Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

20 hours ago, hendie said:

Isn't that the pull cord that you start the engine with?  I had one of those on my old lawnmower.

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

We used to try that gag on sprog Tiffs (inexperienced Artificers, for those who don’t speak military).  

Although this photo was set up for 'Flight', this was a genuine (and fleeting!) idea by an engineering officer on 820 Sqn at RNAS Eglinton C.1957 to start Gannets if they landed away to somewhere without cartridges or air start, and presumably lots of fit and willing Jack Tars!

The rope was wound around the spinner and the aircraft end of the rope had an adapted arrestor hook end which fitted over a prop blade, designed to disengage when pulled away. 

Needless to say it didn't work, they couldn't run fast enough to get a Mamba up to lighting speed.

One can only imagine what would have happened if the engine started and the hook got caught!

38683494114_5a4b060cd3_b.jpgGannet AS.1 XA394 325 B wind up by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

At Connel airfield near Oban in the early 80s,usually reliable Walter refused to start as the wind was blowing straight into the exhausts.

The two local flying club guys thought I was taking the p when I asked if they would mind giving us a push. (turned it nose to wind and started first time)

That's an excellent photo James,thanks for posting it.

• Like 4

Well I did eventually get to here

Not sure it was a good idea because of adding detail to the wings and things but its done now

P1010005.jpg

Having to borrow the Eastern Ex ones finlets to cast a new pair because I lost the ones off this kit back in the mists of time

P1010008.jpg

Oh well laters guys

• Like 11

Just found this thread while looking for COD info for my 48th build later in the year, after just starting it last year....

You're doing a cracking job perdu. The nose seems to be an issue generally, even the much Lauded Classic Airframes kit leaves a bit to be desired.

Seeing chally's pictures of the rear cockpit my first job will be removing my attempt. Ho Hum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Along with a little art class stuff I'm doing tonight I have to work out how best to do the incidence thingmys on the tailplanes

There is a kind of cover at the junction with the fin which seems to cover a slide mechanism

I'm trying to see if there is a gap where the tailplane joins the front as the kit 'planes are a bit meh

Anyway the skin detailing is under way

• Like 1

4+ to the rescue at a gallop

The tailplane is hinged at the front spar and hydraulically controlled according to the needs of the aircraft in flight

Also linked to the operation of the flaps

Right, on with that then next

• Like 1

There isn't a gap I'm afraid, unlike the Canberra the Gannet has covers, top and underside, that cover any gap and the operating mechanism.

The tailplane incidence only changes in conjunction with the flaps, ie not for in flight trimming purposes, so as the flaps travel down the tailplane decreases in incidence.

Basically, only change the tailplane incidence if you are modelling flaps deployed.

• Like 1

Just reading about that in the magic book, there's a nice photo of a Gannet landing with the tailplane incidence set for landing with the flaps

I was not going to change the tailplane position anyway, just seeking information of any gap

Pleased and relieved that I can smooth the tailplanes into the fin and model the protecting plates, thanks James

This is one of the clearest shots I have showing the tailplane incidence being changed through the flap position.

25612135918_7400cecde5_c.jpgGannet AS.4 XA426 Farnborough by James Thomas, on Flickr

The idea came about originally because due to the contstant speed nature of the engine the props had to change pitch for the varying power/speed regimes, on approach to a carrier these could be quite demanding and caused an issue with the elevator control in some positions.  The flap/tailplane link was the fix, however it was deleted for the AEW.3.

24615634297_a91c1a6bab_c.jpgGannet COD.4 XA466 tailplane join by James Thomas, on Flickr

24615633707_9820deaff9_c.jpgGannet COD.4 XA466 tailplane join by James Thomas, on Flickr

Hopefully these will help with those tailplane junction panels

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

I just love threads like this where I can learn more about the actual aircraft and its intricacies. Many thanks for your input James!

Ian

• Like 1

Well look at that, right at the front of the tailplane's edge, a slight slot

So if I make the fillets top and bottom the slight slot at the front will be kosher

Purrups

Massimo I intend doing massive work on the flaps

in another lifetime and a different kit

I really hope a: there is reincarnation and b: there are still Frog kits to play with when I come back

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just a good night all shot

The area marked out where the strengthening fillets are to go

Thinking about marking them out on the wing skin then implying them (they are not very thick when in place even though they are visible) them with a thin layer of Mr Dissolved Putty, then removing the masking I plan to put on leaving a very shallow stiffener in relief

P1010011.jpg

ciao chaps

• Like 5

I very much doubt that!

Almost 30 years ago I started writing a book on the Gannet, I've met many interesting 'Gannet' people on the way but it still remains a manuscript - if I can impart some of that info here and it helps a little, then it brings me some joy!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't you just love it when you come home from the sales shop

P1010013.jpg

OK My LMS isn't given to frequently discounting stuff, but does have a good supply of unexpected stuff

Who told him about Tamiya's Curvy Line masking tape huh?

He was always just a decent supplier of glue and Humbrol but these days he has lots of unexpected stuff

Citadel and Alclad paints, all the ranges of Vallejo I know of and even Revell paints

A pleasure to spend twenty or thirty quid there these days

Can I just use... ?

ps, the resin I ordered at the weekend just landed too, yeehaw!

Edited by perdu
  • Like 6