Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

6 hours ago, perdu said:

I only need the dimensions cos I have loads of tanks and missiles to convert

Don't worry

😊

Some guy on here did a conversion for the "Baggage carriers" all dimensions were itemised and plenty of phots taken, unfortunatly photobucket kicked in and corrupted all the pictures.................the item can be found here

Many of the photos in the article can be found here on "Google"

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=baggage+pods+fairey+gannet&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizuL6KkIDYAhXoJMAKHcwOC2QQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=912#imgrc=bu_FSM9_PhFbyM:

The Gannet did not carry fuel tanks, as from previous article you will now know they were Baggage Carriers...........for carrying mail, supplies, pilots kit, ect, ect.  If the Gannet needed extra fuel for an extra long journey, it had a ful cell inserted into the weapons bay.

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

Those pylons in Scimitars post are AEW type, the AS/trainer types were noticeably longer and possibly thicker.  I did have one a while back!.

External tanks couldn't be carried by that type Gannet, but they could carry to bomb bay tanks.  The AEW could carry two Hunter type drop tanks.

There was an earlier AS pod that was a multiple stores carrier.

Edit, personally I think the baggage pod was a converted AS stores carrier, but I don't have any technical evidence if that.

There was a COD Gannet (can't remember which) that had the old well know Post Office poster (as seen on buses etc) pasted on its pods.

Just seen the bit on spinners (been on an air traffic bender this w.end). AEW is different to AS being completely straight along the cone, the AS having a distinctive curve.

There are both of the same diameter at the point where they meet the fuselage, and will fit both types.

T.5 XG882 is fitted (from its initial restoration) with an AEW spinner and to me it stands out like a sore thumb, even over the erroneous markings!

p1801552550-3.jpg

Lovely work there Perdu, coming on a treat!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So the big question

Does my COD4 need stores like those that Scimitar has depicted or is it a modified fuel tank type unit?

Busy working out how to slot the wheel bay doors for my Bucc at the mo'

There's a tiny (in 1/72th scale) vertical slot at the rear of the doors and a pair of cutaways on the inside

Might try using a small screwdriver blade heated in a candle flame

(over on the Bucc thread tomorrow, it's been movie night here in the snowbound West Midlands)  :)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, perdu said:

Does my COD4 need stores like those that Scimitar has depicted or is it a modified fuel tank type unit?

Busy working out how to slot the wheel bay doors for my Bucc at the mo'

Stores container/baggage pod, I think that they are essentially the same thing.  Not sure where the fuel tanks bit is coming from?

I think the 4+ book has drawings of the pod.

Forget the ECM.6 pod, no ECM.6 was the same as the other all having various odd modifications, look at the scoops on the bomb bay of XA414 as an example.

Somebody else did a COD conversion set many years ago, may have been Aeroclub or CScale.

For the Buccaneer, I would use a 72nd Buccaneer main gear door slot cutter, it's the best way

• Haha 2

I'll have another look for pod drawings but as the 4+ drawings are only of the AS versions I don't think I'll find them

Not a worry really I can make them from the info you guys have already given me

I can't look at the mo' the guided tours have just started and we aren't allwed into the public areas after eight or before five

OK OK I don't live in a stately home, but the drawings are upstairs and out of bounds til this afternoon

HER computer room in the mornings...

😉

Ta

That 72 scale door slot cutter, I have doubts about the slot width it gives

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, perdu said:

I'll have another look for pod drawings but as the 4+ drawings are only of the AS versions I don't think I'll find them

Not a worry really I can make them from the info you guys have already given me

Sorry Bill, but that's what I'm trying to say, I think that the COD.4 baggage pod is an AS type multi stores (or sonobuoy) container that has been converted for the task.  Externally they look the same to me.  Keeping the ECMs out of it, I have only seen the one shape hung off a Gannet.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Keeping the ECMs out of it,

I probably caused confusion as usual.

I meant to say that this is an ECM pod, when I attached that photo of the 831 machine,which is not the same as a baggage pod.

This was because there was a mention of the baggage pod having a different rear end shape.

I still think the baggage pod is the same shape front and rear.

71chally..is this correct?

• Like 1

The Search For SPOCK Pods Pt 2

OK I have re-examined the 4+ plans and found these items on the reverse of the drawing

I am assuming the said pod is this one

P1140108.jpg

Rotary dispenser, although I can easily be wrong

The other candidates on the drawing seems to be this

P1140109.jpg

fuel tank or

P1140110.jpg

oh no, cannot POssibly be that (cue Kenny Everett) because that is just a pointy front and backed rectangular box

If it was a converted fuel tank it could have been shortened by one straightforward section, front or back

It is still a puzzle to me

:hmmm:

• Like 1

probably the term I was using, but yes the rotary dispenser is what I would use as the basis for the baggage pod.

