Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

3 hours ago, perdu said:

(Its not Milliput time yet, we still have these dreadful heavy cold/flu symptoms here) and work out whetehr the gap in the diameter underneath the front opened door, just above the letter E is a flat area or a hole

40734839151_d06e2ba491_c.jpg

bare with as I have gone down with something horrible - knocked me right out.

That gap under the E is a removable panel, and said panel was stuffed away in the hose storage area.

I wish I measured it now, but I think the aft joing band (just ahead of H) was of the same diameter or near as dammit as C1.

I deliberatly took the pics from reasonably far away to leason lens distortion etc.

Great ingenuity as usual Bill!

• Thanks 1

It sounds as if we are in the middle of some awful pandemic

I have been less well than a person who is very unhealthy, just beginning to get my head back as my wife has become af/infected and now we have James with lurgy too

The rest of you are advised not to log on here, just in case...

But while you are, here thanks James that means I can make that part a fully closed rounded entity

I intend making a few copies that can then be hacked open to cover the variously seen 'this panel open-that panel open' choices

I've been giving thought to that cover at the back, with a spindle attachment into the inner bulkhead

It seems the right size for the three wheels to fit into via that spindle, that would surely help keep the tyres from burning on hot jetpipe exits

The hose is apparently made with an asbestos-alike covering, that obviously must get hot but I would not expect the tyres to be kept in the same place, doesnt make sense

Does  the bracket for the front wheel stay on or is that bunged into the back pas cavity?

Any thoughts chaps?

• Like 5

Thanks Bill, I wasn't sure that I was getting the right level sympathy here:lalala:

All of the red noseleg assembly comes off, being located by pip pin.

I like your theory about the wheels stowage, and it would make sense from a perspective of positively storing them, but looking at the numbered diagram it doesn't seem to back that up, and the rear compartment doesn't get that hot.

I have handled the hose, it didn't strike me as asbestos, but perhaps it is in the construction of it. It's a ribbed sort of nylon rubber on the outside.

I wish there was a key to that numbered diagram as it would tell us everything.  Horizon have got a manual but it is buried away somewhere!

We now need the advice of someone who may have used these in service, @Roof Rat

• Thanks 1

Right...

Thanks I hope he picks up the reference and spreads the news

That little rear extension confuses me then, it is obviously expensively engineered to have a purpose

After a long time in industry I can guarantee nothing that complex happens by accident

Why the threaded rod and the removable end cap?

Any road up I hope to get Milliputting later this afternoon if my head can stand it, also got huge chunks of front intake area to remove to make the S1 intakes viable

Then more Milliputtery

I sometimes wish I'd taken up photography as a obby when I were a lad

Then I think on the pleasure all this daft intricacy has given me and say "soddit this is fun"

😀

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, perdu said:

That little rear extension confuses me then, it is obviously expensively engineered for a purpose

After a long time in industry I can guarantee nothing that complex happens by accident

Why the threaded rod and the removable end cap?

😀

Absolutely! And I'm certainly intrigued, you could be right of course but the drawing seems to show something else.

It definitely has a purpose as the earlier pods didn't have this odd feature.

In the other thread I did proffer that maybe the hose to aircraft coupling (which is quite chunky) fitted in there.

That short 'pole' sticking out above the middle of the pod ( above the instruments) has me wondering as well.

My wife reckons I haven't got enough to do in my life!

Edited by 71chally
  • Haha 3

She, of course sadly

Is wrong, very, very wrong but you can't tell 'em can you

The answer is out there, hopefully one day it will be in here

😀

• Haha 2

Nice work Bill, coming along nicely (whatever it is)

Impressed to see the sihrsc with a wooden handle, the sign of an experienced modeller. Nice :D

• Thanks 1

More heavy duty thinking here

That 'pole' edifice

This pod is air portable, check?

This pod is self contained check?

This pod must have an internal fuel supply in a tank, check?

Would it be an atmospheric vent for the tank?

Seems likely to me

Massimo, yes my friend I think you may, just may have spotted such a device in the box of wonders and miracles

And Ced, of course I use the wooden file handle that God and L***ead gave me in 1976, the little beauty is practically an heirloom

Certainly veteran if not quite vintage...

😇

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

All of the red noseleg assembly comes off,

Reading the first few words there immediately after your sympathy comment made me wonder what dreaded lurgy had inflicted itself on you lot over the wall.

Glad to hear you are all slowly returning to rude health.

Bug takes about a week to clear from the sinuses but stays in chest a wee bit longer.(my version anyway)

A wee story about the Palouste starter.

In the mid sixties about half a dozen of us spotters used to gather at the pillbox on the golf course at the end of HMS Fulmar's runway 23.

Many a time we came rushing out into the rain to find that the jet which had just started was a Palouste being tested.

Amazing how the thread develops, Gannet one minute and a wee pod the next.

In case you run out of ideas Bill / James, I found this.

mid_000000.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, perdu said:

That 'pole' edifice

Would it be an atmospheric vent for the tank?

It is far to stout and solid for a fuel vent. 

When we maneuvered the pod it was from near this area as it was easy to steer and push for one person, I was about to suggest that it might be a handle for moving around.

Now I'm going to sound stupid (more than normal), looking at the pics it has 'Hand Hold' written at the base of it!

I'm guessing it's easily removable for flight.

I would also guess that any tank venting can be done from within the pod structure.

That Sea Hawk contraption looks interesting Richard!?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Is there a decent Sea Hawk around these days

Special Hobby in 1/72 and Trumpeter do 1/48.

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

That Sea Hawk contraption looks interesting Richard!?

A banner target rolled up inside the tube. You can just make out the wire from it to the cable reel.

More details here :

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205163877

Note that is RNAS Ford,not Lossie.

Don't think it ever entered service.

• Like 1

This has been happening, over on the Buccaneer thread, I think it has more relevance in here

P1010140.jpg

You can probably see that it hasnt been too happy to be sihrsced but of course nothing tells sihrsc to b. off

She do what she want to like any lady do

P1010141.jpg

And stuff happens

P1010142.jpg

This shows the lighter areas from the rule depth gauging which helps guide the file

P1010144.jpg

Looking at the unfilled bits you would think there was more filling needed than actually was

P1010146.jpg

But blimey, it's proper hard for the file card

P1010143.jpg

Oops I thought I took a better one than that but I didnt, the file needs unclogging every couple of minutes because the Milliput has not entirely set off

P1010145.jpg

This is ready for a polish, then into the latex vat for buck moulding

Expecting a couple of workable bucks to reshape with open hatches of choice by the weekend

• Like 7

I decided to remain in ignorance, I just got a feeling you know

Anyway, as well as Buccynearing there's been progress here

But only just

I have now prepared the Palouste for dipping in the vat of latex

See, behold

a handle to hold it with during the dip

P1010162.jpg

This will be trimmed to size later to finish the unit before surgery happens

Night all

• Like 6

Good morning all

Evocative daylight shot  "Northlight, sunny morn, pylon shoe addition"

P1010163.jpg

I had to decide where to stop/begin with prep for 'casting from'.

I have pictures now of Paloustes with two different pylon mounts, the early ball and socket type and the later two lug NATO type

Decided to make them undecided, so when finished I can alter to suit

This is the pylon shoe atop the pod, it will get cast the lugs will not

Artyfarty in flash

P1010164.jpg

The hole in the rear extension is to stop it dropping too far into the latex, later :)

P1010165.jpg

OK its not a lot, whaddaya expect before breakfast

laters guys

Edited by perdu
  • Like 8