Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

A couple of disclosing coats of Humbrol Primer shows up the work needed

P1010174.jpg

Difficult to make out here, there is a groove of enormous dimension needing filler

P1010177.jpg

And the baseplate for the pylon shoe gets faired in, it isnt a flat unsealed plate, to look at it

The white at the front is PPP which I consider to be adequate or even better perfect for this kind of cosmetic treatment

P1010178.jpg

There is a groove down the tail section too, similarly fixed, wet sanding tomorrow

From the photos I see that the upper nose profile needs rounding down a bit more

Call me Hoskins if I miss this round-out, OK

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Minor update

Casting's online

(Not sure if I need this here but both builds will benefit from Paloustes)

making the secondary buck for detail work is underway, over on the Buccaneering thread

so:

P1010247.jpg

And I did manage to get some fresh paint on the Gannet although, sadly my Colourcoats RAFBG went nasty in the airbrush colour cup

I presume this will have been a clash of old thinners, new sansodor thinners  and the weather combining

Luckily I still have my old jar of Compucolor2 RAFBG so I gave it a top coat to reveal whether the filled repairs will do

A little light sanding will finish that bit off then I  can get my new paint(s) order off to Jamie

It wasnt worth photographing bad paint so I didnt

Edited by perdu
  • Like 8

I would normally agree with that basic principle Crisp, unfortunately mine decided to play sausage machines inside my airbrush, where did I leave that auger?

:(

I will be sending in a fresh order this week for a later vintage, however after nigh on forty years in my possession I can also vouch for the old-tyme Compucolour2 version too

lovely and superbly jubbley

Jamie at Sovereign Hobbies came through in good order, the Colourcoats order arrived today, yippee

I knew there  was a lot of work to do on the wings and fuselage so I used the old paint as a disclosure coat

In the manner of a MOD film of the fifties/sixties I shot a few state of the game shots in b&w

P1140223.jpg

Some minor stuff near the fold line, bad stuff on top of the cabin, time for the ubiquitous sanding stick

Very nasty in this macro shot

P1140226.jpg

So sand away Sandy

P1140228.jpg

Time for more huh

Good job we've enough paint :)

The flap panels need sanding flatter too and underneath there's loads to do

P1140230.jpg

P1140229.jpg

Oh well bring it on

Funny thing, the port wing hasn't suffered anything near as much damage

P1140224.jpg

Lighter sanding on that side is called for

:)

• Like 8

As I said, lots to do

The surround to the flap cover panels is irritating me somewhat, let's have a little play with them

P1140233.jpg

Trailing edge of the inner one has particularly taken my eye, blimey it even looks bad to the nekkid eyeball

Chip some of it away as a preliminary move

P1140238.jpg

Then a bit more

P1140239.jpg

That and the trailing edge inboard by the walkway should sand lightly smoother I reckon, that is a tomorrow job

Its Friday

I did do the crapulous joints under the fold though

PPP wetted

P1140236.jpg

P1140237.jpg

That can be trimmed and tidied now, phew

• Like 11

at least you won't be getting bored over the next few days. 

Do you ever wonder what it would be like to get a kit that fit together well, had all the detail you required, was in the right scale, and was accurate.... would you ever want to build it?

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, hendie said:

Do you ever wonder what it would be like to get a kit that fit together well, had all the detail you required, was in the right scale, and was accurate.... would you ever want to build it?

Yes I would!  That greatest of resources, time, seems to be getting extremely scarce round here.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, hendie said:

This perfect kit

I suppose it would come already trimmed off the mould gates

The parts would be precoloured (precolored for our transatlantics) and just fall together so well they would not need adhesives and just a whiff of Tamiya Green would bond them for ever?

:hmmm:

omigod

I just saw hell

I'll stick with 'close enough' Froggies, Airfixers and even the occasional Haselerivell kits thanks  :drink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

14 minutes ago, perdu said:

The parts would be precoloured (precolored for our transatlantics) and just fall together so well they would not need adhesives and just a whiff of Tamiya Green would bond them for ever?

Almost sounds like an un-assembled diecast....!!:D

K

• Haha 7

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing this in from the page 8 paddock I have been adding the aerial upstand that is fitted to later Gannets

P1010271.jpg

To be 'in keeping' I hope we cause a real Gannet Ripple

Mind you when this gets painted will there be a Gannet Ripple?

Not going to be room for a Stormy Petrel onna stick anyway

;)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 10

Floored with a ghastly dose of something flu I like this morning but the sight of your Grey Excellence has lifted the spirits enormously at breakfast Bill. An upstanding upstand!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I hope you understand this Scimitar

That is a ice cream, I'm having difficulty seeing a Gannet in there at all

I think that was why I flunked impressionism at school

Gannet is in the paint shop, Jamie's fresh paint arrived and I just want a decent day with low humidity to hit the airbrush with it

Busy making the weapons pylon to hang the Palouste off tonight

:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Some of this week's work

Nose leg fitted, thank you James

P1010289.jpg

And odds and sods of surface detailing done

P1010290.jpg

And tidied up

and the new pylon en route to finished, not there yet

P1010291.jpg

• Like 13

That little white thing has now been attached to the Palouste

P1010292.jpg

And the pylon for the baggage pod has been suitably beefed up too

P1010293.jpg

These will be suitably ruggedised and details like steady arms added then a visit the paint shop, looks likely to be a dry enough day for it tomorrow

Gannet gets some too, yeehah

These pylons are quite beefy across the width, observed in photos and the 4+ plans, it seems the Buccaneer's pylons have bulges top and bottom

Must find better drawings for them next, then I can get rocketing on with all three

Edited by perdu
  • Like 7