Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

I foolishly mentioned beginning the Gannet I had in my stashlet (It is a very small stash that I am desperately trying not to add to!) and was almost immediately responded to by 71chally

I feel he has access to most of the unscrapped Gannets in captivity anyway so if he is willing to be an accessory both sides of the fact, here we go

With this essential rider, the Buccaneer build already begun will be getting most of my attention until I finish it

This year has been designated Bill's year of naviation so let's get it on!

This old Novo pressing of Frog's lovely little Gannet has been in cold store for thirty five years or so, bag open and with no transparent parts, the transfer sheet has been in my transfer folder being kept... Safe?

Well kept anyway :)

Most of us know that Frog didn't give this kit any cockpit details, just these

P1130819.jpg

And whipping them off safely was task one

Task two entailed opening an opening, I have the Pavla cockpit set destined originally for a kit by Trumpeter which I intend fitting into here

P1130770.jpg

My kit had had its wing halves glued together which makes part three a bit of a problem

Aha, razor saw time

Much severe hackery resulted

Hack off the bottom inner wing section to the flaps so the insides can be fitted up/out

P1130769.jpg

The wheel wells are simply moulded on as raised lines and the u/c legs are part of the wheel door that has an axle for the wheel to glue to which pops into that slot that is moulded blind for cutting out

No, on second thoughts, don't ask, we'll skirt over that

OK no we won't

The doors and imitation wheel blanks need extracting quickly, so they were

my Expo tool with its dinky little slitting saw

Whizz

And carefully wheee

P1130786.jpg

The round part of the hole was made with the circle cutter, it really is important not to cut with the sharpest edge of its blade

That makes the cut line wander as the cutter slices into the plastic

It is more precise to use the flat back of the cutter which will act like a machine tool cutting tool and cut away a groove that stays on centre all the way down into the plastic

Be careful with this tool, it may be small but that thing on the sliding cutter bar is a KNIFE

knives can bite, look at my hands

And from the days I wore short grey flannels there is still a definite track across my knee from my early days getting acquainted with Messrs Swann & Morton

You can see I downloaded a picture of a well known set of Gannet enhancement stuff to compare with photos of wheel well interiors

it didn't compare really so I haven't got one

I do have their cockpit enhancement set though and may use it some day (I have another Gannet which we may discuss later... may not too, neither)

Ah look, there's the etch stuff

P1130772.jpg

If I didn't have the Pavla set I would give this a go, the straps are likely to get a gig on this one, at least

Oh look in the hole in the cutaway fuselage, stuff that looks resinous...

This stuff

P1130806.jpg

apologies for the low light imagery :( let's try this

P1130813.jpg

Hmm, lighter but no ceegar mister  :(

With the wing panels opened its time to get the interior cleaned up for the detail sessions

P1130787.jpg

Which begins...

P1130812.jpg

With the holes ready up top it is time to get into the nose bay

Started but not finished, 'til then here's a freebie of the upper holes filled up

I drilled the holes into the rock hard plastic with my Expo drill using a big burr tool

It wandered and I have work to do to get it nice

P1130771.jpg

This does show how nice and FULL the Pavla stuff makes the 'pit

Well that is about it for a start, I am building the nose wheel bay for now

More to come in a day or so

• Like 24

I'd quite like an AEW 3 next too, I wonder if there are any of the old Airmodel vacforms around these days?

I've never tried any of the modern era Gannets, maybe one day when I have used up my spare Froggies

Depressed?

Those are the days I cant get in here and do some carving and glueing

Remember its only kids playing, only a game!

• Like 3

I'm in for this one too, Bill - if you don't mind. :popcorn::beer:

Great surgery going on already :clap: I know nothing about this aircraft, so I'll follow with even more interest

Ciao

• Like 1

IMG_20170818_122424.jpg

Trying out this confounded tablet picture Linky thing again

Hopefully there's a picture there

If there is it might be the Black Cat in 1/144 scale I made last week

Cross em folks

• Like 6

Great start Bill!

The main gears are something that will be nice to see properly rendered for sure.

The main wheel 'circle' is actually like a 20p coin on one edge.

There are some great walkaround images on line, better than my shots, so will attempt to point them out as progress.

There's nothing fancy about the main wheel bays, they aren't walled in to follow the exact contours of the underwing cutout if that makes sense.  Its essentially a rectangular box formed by the fwd spar, fuselage side, and wing rib inboard of the fold.  There are then various stringers, a cut rib and gusset panels inside the bay. 

