Big H comes through again

Ordered Wednesday, delivered Friday and not using first class posting and I think that is unbeatable service, well done Hannants

So I am about to cut out the next one, should I perhaps take the pack to club and ask Tom to cut it to size for me instead?

Do I sense fear? My own?

Der...

No first I intend finishing Sergeant Smudger Blott's flying gear, then maybe get on with it all

• Like 2

What a day, a ride to Herts and conversations with eighties racing driver John Watson about no lesser personages than Nikki and Bernie and Colin then a ride home afterwards

And when I get home there is another package awaiting

I now own one of the 'two left' of this item Formula 560 Cockpit Glue

Another very decent postal performance

And I have this to display

Guess what, Hasegawa didnt quite locate the control column properly

P1010138.jpg

This sits right under the ip, I have had to lean it quite violently into the driver's leg-pit to put it together

P1010139.jpg

But together it is done

With Smudger sitting pretty, me thinkss

Et now

Smudge at work

P1010141.jpg

Apart from the missing scalloping under the trailing edge wingroots I might even not botha

• Like 7

I tend to worry about stuff I can fix

But as the brief with the Charity Build is build ONLY what comes in the box except paint and glue (phew) pulling the stick back into the driver's crotch is enough for me

I have to say this little Hasegawa kit is superb, generally (for its age) very fine fit  all over except under the wing to fuselage rear join

Which didnt matter acos I was going to scallop the trailing edge fillet anyway

Which I have done, just a bit.

Not a full on rebuild

P1010145.jpg

Doesnt show up here much but it has refined the fillet edge with a fine undercut

I declare this early small bulge canopied Mk 1 ready for Dark Earth

P1010143.jpg

Lightest smidgeon of PPP and a fine wipe with a dampish cotton bud

P1010144.jpg

Best kit ever from the charity bin bag even if it isn't a Tamiya tank kit like last year

:)

Now then

On with my new Falcon Gannet transparency surgery job

Chat tomorrow

• Like 6

An update of the Postal persuasion

Plans finally hit the Royal Snail today guys

An update of the Gannetary persuasion

Much grinding of dentistry, the NEW Falcon canopy went on but is not as pristine a fit as the first one  :(  grrrr

The right front screen panel refuses to line up with the hole it should sit outside of, looks like it has to come off again and everything needs trimming of dried 560 and maybe a retainer ridge putting along the screen hole so the panels sit where they should

Laters guys

• Like 1

A pair of guide ridges now added to the screen region

P1010167.jpg

Hope these stop the flexible stuff flexing inwardly

P1010168.jpg

I need to paint them NATO black first so maybe back on tomorrow

That one shot at the top shows quite well the trailing edge tip extensions I had to do, Frog missed that off the otherwise reasonably accurate wing planforms

In fact there is a small discrepancy on the aileron length but I have decided to forgive them for that

Nice aint I?

:)

• Like 14

9 hours ago, perdu said:

A pair of guide ridges now added to the screen region

Smart stuff! :worthy: 

9 hours ago, perdu said:

In fact there is a small discrepancy on the aileron length but I have decided to forgive them for that

Nice aint I?

As always ... :D

Ciao

• Haha 1

Thanks James but no I won't be needing it, this one detached clean and safely

It will pop back on nicely when the ridges have been touched in

I can't thank you enough for the help you have already given me

Reminds me, I need to send you a couple of blue wheels

👍

• Like 1

Canopies are my betnwah too Bill.

If only they weren't so transparent to show up the slightest speck of dust and fingerprint.

I bought a cheap vacuum holder thingy (you know the sort, little rubber cup on one end) to try and avoid getting my dabs all over the hood. Bloody thing has less suck than an asthmatic bandicoot  and just deposits the transparency unexpectedly in the nearest pile of fluff.

That last photo with wings outspread by the keyboard - how fine is that beast looking now with all that extra white on grey pampering! :clap:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2