1/32 Mosquito B.IV (Tamiya with HK Models nose. What have I done??)

elger

So this little project started out with me wanting to build the 1/32 HK Models Mosquito IV. I thought of a way to correct the nose.

Here is the nose section on the box illustration:

pye6lvl.jpg

There are some magnificent builds of the HK Models kit. There's this one http://www.scalespot.com/onthebench/hkmossie/build.htm

And there's this one https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=3080

Kent Karlsen, whio built this amazing FPU version linked above addressed the weird looking front section of the kit by replacing the main canopy with a vacuum formed unit intended for the Revell kit, as well as a vacuum formed glass nose, also for Revell.

Despite all this work, to me the nose still looks off. So I was intrigued to figure out what's making the nose look so wrong. I think that Roy Sutherland believes that the nose is too bulbous, which might be true, but there's another thing that's off: the side windows point down. This can be seen quite clearly in the parts layout diagram in the instructions of the kit:

Ocq4zdv.jpg

The side windows ought to be rectangular that are placed pretty much horizontally, but HK Models has them pointing down, and the windows are shaped like a parallelogram. I think this is one of the major causes of the nose looking 'off'. In fact, I think that the shape of the main canopy is pretty much spot on. 

I started thinking about this project with this being the major "fix". But then I started thinking about possibly adding the Eduard Brassin engines (which are designed for the Tamiya kit). Adding them seemed tricky for lots of reasons so I caught myself thinking about trying to see if I could use some parts of the Tamiya kit so that I could add the Eduard engines. But that got the ball rolling, I started thinking about replacing the propellers, cockpit parts, and I figured I might as well replace the whole thing.

So what started out as a project of "fixing the HK Models" turned into "fixing the HK Models kit by replacing most HK parts with Tamiya" which was a bit of a weird thought, so I'm turning it around: I'm converting the Tamiya VI into a IV by adding the HK Models nose.

This is probably the most expensive way to get a 1/32 Mk.IV, and I'll bet Tamiya is going to announce a Mk.IV kit even before I finish this one. Let me stress that if I wasn't going to expose one of the engines I would not be undertaking this.

Anyway, off we go...

So the first clue that the two kits are really rather compatible comes when you tape the Tamiya rear and HK Models front together. The shape of the HK Models kit has been heavily criticized but if it's a perfect match with Tamiya how bad can it be?

GVlAnQD.jpg

The second clue comes when you try to fit the Tamiya wings. They are only slightly different. The big difference is in the front, with the radiators, where the HK Models kit is sloped too steeply. Tamiya's radiators are flatter,which is more correct.

OIPezO7.jpg

I took a deep breath and cut the HK Models nose in half. I purposely didn't cut it through the middle (I cut it asymmetrically) to avoid damaging the surface detail.

Seyq7yu.jpg

Opening up the fuselage will allow me to add extra detail. The kit detail is rather sparse so it can use a bit of work.

GWaLCgG.jpg

Opening the fuselage also makes the window fix easier. The fix I'm trying here is switching the glass parts around: right goes left (and vice versa) and are installed upside down. This doesn't solve the angle entirely, but does reduce the angle considerably. Here is the right fuselage with the right window part, which I'll install upside down on the left.

ioIJ6qk.jpg

In the next photo I've started adjusting the left fuselage window (on the right). You can see how the downward angle is reduced. On the left is the yet unmodified right fuselage half.

OFIAJOw.jpg

This is how the model looks now. The clear parts will need to be bent into shape a bit but in the end I think it will improve the overall appearance. The fuselage sides have also been adjusted to fit the Tamiya wing as well as possible.

nLGcKlU.jpg

I'm dispensing with the HK Models cockpit tub all together and am applying the details straight to the kit sides. The kit parts need some modification because of this, so I'm filling the gaps in the floor panel.

EWFFCvW.jpg

An important first step was actually trying to figure out what parts from HK Models and what parts from Tamiya to use. This was quite a puzzle. I've settled on the HK Models floor (T12) and floor rear bulkhead (M4) with the front detail removed. I've glued Tamiya's floor rear bulkhead (U23 - with the pilot seat back) onto the HK Models part. The deck with the navigator seat is the rear section of Tamiya part U31 (which i had to shorten a bit, and had to make a bit wider by gluing strips of styrene to the sides).

The cockpit detail will be a mix of Tamiya parts with parts of the Profimodeller detail set. Here and there there will be a HK Models part.

JBSDXju.jpg

This is where it is now.

There is a question I have at this stage, if anyone can shed some light in it it would be great. I've also posted this in the WWII forum but haven't gotten an answer just yet.

I'll be finishing it as a Mosquito B.IV of 139 Squadron flown by Wing Commander Peter Shand that was lost in April 1943 and I'm wondering about the radio / navigation equipment that it might have carried.

