Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

And I have just finished masking with paper the strengthening plate places for a few oversprays of thickish paint

Message for James: Message reads: Do these stiffening things show up underneath XA466 too?

Message back to Bill: get yerself into the pictures James has posted and answer it for yourself

Its OK James I'm on it

Picture

P1010014.jpg

A few flashovers with any colour just to build up the plate positions next

(these plates can be used underneath after they come off the top)

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, perdu said:

A few flashovers with any colour just to build up the plate positions next

(these plates can be used underneath after they come off the top)

Ingenious! :worthy:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Thanks 1

I am not going to run round shouting that the sky is falling in, oh no.

Just mind your head, just saying...

:whistle:

This is scanned from my bible, the 4+ drawings

4_scan_crop.png

Which magnificently does its best to display all the warts and all of the subject, herein the tailplane fillets that cover the incidence change

I have come to rely on this piece of magic but a slight discrepancy raises its pretty little head

fairey_gannet_ecm.6_19_of_36.jpg

still a few seconds of extra trimming will sort that out

• Like 2

All right missus, here's one, here's one

Freshly filleted Gannet

Bottom

P1010028.jpg

P1010026.png

A little light brushwork will make that look about right

Edited by perdu
My gaffer's shopping list even I am embarrased
  • Like 9

Hi Martian, hope you are OK sir

been wondering...

Anyway, I thought I'd try this for the plate masking tasking

A scan of the 4+ plans across a strip of Tamiya tape

P1010030.jpg

Good transparency anyway but with tape on the paper I hope we can cut out the plates on a sticky-er medium to keep overspray at bay

P1010031.jpg

This is printed across the tape, works well but it stuck to the paper

doh...

This, given the sheet of paper stuck over the wings is Plan A and the Tamiya tape is Plan B must be Plan C

Plastic book covering film cut to A4, straightened out twenty times to remove the natural curl that would stop it going through the printer

P1010033.jpg

This in natural indoor light from the camera

This in flash

P1010034.jpg

I will be cutting out the stiffener panels and trimming the film to suit then fit them in place of the paper ones

If the paper ones don't work out, all this is contingency stuff

Now do you remember these?

P1010002.jpg

Beautiful little cutters, came November-ish for trimming sprue gates and other plasticy jobs

I pulled down the LED lights from our garden tree this morning and a shortish length of the light run caught in the trees branches and snapped at a joint

Because touching the end of the cable got the LEDs lit up again I thought, simple job, strip off a length of the heat shrink tube and touch in with solder and pack em away for later this year

Snip with the nice new cutters

Duck!

P1010032.jpg

This really was not being asked to do much, just snip an end on the shrink tube, not even cutting the wire insde

Just missed my eyes and I was glad I had my reading specs on because an inch closer and I'd have had a chipped lens or worse

Don't trust 'em if they're pink

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

Phew, glad it missed Bill! Are those the ones Tony was raving about too? I've still got an old pair of genuine Xurons an ex member of our model club gave me (he came to one meeting with about a dozen pairs he'd appropriated from somewhere!) - with luck they'll outlast me!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Flippin' ' eck Bill - I have some pink cutters too so I'll take care! Could've had yer eye out!

That scan / mask / paper / film stuff looks interesting but I've lost track of what you're trying to do! If you want me to try something with the new cutter let me know :)

• Haha 1

I wouldnt worry TOO much Ced, but do make sure your eyes are protected at all times when using cutting equipment

That should do it

(They've decent enough eye pertection at Poundland, Tommy Walsh [who he?] recommends them for a quid )

The wires in the lights have little brass ferrules in which each pair of cables is crimped it is possible the cutters caught one of those although I had to strip the plastic shrink tube back even further to find it  :(

Never mind, if you only use them on nails or sprues it should be OK, I'm trying to decide whether to buy another set, it could just be fatigue stress that broke it after all

Cheapo Chinese steel maybe, with bubbles in the casting so I shan't cast  aspersions

The job I am doing/planning is to create a set of raised up stiffening plates atop and under the wings, but I think I can feel tectonic plates move acos it is taking me so long

I might just give up or try talking Steve Friday into etching them in his experimental dungeon

Or better still just stick tape down and cut away the outside shapes, they are very thinly raised on the upper and lower wings  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

P1010035.jpg

P1010038.jpg

P1010041.jpg

P1010042.jpg

This sequence of rubbish actualy shows the results of trying out my concept on my workbench

Far easier to remove from melamine® than an elderly Frog/Novo Gannet

(Its all gone now, by the way)

I only stuck the tape onto the bench for the craic and after a couple of dollops of Airfix LAG followed by no 34 the poorly cut out tape was lifted to see how it went

Considering my lack of care taken, I think it will do the trick over there on the Gannet

• Like 4

Where's Fritag?????;)

DJ9bJVB.jpg

Alternatively you could make a template from thick plastic card with a hole of the right shape and use a pointed tool to cut some plates out of thin plastic card....

Then You could use Tamiya new light green cap liquid glue to stick them to the wings.

I used this system and the end result is fine.:yes:

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I keep having to remind myself that impatience will be the death'o'me, that would probably work nicely, I just always want another way

Not even likely to be a better way either :(

This idea did work but as I just remarked impatience got in the way

P1010072.jpg

I unmasked it early because I used paper to mask it

And painted it in water soluble paint with a fresh water carrier to thin it out

Doh, Ripples'R'Us

Second coat ran below the surface and ran and...

P1010073.jpg

As proof of concept I think it worked, but I need to test with the book covering film version

See this space...

As I had black paint in the airbrush, and incidentally the reason I had black paint (humbrol 85) in the airbrush I gave these their much needed coat of 'black Gannet Accomodations for the use of'...

P1010075.jpg

P1010074.jpg

The Airwaves Gannetery afforded a drop of Hu85 in the vain hope of some contrast 'Down In The Hole' (©The Wire credits) which  hasnt' been massively successful

But a dusting of some pastels and touch up with the water-colour pencils should give us more resolution, I think they'll do

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, perdu said:

As proof of concept I think it worked, but I need to test with the book covering film version

My :2c: : if I was to do anything like that, I would spray a thick-ish layer of Vallejo Grey Primer. I agree on the masking medium, though.

Ciao

• Like 1