Notice in the COD.4 shots earlier how bluff the rear is compared with the front section, though whether its as bluff as the plan or not is something else. 

The Frieghtdog pods seem to match photos quite well.  My only doubt is about the flatish top starting so far forward, the nose part of the pod looks almost all circular, but again that could be my interpretation.

Fuel tanks were never external, and too big for the pod.

I would use the universal carrier as well.  The pylon that I mentioned that I had was the Mk1 type shown there, which explains why it was so chunky.

Unfortunately I don't have any tech info on any of the stores.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, perdu said:

it's been movie night here in the snowbound West Midlands

I was there today, down from Lincoln to Sedgley (West Brum) and then down to the M42 area (Great Alne) and so back up North.

It wasn't too pleasant on the unploughed bits, of which there were a lot. Not to mention the satnav failure and having to map read!

There was  rumour that someone spotted a Gritter wagon recently

Damned sure it wasnt round our estate, or the bus drivers who have had to slither their way off from the bus stop at the end of the road have all been wheel spinning for fun

It's rather nice to see all the snow laying deep and crisp and even all around

And know I am not having to go out on shift to help others who cant handle driving through it all

Retirement does NOT suck

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Rotary what dispenser?  Sonobuoys, presumably.  I suspect they might not have been quite so anal in the 60s, but in my era of Navy-ating there were strict rules about what you were allowed to dangle below aeroplanes (“cleared loads” etc - though admittedly that refers to stuf in carho nets underslung).  It makes perfect sense that they’d take an existing pod shape that they knew worked, didn’t give turbulence probs etc (the rotary dispenser), and adapt it.  I’d go for that shape, Bill

@71chally, I totally agree about that spinner on XG882; just looks wierd!  I’ve never really known why the spinner shape changed for the Mk.3; I’ve always assumed it must be something to do with view over the higher nose, especially for landings, but that’s a complete guess.  There must ge some genuine reason; not even Faireys changed stuff just because they felt like it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just whilst I was meandering mentally through the groves of poddery this happened

P1140123.jpg

Eastern Express's repop of my old friend the Frog/Novo Gannet, something seems to have gone on whilst I had my back turned

or come off

P1140124.jpg

Because I did buy the Airwaves interior but  rejected it in favour of the Pavla resin I thought I'd give it the courtesy of a proper build, just in case it turns out nicely

Shall we see over the next few weeks as the COD aircraft gets her act together?

It might be a very nice item in which case I will opine to you for free

No, no charge

:)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure why the spinner was changed on the AEW, my guess is that it just suited the lines of the aircraft better.  You can draw a pretty much straight line through the upper nose profile and spinner line.

But maybe it was something more important, such as airflow.  It is unusual to have a straight coned spinner.

The pod was initially a rotary sonobouy dispenser, it seemed to very seldom used as such by the Royal Navy.

• Like 1

And lo, it came to pass that a man who fell among model makers became bold enough to 'give it a bash'

The Airwaves etch set for the AS Gannet interior had been causing him to tremble

So many sad tales of Airwaves interiors for other Fairey aircraft had become as dust beneath the chariot wheels of those with the temerity to 'give it the self same bash' as the bits didnt fit

So I , (yes dear reader for it was I that trembleth) cut out the innards of the Eastern Express Gannet in order to have a bash at the etch sheet

I confess to being worried because I do not get on well with etch

Anyway the front cockpit floor was cut out and other bits cut off to join them on the bench

Lo

P1140126.jpg

P1140127.jpg

The navigator's (all right Mr M, I know my place) observer's cockpit has a sort of ledge all around it that you cut out and stick to the back frame and then glue it to the back of the front frame too

P1140128.jpg

It all sat strangely well together using Roket Max thick non runny cyano which gives a few spare seconds to make adjustments

I always need extra seconds to adjust  ;)

I tried a test fit into the fuselage

P1140129.jpg

P1140130.jpg

I'll tell you what, it is a far better fit inside the chasm I have cut away than the Pavla resin did

I think I can work this one in OK

The E E plastic is softer to work on but still has good enough surface detail that I can tell it is the Frog quality moulding

I like the stuff, far easier to carve it with my No11 scalpel blade

Well I think this is about me for today, Ill settle in for a read now

;)

Edited by perdu
edit cos i were only a sodjer, see
  • Like 11

There are miles to go before we...

I am happy with IT SO FAR® but I am not going overboard yet

But it certainly looks better at the mo, than the Firefly one was

Finger crossing time, I will be playing with this again tomorrow as well as trying again to mould for a recast of the spinner(s)

17 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Yay, verily, the Trembling One overcame his fear and trepidation and produced a veritable feast of goodly folding.

Agreed! :clap:

17 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Even if he did call an Observer a Navigator.

:rofl: 

Ciao

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1