Looking at the instructions for the Tamiya FB.VI, there is a choice between the combination of the R.1155 Receiver and the T.1154 Transmitter (the "classic" setup you also find in the old 1/48 Airfix Mosquito, the 1/48 Tamiya B.IV and FB.VI), but there's also an option with just the R.1155 Receiver combined with the Gee navigation units.

I've also seen some models online (notably Frank Dargies very nice PR.IV http://hsfeatures.com/features04/mosquitobivfd_1.htm)

which actually has a combination of the radios and the Gee set.

My question is, does anyone have any idea what setup is this Mosquito is likely to have had?

• Like 12

Don't know anything about the radio installation but I'm impressed with the whole project, chopping up two 1/32 scale Mosquitos is a very brave thing to do, do you have plans for the left overs ?

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

spent my last vacation week detailing the cockpit. HK models base, with mix of HK models and Tamiya parts.

I added detail from the Profimodeller set which is to be recommended for HK models. It's very complete BUT some parts are just not there - notably some parts for the radiator shutters:

eo9ys8N.jpg

The base parts (which I thought might be B10) aren't numbered - not sure they exist. B38, the handles, is problematic because as far as I can tell there is only one part B38 on the entire fret of PE and it is also used for the handle on the floor panel (which is where I put it) but it's listed in the instructions again to be fitted to the rear bulkhead. In short, one piece but four places to put it.

I didn't use most of the parts though, since many of the Tamiya parts are nice enough in and of themselves. I have to say, I realized I had gotten spoiled with the relative ease of Eduard PE. But, with that in mind, I started with the Eduard PE rudder pedals with great optimism, but I have to admit that they got the better of me and I couldn't get them to work. I folded one of the parts the wrong way and messed up one of the pedals. Even after correcting the mistake one of the rudder pedals was taller and more crooked than the other and together they just looked weird so I gave up on it and resorted to using the Tamiya rudder pedals.

To complete the detailing I wired it up with copper and led wire. Trying to figure out what goes where exactly - and particularly trying to figure out what equipment was and wasn't fitted to a particular aircraft is a bit of a frustrating exercise. For instance, I'm fairly sure the oxygen optimizer is one that's fitted to later examples (B.35) but everything together looks busy. This, after all, was Gary Wickham's (Scalespot) approach and his Mosquito looks great in my opinion.

In my online research I came across two 360 degree pages of the Mosquito in the US Air Force museum. I think this is a B.35 that was airworthy for quite a while after the war so who knows how much of the equipment would be fitted to a Mk.IV in 1943 but it gives a good "feel" of the cockpit.

360 View from the pilot seat: http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/cockpits/WWII_tour/WWII-20.html

360 View from the bombardier position: http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/cockpits/WWII_tour/WWII-21.html

Anyway, yesterday all the bits that I thought should be there were there and I took a picture:

XwWsPcc.jpg

And after that I added some primer (Tamiya straight from the spray can):

BcGFdgX.jpg

Today I added the first coat of interior green (Mr. Paint) and it looks good. No photos yet, I'll do that once all the colours are on.

Next week work starts again properly, but I'm hoping to get all the things painted over the next few weeks.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by elger
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Finished the cockpit, front section. So this is my HK Models/Tamiya/Profimodeler/Eduard hybrid. Seatbelts are from HGW.

CmWBfSW.jpg

Base coated with black Mr.Surfacer and painted with Mr. Paint interior green and Vallejo acrylics.

nlnruII.jpg

Rqw88Vp.jpg

The instruments panel is painted PE from the Profimodeller set. Especially the middle panels look great with the film, but there is no film provided for the outer left panel so I resorted to slicing up the kit decal sheet.

W7ltpYs.jpg

cockpit sides

mp2LVXF.jpg

right side

tMVP0GK.jpg

left side

My next step will be making sure the rear cockpit deck with the radios fits, as well as the bomb bay. Once I've made sure all the components fit I'll paint those like I did the cockpit. I think I'm going to leave the engine nacelles off until after installing the wing. We'll see how that goes.

Anyway, as always thanks for looking.

Edited by elger
  • Like 13

22 hours ago, Kahunaminor said:

You sir, are a madman! 

How many deep breath did it take before you cut into plastic? A great result and certainly interesting reading.

Regards,

one, big, deep breath :)

• Like 1

On 3-10-2017 at 9:56 PM, keith in the uk said:

Very nice so far :goodjob: perhaps a cheaper option would have been a profimodler cockpit  &, the nose from the Revell kit grafted on to the Tamiya kit

The side windows on the Revell nose are the wrong shape but these are easily fixed 

Absolutely and if you set out to convert the Tamiya VI to a IV that's a much more reasonable course of action. Especially if you have one of those vac canopies for the Revell kit. I started out with the HK kit trying to figure out how I could improve it and use a Eduard Brassin engine. That's when using the entire mid & rear section and wing and pretty much everything else of the Tamiya kit came in. As I've said from the beginning, this is a stupid extravagant undertaking. (but I get to be sensible in my job - so I figured I can be stupid in my spare time!)

