Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 21:49, Scimitar said:

One from me too!

avalize_4.jpg

Just kidding and checking that you haven't had too much of the Christmas sherry yet.

Just when you think Christmas can't get any worse, some Muppet reminds me I have the Fonderie Miniatures 1/48 kit in the stash. It was a present from the Martianess and as such will have to be built at some point.

Martian

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Just when you think Christmas can't get any worse, some Muppet reminds me I have the Fonderie Miniatures 1/48 kit in the stash. It was a present from the Martianess and as such will have to be built at some point.

Martian

This is another of those ugly things that makes me shiver, but it's some how Gannet-related, and may result an interesting build for the future!!!

Go for it Martian!!!;)

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Massimo you should be helping our alien to forget these horrors, not blatantly encouraging his dearly beloved to divert him too deeply across La Manche

Tut tut

Not elegant like the dear ol' Gannet at all...

🎅🎅🎅🎅 😲

• Haha 4

I love the dear old Alize', used to regularly see them up close when they were on exercise at St Mawgan.  Again, another clever ASW package.

I've considered getting the FM 48th kit but a bit costly for me, I'm getting bad vibes from Martians post though, are there issues with it?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I love the dear old Alize', used to regularly see them up close when they were on exercise at St Mawgan.  Again, another clever ASW package.

I've considered getting the FM 48th kit but a bit costly for me, I'm getting bad vibes from Martians post though, are there issues with it?

Are there issues with the kit? Well, the shape is OK and the canopy fits but the kit very poorly moulded and other than the main airframe parts just about every part, large and small in the kit needs replacing from scratch or completely reworking. Add to this Fonderie's instructions which are all but incomprehensionable to even native French speakers, I checked this point with Corsaircorp and some of his friends at Telford, and you have all the ingredients for a one way trip to the funny farm. I still shudder when I remember the fun and games I had with their Piasecki H-21 Flying Banana.

Don't let me discourage you though!

Martian von Still having Counselling

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Don't let me discourage you though!

I thank that you probably have!

I either like to buy a cheap kit and improve it, or buy a more expensive kit and build with few improvements, the FM kit sounds like the worst of both worlds!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I thank that you probably have!

I either like to buy a cheap kit and improve it, or buy a more expensive kit and build with few improvements, the FM kit sounds like the worst of both worlds!

Just about sums it up!

Martian

• Like 1

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Not elegant like the dear ol' Gannet at all...

Could be worse though!

Blackburn_b-88.jpg

12 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

some Muppet

Just as well you used the capital M there. If you hadn't I was going to send you the 1/48th Starfix Spitfire..the one with the two starboard wings.

• Haha 6

On 24/12/2017 at 9:36 PM, 71chally said:

Gannet311Start2.jpg

Pictures courtesy of Fleet Air Arm Association Australia https://www.faaaa.asn.au/gannet-images-media/

Clearly fake news; you can see the flex running out of shot on the left.  

[Great photo!  I love that silver and orange spinner combo]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am not modelling snow for anyone...

I have however been lazily making new jetpipes for the exhausty end of the ducts

And getting my baggage pods ready for casting, moulding to begin over the weekend if I can get the garage ambient up a tad towards b**** freezing so the latex will set -  brrr

P1140167.jpg

Postimage is running very slowly today...

P1140169.jpg

really slowly

P1140166.jpg

Frog's jetpipe ends are a little bit "OK ish but needs definition... and a hole out the back"

This ought to look OK when the paint is on it

Soon, now they are done I will be bunging the wings and tail surfaces on

Edited by perdu
  • Like 12

On 12/27/2017 at 11:07 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Clearly fake news; you can see the flex running out of shot on the left.

Isn't that the pull cord that you start the engine with?  I had one of those on my old lawnmower.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I had a blonde moment here:

P1140169.jpg

...thinking: 'Gosh - the real thing looks just like a resin part - Bill shouldn't have much trouble with that.'

Then a bit later I saw the tweezers.

And noticed that the pod was levitating in mid-air.

:doh:

I'm going to go now. It's clearly all a bit much first thing in the morning. 

(I likes them exhaust ends very much however!)

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, hendie said:

Isn't that the pull cord that you start the engine with?  I had one of those on my old lawnmower.

We used to try that gag on sprog Tiffs (inexperienced Artificers, for those who don’t speak military).  Stick your head into the line (having first plotted with the Watch Chief, of course) and shout “Just out for a ground run on 508; someone to marshall the start, please”.  The others would look to young Tiffy & offer encouraging words about how a simple ground run is a great way to learn, so out he’d trot... to find a spread Sea King with a vast length of rope running from the rotor head to the towing hook of a trusty Fordson tractor [this was ashore; you’d never get away with this embarked!].

Pilot would then do a deliberate failed start on No.1 (“forgetting” to make the right switch could guarantee this), and then stick head out of window and shout that they’d have to jump start the engines from the rotor.

Few fell for it, but on one occasion I had to intervene before a young man raced off on his tractor...

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Haha 7