Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

Better tell Sid

;)

Ah well, funny old game innit?

having found the software that supposedly drives the Camedia program on my computer it seems the USB connection wasn't being seen, although the C-460Zoom is listed as compatible on the Olympus help thingy

I vaguely remembered that happening before (When I drove Win XP on my machine, before the Win 7 upgrade) so I had to remove the program from the machine, an extremely elderly DELL Dimension with no room for upgrading.

I'm able to do everything I need to, I'm no Lucas or Spielberg, so I'm not planning on getting anything more competent in theimmediate future

This 'un can see me out I 'spect  :)  but that left me trying to do in 7 a task that was ubereasy in XP

The way 7 drives graphics collection is more complex than XP's idiot proof method

(I'll recap huh?)

My Panasonic bridge camera has lost its ability to flash, not good when trying to capture images for the board to use so I have brought my old (£9.00 from Morgan Auction when it was in IT'S prime, I miss that place) Olympus C-460zoom out of retirement because it still has a working flash

It also has a very powerful macro image capability too, I used to use it for everything, back in the day

Anyway, I finally got rid of the dodgy Camedia junk and managed to take a couple of pics of the COD Modded interiors for the Gannet with flash and digital zoom and load them up into Mr DELL

A short trip out to introduce Postimage.org to the Olympus and after a brief handshake here we be

AP1011908.jpg

The rear cockpit had its radar gubbinses removed as per James's photos and a sloping shelf let into the back frame section

The little gleaming patch of white is Formula 560 cockpit glue holding the curved backrest for the occasional furniture

A bonus view here of the fuel tank being made from two others, for the Wessex HAS3 I'm getting on with

It has been SIHRSCed since the shot was taken and is now nice and parallel front to aft

AP1011909.jpg

This is a view of the shelf and rear bulkhead and you can see the curved backrest at the front

This shows the curved former arch I had to chop out of the very tough resin, I wonder if I'm getting too weak to model any more

Everything I carve lately seems far harder than in the olden days

(Don't tell her, she'll work it up as an excuse to help me give up the game... an ambition of hers)  ;)

Wessex work next, nightall...

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

I feel I must apologise to you

That rusty red smear is me

I mentioned the hardness of the resin

I forgot to mention that it was reluctant to allow any slicing away to make the shelf under the top shelf, so it bit me

yet another fine mess I've gotten myself into

I do hope Czech resin is non-toxic, there's bound to be some in the spot of claret that appeared

Children do be careful with sharp blades, but for god's sake do not use blunt ones

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, perdu said:

(Don't tell her, she'll work it up as an excuse to help me give up the game... an ambition of hers)  ;)

Give up the game? That's a shooting offence here at Martian Towers, even Mr Martian says its not on! Never has my flabber been so gasted! I'm off to lay down in a dark Haunebu!

Flabbergasted of Mars

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Although I'd hate to disrupt your well earned repose Martian sir it behooves me to add that in this case she shall not enjoy that errant status

I have retired once, I firmly believe that a chap needs only retire one time

hence

not going to happen  :nono:

But that will not be deterring the girl for one minute

She needs a hobby too

:)

Edited by perdu
  • Haha 4

Sorry to hear of the camera woes the Bill.:weep:

Dunno how you get W7 to do anything quite frankly, but you're clearly a persevering cove. Or a masochist...

Thank-you for some pleasing Gannetry on this grim Monday morning! :thumbsup2:

I like that one

two

three

fou-

Them

And I'm glad you have all realised by now that there are no external influences that will con me into bending wings unless it was already in 'PLAN A'

I have already removed the radome preparatory to fairing in the bottom and this one will be 777 in RAFBG

I'm casting wheels at pres. what Frog give you is er, interesting - ish

Soon to be rectified thanks to our James

I expect my other Russian moulding Gannet to be an AH1 in Sky and EDSG, that should sort my Gannetary requirements for a while huh?

Edited by perdu
  • Like 5

I never got to visit Brawdy or Culdrose in the Gannet days so I think the most I saw on the visiting aircraft dispersal at Lossie was 6.

I had left Lossie by the time 849 moved there.

