Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

And who is it that wants some red codes, eh mush....?!

:doh:Ahem,sorry Keith,I did not think you were listening.:whistle:

Very interesting post perdu,you must have a big workbench,if the Gannet is anything to go by.:lol:

Edited by celt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, perdu said:

Ah yes I think you need that chap in South Wales

He, I'm told, has a big one

Oy, you leave my nose out of this....oh, you're talking about the chap from Saints....:blush:

Dunno why you were 'confused' about my post about the Andover drawings Bill, I simply meant you could use them to knock up a quick scratchbuilt companion to the lovely Sherpa.. :P :D

K

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, perdu said:

"And talking about discoveries

Can anyone suggest reasons I would have large scale plans for the de H Mosquito?" 

Forgive me for being flippant Bill, but may it be for the purpose of building a large scale DH Mosquito :P

• Haha 2

I rather think it came about due to plans a chap I knew when I was an ATC instructor was contemplating, in our cups at the Punch Bowl after parade night

We'd have a few and discuss barmy things like flying a Mossie with replica little Merlin's

How that drivel ended up with my data store holding a huge Mosquito plan all folded up tightly I shudder to contemplate

Are you still soaking up sunshine, sunshine?

😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, perdu said:

Are you still soaking up sunshine, sunshine?

I am Bill, and beer too B) :drink:but then it's back to brrrr chilly Brum on Friday. Still looking on the bright(ish) side, I am looking forward to getting back to some modelling again.

• Haha 1

I'll get in and watch that now James thanks

I was wondering if anybody has an interest in seeing me founder for ages a long time ago?

I was at my first Scalemodelworld with my mate Bill2 (There aretwo Bills in our Midget and Sprite Club and I was club area rep so I got bill1 he got bill2, as you do) and I saw the old Catalina going very cheap

And couldnt resist

161798-22111-28-pristine.jpg

This one

Dad flew in them in the war so we built my first one when I was a young teenage modeller

Needed another when I saw it, 2011 ish maybe earlier

Is it worth showing many of the pictures I took during the task?

Things like this?

Catalina_Build_008.jpg

I'm asking because I have had to pause the Gannet and Bucc for a short while and I found this huge file when I was browsing the modelling folders in my pooter

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, perdu said:

Is it worth showing many of the pictures I took during the task?

Things like this?

It surely is!!!!:like:

Vintage models bring memories back and can be a good base for a great kit!

You've alredy demonstrated this theory!!!

Come on! It's show time!!!;)

• Haha 1

How on earth did this get all the way back to page 5?

:(

After turning the house upside down I found my Falcons, literally

Searched every modelling capable cupboard and bookshelf

Even peered into the cold and inhospitable garage

Then I found it two feet away from my left elbow, derrr

And doh

Anyway here is the reason I was searching for it

P1010112.jpg

Time to mask up and keep the dust out, there is a lot of surface working to do now

The wingtip trailing edge extensions are on as are the bulges over the flap actuators so I want to consolidate the surface to see where the extra bits will go and what needs cleaning off

What I really need is this

P1010113.jpg

I want to use this G S Hypo glue but have not had much success with making it actually stick anything even though it has had critical acclaim from jewellers

I vaguely remember one of us (Crisp???) saying it needed warming up before use and would appreciate a 'heads-up'

There is so much greenhouse that I would hate to have it fog using stupogoo and I doubt if Gator's Grip will stand up robustly to frequent cutting and stabbing whilst I make the masking up

in other news

This big box arrived for the Catalina

P1010111.jpg

Yes there are some pieces of white metal in there, without opening I can see bent bits

Please let them be OK  :o

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, perdu said:

...................Yes there are some pieces of white metal in there, without opening I can see bent bits

Please let them be OK  :o

I've learnt (the hard way) that warming white metal parts before reshaping is worthwhile, takes the edge off the brittleness that white metal has (particularly when cold).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, perdu said:

I vaguely remember one of us (Crisp???) saying it needed warming up before use and would appreciate a 'heads-up'

I used it on the Lysander build and it seemed to hold up okay - was a fresh tube if that makes any difference. Other than that I didn't perform any mumbo-jumbo to get it to work

• Thanks 1

I need a new Formula 560 Cockpit Glue

I managed to get enough to settle the transparency at the front

P1010114.jpg

And while it dried I seeped a little G-S Hypo in at front and back

When that sets (tomorrow?) I will trim it and follow up by fitting the rear canopy

P1010115.jpg

A little trimmage on that too and it's Unca Bob's time

The white mist on the tail end is Stylnrez, I need to refine my methods with that if I'm to get comfortable with it

As you can see I need to get the edges of the 'bulges' tidied up when the primer is on

And trim the rear canopy more  :)

These Falcon units are very good, and I need to ease the fit between the front and back and maybe slice a thin tad off the lowest edges

Also a note to Bill

finish making the front intake vent behind the prop location

• Like 11