Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

24 minutes ago, perdu said:

Modelling is bad enough

Spraying anywhere near her delicate nasal membranes is not a death wish enough for me, that ought to be saved for something far more magnificent

I tend to concur with your point of view on the matter, Bill .... Electrical Infrared Heater is what I use in my chilly garage to overcome this kind of problems :coolio: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, perdu said:

I know the device under the paint cup is an air valve but I am not sure how to set it, my thinking is that I usually have troubles with this one because the valve isn't set right

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

think that Tony @TheBaron used to succesfully use the valve on his cheapo airbrush Bill,

Gosh, you've a good memory Keith!

Bill, I spent a lot of time fiddling with mine back in the Spring.

The valve! The valve!

:doh:

The MAC (Micro Air Controller) valve was a right pain and never seemed to work at the same setting twice on my cheapo-Chinoisierie airbrush, even at identical paint and dilutions.

It doesn't affect the air pressure but the air flow  - closed = no air, and you can progressively open it for more precise control than the regulator on your compressor (s'posedly).

I suspect from experience that it's a feature of more use to the likes of illustrators (who may be using much more liquid/translucent pigments to do fairies and goblins or whatever), rather than modellers (doing more opaque stuff to their Faireys and Goblin engines).

In the end I just  used to leave the valve half-open and used the trigger and compressor settings to regulate air and pigment flows as per normal. I've no doubt that it's a feature that works well in the right circumstances and on more expensive airbrushes, but from a modelling perspective, proved more trouble than it was worth.

I'd say leave your valve open and trust your usual instincts with regulator and trigger....

HTH,

Tony.

The corkpit of your Gawnnet's looking frightfully pukka btw. Oodles of panache.:bullseye:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Haven't a clue with airbrushes, my only problem is how to hold a paint brush!

Just looking at your last Gannet shots, I might be misinterpreting things, but your original rear cockpit aft bulkhead area is right for the COD, ie shelf at sill level and the bulkhead set well back.  Looks like you've added something fwd of it?

Nice detail an colour there!

James I cut away the radarey stuff, built a shelf inside the cutaway bit and put a backrest behind the seat because we only get a seat pan in there

But I intend using another Gannet seat, observer's I think in instead of the seat pan thingmy

It should look decent inside that black hole I think

• Like 1

Just a seat pan is correct, there is a separate alloy backrest thingy (which swings away for access) and a headrest within the fwd canopy arch.

I wouldn't use a whole seat if you don't have to.

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

That's good to know

I haven't taken much away from the forward facing wall, just the surgery to the rear facing displays as you suggested

I'll be popping shoulder straps on for all three seats and close it up

I built the nose bay floor/ceiling using 'The New Book' for images and compared it with the existing etch and resiney substitutes

They must be mad, those designers

I got a flat roof with three ovalish access panels with no stiffening ribs anywhere except at the leg mounts

Airwaves has a mini checkerboard and the resin has ribs and gubbinses without oval holes

😠

Glad I only bought the cockpit sets

I took photos of the roof

Win10 gobbled em up and hid them

I hate this even more than the old one

😬 

I'll pop em on if I find em...

I may be some time...

💻

• Like 3

Yuri Kar

I has founded them (no you didn't you liar you took em out of the camera into a different space)

Here is a picture of a picture in a brilliant book

P1010047.jpg

can you see all that cross bracing along and across there?

AEC72205a.jpg

That is it at the bottom, with admittedly some walls to fold over

This is an interpretation in resin

resin_leg.jpg

Modified by a no doubt desperate modeller trying build a Gannet I expect

My take on it will not have ribbing but will have the three ovalish access doors to the underdonk section

Holes here cut out

P1010046.jpg

and back panelled

P1010049.jpg

the holes will receive new closers that are slimmer than the roof panel to give the slightly recessed look I need

Then a few fine wire pipes will be laid and the front end will get the hinging bits for the legs which will be donated white metal sweetnesses

Hooray for Windows 10, a magnificent .......

Er

Hooray anyway

Edited by perdu
  • Like 13

cheers lads

I have filled the recesses I made with slightly slimmer panels to replicate the access hole doors

P1010052.jpg

sadly they don't show up well with white on white

P1010057.jpg

Oh well...