I did see XP226 delete its radome and underwing tanks seconds after this was taken in July 1963. Even as a 10 year old I knew it wasn't planned! I reckon I was 20 yards to the left of this,directly opposite the impact.

dbbc70d6a2081d3b58eb802c67684d4f.jpg

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

22 hours ago, perdu said:

Although I'd hate to disrupt your well earned repose Martian sir it behooves me to add that in this case she shall not enjoy that errant status

I have retired once, I firmly believe that a chap needs only retire one time

hence

not going to happen  :nono:

But that will not be deterring the girl for one minute

She needs a hobby too

:)

Seems to me that should you retire from the hobby, you would in fact be depriving Mrs Perdu of her own hobby and that could be construed as cruelty!

Martian

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Scimitar said:

I did see XP226 delete its radome and underwing tanks seconds after this was taken in July 1963. Even as a 10 year old I knew it wasn't planned! I reckon I was 20 yards to the left of this,directly opposite the impact.

dbbc70d6a2081d3b58eb802c67684d4f.jpg

That must have been something to witness.  

My understanding was that the pilot did extraordinarily well to miss the crowd and Prince Charles, as he was doing an engine shut down and an unfeathering of the other routine when the Gannety one didn't want to play!  There wasn't much control or speed left but hauling it around averted disaster, no wonder the control surfaces are so deflected, apart from the 'Slow Ahead' it must have been full everything!

• Like 3

A full witness report by a member of the Search and Rescue crew on duty at the air display at Lossie on that day, can be found at this location:

http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/272716-gannet-aew3-s-3.html

other interesting Naval flight experiences can also be groomed from afore mentioned site

• Like 2

Thanks for posting that Rayprit.

I had seen it before but just re-read the lot!

I don't think it was  flown out after the accident though (see pictures in Gannet from the Cockpit) as it went back to factory for a re-build

I have been trying to find the accident report for XP226 but it is obviously filed in a safe place.

'Gannet from the Cockpit' gives stories of front propeller going into fine pitch on an engine failure but I don't think that was the case here.

It did go to Culdrose afterwards, the accident occurred on the 15 July 1963, and it was flown back to Culdrose (then the AEW.3s' HQ base) on the 3 Sep.  I don't know how much repair was done to it there but it passed to Westlands (Fairey) at White Waltham and Ilchester until delivered back to the Navy in mid 1966.

That pic that you posted (one of a whole sequence) showed up in an old 'Flight' mag years ago, labelled as a low flypast!

@perdu , as you have now have the RAFBG paint open, slap it on everywhere, literally everywhere,

36545043420_9cf382cbf7_c.jpgGannet COD.4 XA466 port undercarriage by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

I bet they had to bale frantically until they could get her close enough to shore to pop her legs on and drain her out

That Gannet wheel is interesting, if they hadn't drilled the holes offset you/I could probably have popped a few out with the vac former

Hmm, I'd have to drill them myself anyway and I'm being beset by bubbles in the casting facility this week

Hmm. 😉

• Like 1

Those wheels are the same back to front, if you know what I mean, but the holes are more spaced out in the depressions - as seen looking at the face.

The brake discs and calipers hide that from the rear side.

36545045920_15fe8498f6.jpgGannet COD.4 XA466 port mainwheel by James Thomas, on Flickr

36545044710_361bf8d61b.jpgGannet COD.4 XA466 port mainwheel outer by James Thomas, on Flickr

On 04/09/2017 at 12:49, Scimitar said:

As you no doubt told her to get on one......

Bridgereflection2.jpg

Look at Cowal Mountain Bike Club on Google.

We'll be happy to teach her!

RG

Ha ha missed the bit under the photo, I hardly expect that to moderate her.. enthusiasms

Not about to happen. 😂

Somebody tell Ced I bought a wee bottle of Stylenrez yesterday

I expect the Gannet and Bucc will get a tester shot soon

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 6:37 AM, perdu said:

I like that one

two

three

fou-

Them

And I'm glad you have all realised by now that there are no external influences that will con me into bending wings unless it was already in 'PLAN A'

I have already removed the radome preparatory to fairing in the bottom and this one will be 777 in RAFBG

I'm casting wheels at pres. what Frog give you is er, interesting - ish

Soon to be rectified thanks to our James

I expect my other Russian moulding Gannet to be an AH1 in Sky and EDSG, that should sort my Gannetary requirements for a while huh?

Is there a plan B?

IMG_5826.jpg

CJP

• Like 2