CMS Colombo Express - 1/700 by Revell

Hello,

and something different .... a small ship ... the Container vessel CMS Colombo Express (or maybe another name then ...).

Additionally some resin containers were used to give it a more realistic look, some etched parts too...

here are some first pictures .... and the containers...randomly put on the deck ... Not quiet sure if I will make it waterline in a piece of the ocean, or on a display.... 

jwvso6f3.jpg

bdbjg6af.jpg

csokttqh.jpg

sseywmsj.jpg

3lkv2dpc.jpg

puvna87u.jpg

8sog9aut.jpg

8xxqo59r.jpg

db4ki2lb.jpg

puvna87u.jpg

3lkv2dpc.jpg

Cheers
Micha

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's an impressive start! Personally I feel that a waterline model would look most effective. A few crew members scattered about would really convey just how enormous these vessels are.

Martian

Oh yum-yum!

Having an unhealthy interest in containers (I live too near Felixstowe and spend to along on the A14), I keep looking at this and wondering. Will be watching with great interest, and probably planning a Christmas wish!

Who does the resin containers? Are the kit provided ones very poor?

Thanks

On 24/08/2017 at 5:15 PM, Martian Hale said:

That's an impressive start! Personally I feel that a waterline model would look most effective. A few crew members scattered about would really convey just how enormous these vessels are.

Martian

Enormous, but Colombo Express doesn't even make it into the world's top 150(!) largest container ships nowadays.... The biggest have 21,000+ TEA (Twenty Foot Equivalent Units) capacity compared to the 8749 of Colombo Express!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2017 at 8:56 AM, Mjwomack said:

Oh yum-yum!

Having an unhealthy interest in containers (I live too near Felixstowe and spend to along on the A14), I keep looking at this and wondering. Will be watching with great interest, and probably planning a Christmas wish!

Who does the resin containers? Are the kit provided ones very poor?

Thanks

The kit containers are fine but are full stacks, they look like large Lego bricks whereas the resin ones have the variety and appearance of randomness in their stacking. The reality is down to weight distribution and balance! There are also photoetch versions out there too!

22 hours ago, Jockster said:

The kit containers are fine but are full stacks, they look like large Lego bricks whereas the resin ones have the variety and appearance of randomness in their stacking. The reality is down to weight distribution and balance! There are also photoetch versions out there too!

There's a bit more to it than just weight distribution & balance. I know @elmarriachi has just placed the container blocks in position, but the stacks towards the front of the ship are too high, there are various rules governing line of sight from the bridge, stack them too high at the front and you can't see anything for miles in front. Viewed from the side the container stacks will slope down from the bridge deck towards the bow. The kit container blocks depict the maximum number of containers, the stacks can be lower than these but never higher. Container loading and destination port can affect stowage position, gantry cranes can't work adjacent stacks, only alternate stacks, so to maximise efficiency and number of working cranes alternate stacks will be loaded/discharged in port A and the stacks inbetween will be loaded/discharged in port B. Between ports it's quite common to see empty bays with fully loaded stacks in between. There's lots of other considerations, eg loaded Reefer containers have to be adjacent to a reefer power outlet on board, and dangerous goods cargos have to be segregated, but most of these you wouldn't be able to tell looking at the real ship, let alone a 1:700 model. The biggest improvement for a realistic looking deck cargo stack would be painting the containers to represent the numerous different carriers and lease company container liveries. There's loads of photo's on line of the ship to see whose containers were carried. White Ensign did some decals for a few company containers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1