P1010062.jpg

Nothing to delay closing her up again now and fitting side walls and getting on with the retract-ey stuff

• Like 7

Ooh and indeed Aah.

Lovely door rendition Bill.

31 minutes ago, perdu said:

sadly they don't show up well with white on white

We know they're there. You know they're there.

All that counts.

:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

You have done that really well Bill.

Don't forget though, it's not a floor, there are two ruddy great feet warmers between that nose bay roof and the cockpit floor!

I've stuck my upper body up through those hatches during an engine removal procedure on an AEW, very dark and messy in there!

As well as engine accessories, the those hatches also give access to the high pressure air starter hose couplings, from the Palouste or whatever is in use.

The oil coolers (behind the two lower intakes in that weird main nose intake piece) pass their warm air straight into the nose bay, hence the reason for those distinctive vents in the fwd nose wheel doors.  See em middle of the top picture.

Strangely I didn't take any of the aft wall of the gear bay, but ordinarily the rear nose wheel doors would be closed on the ground.

37791594724_267465b323_c.jpgGannet COD.4 XA466 nose gear bay by James Thomas, on Flickr

37620220645_134d9e57e5_c.jpgGannet COD.4 XA466 nose gear bay by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Why do software people insist on changing good working systems?

And getting the new ones buggier than ever? Dohhh!

James  those were timely and magnificent pictures thank you and I have used them already

First off I have blacked out the shallow depressions I have left in the roof, Challyholes I've dubbed those

:)

P1010063.jpg

And you can see I have blocked in the side rails of the well, with i beam section which does a better than adequate job in the dark hole this will be once it is painted RAFBG

Bearing in mind you can see the oil coolers just above the nose wheel structure I have bunged a pair of simulacra onto the nose of the white metal front section I was sent by A. Benefactor of this parish

Up above, where the donks sit I have blocked off the engine bay with polycard (Rather you than me getting into THAT space James, grr!)

I will be building up a suitably robust front leg hinge and bracket for the nice white metal leg I've been given for this build

P1010065.jpg

Well that's me for now, did anyone see where I left my 1/144 scale Black Cat the other month?

I could do with it for tomorrow afternoon

:(

• Like 7

11 hours ago, perdu said:

I will be building up a suitably robust front leg hinge and bracket for the nice white metal leg I've been given for this build

That takes me back...

hingebracket.png

Cracking work on the Gannet Bill.

I know I couldn't come anywhere near your micro standards (standards in working micro scale, not lack of standards!) so a pleasure to provide info.

• Haha 4

I feel kinda bad about setting you up for that one James, but not very...

They were really entertaining them two, unlike many of the comics of these days

I'm starting to be concerned that it is probably time my OCD was addressed, but maybe later 

When I finish the...

Whatever

😆

Thank you for the unemptyable bucket of great photos, every time I need one I know a man who can

• Like 1

I have this little beast sitting in a far flung corner of the room, what can it be?

P1010066.jpg

It got turned round and voila

P1010067.jpg

Talking of great photos, these aren't although I admit the humour may grate

anyway

closer up

P1010068.jpg

Finally closed the halves up at last and now it can sit quietly and set whilst I have a bash at that Buccaneer I used to be making

There will be more additional filling and rectification now but I do feel readier to make a decent job of it now thanks to James's great interior pictures

This one is to be RAF BG all over including inside the wheel wells but as James's pics show there were still areas of the admiralty(?) Light Sea Grey colour to see in places

More on this later

Edited by perdu
  • Like 10

Well of course, in big scale you will still see the aeroplane under the umberalla...

If I do it, and I've seen a few done like it, the wings hide half the airframe and render the kind of tidying up inside that we do invisible

Judicious wing folding has its place, as the Bucc and Sea Vixen will demonstrate

Beware the after market for Gannet, it seems as wrong most of it in big scale as little when it comes to the 'tucked away' stuff inside the wells from my cursory glances

Taken during planning I must say, I haven't searched big scale religiously

After all, I've just given away a big scale Wasp to Tomo

I still can't get reconciled....

And when I do I've a very big Lynx to play with in giant scale...

• Like 2

If I were more confident with those prop blur things (not sure about how good they look), the optimum solution would be a taxying Gannet caught in mid-fold; illustrates the true bonker-dom of Fairey’s design, yet still shows off the aircraft.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Haha 3