This is AEW but gives you an idea,

16481491613_41b5cb0ffe_c.jpgFairey Gannet AEW.3 port main undercarriage bay by James Thomas, on Flickr

One thing to watch on the AS types, the drag strut for the main gear leg is actually hinged from the underside of the wing skin, just outboard of the U/C bay, and has a prominent external hinge point, this is also why the main gear door has a cutout and a bulge at the leading edge top corner.

Can I ask, have you chosen a particular Gannet to render?

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I noticed the 'threepenny bit'  shape of the wheel well walls, the inner 'round wall' bit is only stuck at the edge of its join to the leg box

I haven't completely decided yet but I think I'd like to reprise 777 the COD Gannet I modelled thirty five years or so ago

Luckily with this fabulous Beastie there are so many great schemes to play with

And I have another unopened Russian moulding to play with

And casting rubber for extra 'stuff'. 

It looks like being a fun winter ahead. :)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I haven't completely decided yet but I think I'd like to reprise 777 the COD Gannet I modelled thirty five years or so ago

It looks like being a fun winter ahead. :)

Ah, a favourite!

Looks good in the traditional COD RAF Blue/Grey scheme, but it also wore a unique Sky & EDGS scheme with tactical markings in the mid '70s, apparently mistakenly painted as an AEW.3

I have some good close up, and cockpit interior shots of 777, but I see you have already done well in that department!

• Like 2

...loud and clear, AEC Mandator Blue Steel carrier.

Do you need canopies for your Gannet?

This is  a good walkaround set, nice clear pictures

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/fairey_gannet_ecm.6/

fairey_gannet_ecm.6_23_of_36.jpg

fairey_gannet_ecm.6_31_of_36.jpg

These shots in particular show that external drag strut hinge and bulged cutout area in the u/c door

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thank yoiu, no James I have the beautiful Falcon moulding set

Oh yes, test passed

One of twenty odd I took so I might build one some day

Not now likely though, I'm fairly air committed nowadays

😇

• Like 2

I was going to say I have a Falcon canopy here.  I have the AEW vacform somewhere aswel, but the Sword kit is the better option, though I haven't built it yet.

Another walkaround from good old Primeportal, http://data4.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason4/fairey_gannet/

These shots show the shape of the wheel cutout, not quite as faceted as I remember but not a perfect circle either, doubt one would notice in 72nd mind!

fairey_gannet_03_of_15.jpg

fairey_gannet_04_of_15.jpg

These Australian sets are very useful as well,

http://www.grubby-fingers-aircraft-illustration.com/gannet_walkaround.html

http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/FAIREY_AS1_Gannet_Walkaround_XA434_RAN_Nowra_2014/FAIREY_AS1_Gannet_Walkaround_XA434_RAN_Nowra_2014.html

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You're going to geneeding this, Bill: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMR-DS01

Joking aside, I don't know what the Frog canopy will be like after all these years, but I note that Hannants have the Falcon 1/72 FAA set in stock, which includes a canopy specifically designed for this kit.

Edit:  teach me to post before reading; you've already got one and been offered another...

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Haha 1

joke

ho ho

not on this baby Crisp

you sadists will be getting folded Sea Vixen and Buccynear

you are not having Gannets all bent out of shape too

Dammit man I gave you a bended Wasp too didn't I?

Now Falcon canopies

absolute works of art, I love 'em

Wouldn't even contemplate these builds without them

• Like 4

I've been doing my own research for your Gannet build Bill.  Indeed just the other day at Hermaness on Unst I managed to photograph thousands of the bu**ers all in one go :D

IMG_6445_zpsnxcodjf0.jpg

No close up's I'm afraid tho' Bill :( You'll have to rely on James for those.....

Did get a detail shot of a Fulmar today when we were on Fetlar if you're planning one of them?

IMG_6518_zpsid425itl.jpg

Actually this chap's lookout is a bit dodgy..........he's got a bandit turning in on his six and he needs to break right sharpish....

Not bad for iPhone piccies......

• Like 7
  • Haha 11

Good start Bill. I shall stick around to provide encouragement and to watch you work your wizardry with the wing folds. :devil:

Martian

• Like 1

Lovely shots Fritag, actually my favourite bird is the Gannet.

My old man is an ornitholo twitcher and travels the world getting bird photos, he's got some lovely Gannet close ups!

Cracking shots, especially so with an Iphone, loving the Fulmar!

1 hour ago, perdu said:

...going to enjoy making that happen in 1/72

You might not have to ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1