I'll be posting some photos of it soon but switching around the side windows of the HK kit seems to have worked pretty well - now the angle is almost (though still not quite) right. Since the rest of the HK kit really is quite acceptable it's a much better option than Revell (though much more expensive).

So far I haven't come across any clear indicators that Tamiya is planning a B.IV by looking at the parts, except with the PE parts where there are three sets of parts for the bomb racks while you only need one for the FB.VI version. There's also a plastic part on sprue N that could be an oxygen regulator but I'm not sure.

Edited by elger
  • Like 1

I hear you Elger , when I first saw the HK kit I knew something just didn't look right in the nose area and I never noticed the nose windows

sloping downwards , your work has vastly  improved the look of it. :thumbsup2: I also am not sure of the bomb aimers blister at the very front of the nose as well , ( it looks to be too small ? ) Another howler of the HK kit is those spinners on the props which are way off shape wise , I have spare ones from

the Revell kit which look much better and they are yours if you need them.

Keep up the good work as its looking great so far

Got a chance today to take some pictures of my modified fuselage and an original with the windows fitted to get a sense of the difference. Here are the two fuselages side by side; HK models unmodified left and behind and with the left and right windows switched around right and in front:

LPFs8m0.jpg

The fuselages facing each other as similarly angled as possible (HK unmodified left; modified with left and right windows switched on the right):

0Dz3Swf.jpg

About the HK models spinners - they're certainly less detailed than Tamiya, but I would say not nearly as wrong as Revell's 1/48 attempt. Tamiya left, HK models right:

AZCVDYb.jpg

Thanks for looking and all the input!

• Like 2

You are braver man than most  :doh:

Admire the work and painting carried out so far, I wonder what the next alterations will be  . . .  undercarriage perhaps ??

keep up the excellent work, its going to be a 'must' for others wanting to improve either kit.

Ian

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since my last update. The next step, which focused mainly on assembling and painting things for the wing took more time than expected. I realised that normally I tend to think of an aircraft's wings as a bit of an after thought. If an airplane is a human body, the wings are like the arms and all the "interesting stuff" is in the main body. With how Tamiya conceived of their kit the wings are an integral part of the fuselage (like the real thing) but that does mean that a bit more effort than usual is required.

PRS8Br0.jpg

The only thing involved with the kit bash into a mk IV in this stage was adding the HK models fuel tanks to the Tamiya mid wing section. This was considerably easier than I thought. I also added some details from the Profimodeller set. To be honest, I'm not happy with that (it really makes me appreciate Eduard). As with the interior set, parts indicated in the instructions are simply not there. I only recommend it if you build a Mosquito with the enlarged bomb bay doors - not for the regular version since especially the bomb racks are a disappointment. I haven't added them yet but I'll be using the leftover parts of the Tamiya VI kit.

eyk74Jd.jpg

Radios from Tamiya with kit decals. Some parts of this section needed modifications before they would fit the HK models fuselage since the plastic of that kit is much thicker. For example, the part with the control rods was trimmed on either side.

9H436IF.jpg

I will be exposing the right engine, so I spent some time weathering the firewall.

prjrERM.jpg

The inside of the HK Models canopy frame with Tamiya and Profimodeller details:

gZJJG43.jpg

I went ahead and started painting the interior of the nacelles with AK Interactive's White Aluminium.

FxwjKpP.jpg

Propellers and spinners. Very satisfying to paint some Ocean Grey!

RGTuPoo.jpg

Landing gear main components: 

rLVke6f.jpg

Landing gear doors:

v7tjuku.jpg

And finally, the tail planes:

FtV29j2.jpg

Next step: attaching the wing to the hybrid fuselage. Will it fit?

Thanks for looking!

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

well, it fits.

7j1JzjP.jpg

The Tamiya wing fits the HK/Tamiya fuselage hybrid not like Tamiya, but more like a kit with mediocre fit. That's to say, really not bad. On the top there were some gaps, but I could fill them with some Mr Surfacer 500.

UAnTQHp.jpg

Putting it together like this, with some parts just put in place for the photos is encouraging.

Q1PAUph.jpg

The bomb bay was slightly more challenging. The Tamiya fuselage sides fit reasonably well, but I realized after installing them that the bomb racks (two from the one Tamiya kit, and one set cannabalized from another Tamiya kit -for a VI you only need one set and a kit comes with two) couldn't be installed. Fortunately the glue hadn't completely set so I broke the right one off temporarily, installed the three bomb racks, and put it back.

There were some gaps where the Tamiya parts met the HK front fuselage and I resorted to using strip styrene as filler. I lost some of the surface detail in the process, but the sides do blend in with the nose now.

Ja3m64H.jpg

Thanks for looking! Comments & feedback are always welcome of course. Next up the engine I guess.

• Like 5