1/32 Mosquito B.IV (Tamiya with HK Models nose. What have I done??)

elger

I've just caught up with this, and I really like the attention to detail of the mud accumulations in the bays and mudguards :)  Bit of an expensive project though! :owww:  Do we have any info about a glass-nosed Tamiya Mossie yet?

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I've just caught up with this, and I really like the attention to detail of the mud accumulations in the bays and mudguards :)  Bit of an expensive project though! :owww:  Do we have any info about a glass-nosed Tamiya Mossie yet?

Thanks! Well, yes, I'm making this sacrifice for the greater good so to bring about the arrival of Tamiya's 1/32 bomber version ;)

• 1 month later...

Pictures of the next big step: the engine. The whole project - that is, the main motivation for joining the HK front fuselage to Tamiya wings - started with my idea of using the Eduard Brassin Mosquito engine for the Tamiya kit. I spent my Christmas break assembling and painting it.

I have to say, the engine set looks rather intimidating from the outset. But with careful planning (which I feel took most time) and careful assembly the Eduard set can be made into something great.

The resin is of really good quality and it all fits remarkably well. The only major fit problem I encountered was that of the replacement resin firewall. But all the other parts, notably all the complicated plumbing, fits remarkably well.

It's all Eduard - except the exhausts. Since I'm building an early Mk.IV I figured it probably had the saxophone type exhausts, which are not supplied by Eduard so I used the kit items.

Main colours are Tamiya and Vallejo, and the metallics are from AK Interactive.

The instructions are quite clear but what really helps is Eduard's promo video on YouTube - in fact this video shows some additional wires that aren't in the instructions.

I divided the build into three phases. In the first phase I assembled as much as possible.

spBMyDb.jpg

In this photo the engine block has been assembled and I painted the area between the cylinders with black primer. In the second phase I painted as much of the individual parts as possible. I glued the parts to various sticks and labeled them to keep track of the many parts.

62EAWIs.jpg

After painting the individual items I moved on to the final phase in which I assembled everything, and gave the whole thing a coat of clear satin.

And then I put it in the bookshelf to admire my efforts, and subsequently I let it fall on the floor, completely shattering it into about 30 pieces. Not a good moment. Fortunately, even though the damage was really quite spectacular and it had exploded onto the hardwood floor I managed to retrieve all the pieces (even tiny bits of PE that had been launched across the room). This happened right before going to bed last week by the way, and the sudden rush of adrenalin and cortisol made for a very bad night's sleep. But we move on and this weekend I was able to repair all the damage. In fact, certain bits actually fit a bit better this time around.  Took some photos this afternoon:

vJVG9Qg.jpg

i6IJlL5.jpg

underside:

bEprmZA.jpg

underside, rear:

vsw8Xph.jpg

I fear that the oil tank might be the wrong colour (might have been dark red). The only true concern left over from the catastrophic drop was that the resin "legs" that the gear legs will be attached onto also snapped of so I'm really afraid of this being a weak point of the model - and I hope that the repaired joint will be able to support the weight of the completed kit.

Anyway, as always thanks for looking!

Edited by elger
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I just found this little ditty....................... wow, I am speechless ( and that is rare for me !) What an undertaking, and very fine results...... I have the MkVI started, albeit slowly and deliberately,  and it is a fabulous kit. I love what you have done and are doing.... can't wait to see the final result..... you work is spectacular, and the resin engine is beautiful, despite it's fall..... exquisite work....

Jeff

Thanks all! I've put the decals on, which has been my favourite part of a build since I was a kid:

m6dLoso.jpg

Information about the crew and aircraft from http://www.zzairwar.nl/dossiers/954.html

Wing Commander William P. Shand and P/O Christopher Dinsdale Handley. Mosquito DZ386, 139 Sqn. 20/21 April 1943.

In the middle of May 1943, two naked bodies washed ashore near Makkum. It was if they had taken their clothes off for a swim. Both were buried as unknown. In 1948 the wrist watch of P/O Handley led to his identification. The policeman who recovered them in 1943, had recorded their length, eyes- and hair colour. In 1980 an inhabitant of Makkum, Mr. Jentje Hoeksema send this data to the CWGC and pointed out that because both had washed ashore on the same moment and location, the other man had to be Handley's pilot: W/Cmdr. William P. Shand. The CWGC eventually agreed, and in 1981 the headstone of the unknown was changed to that of William Shand, with the remark on it 'Believed to be'.

They had made a night visit to Hitlers birthday party in Berlin. Some German nightfighters waited on the expected return path on high altitude for a Mosquito to pass under them. Although it was night and the Mosquitoes flew below the radar, their silhouette was visible over the water of the lake. In a dive a nightfighter could match the speed of a Mosquito for a short while and could open fire. Apparently DZ386 was hit and Shand and Handley made a successful emergency landing on the water and tried to reach shore swimming. Remarkable is the difference in the date of death.  

Shand and Handley were unfortunate enough to be the first Mosquito to be lost due to an enemy aircraft.

Photo of the graves, also from http://www.zzairwar.nl/dossiers/954.html :

avtdzjs.jpg

- Elger

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...