Spray booth advice

Vinnie

Hello. Herself has granted me planning permission for a man cave which will enable me to start using an airbrush for the first time. I plan to make a booth incorporating a kitchen extractor fan. I know several people here have made their own, and I wondered if someone would put some photos up to give me some ideas. I only use acrylics, so I don't feel the need for a more expensive brushless fan.

Thanks

Edited by Vinnie

We use just such a set up for lid painting using cellulose thinners. It's a big jump from airbrush fumes to a concentration capable of igniting.

Ours is literally MDF sides screwed to the sides of the kitchen cooker hood and a hardboard back. I added triangular gussets to the MDF sides using the offcuts to widen its footprint and make it more rigid. The hood is ducted to the outside of our paint shed using domestic cooker hood ducting and exterior louvre/damper.

It gets heavy use and works a treat. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

We use just such a set up for lid painting using cellulose thinners. It's a big jump from airbrush fumes to a concentration capable of igniting.

Ours is literally MDF sides screwed to the sides of the kitchen cooker hood and a hardboard back. I added triangular gussets to the MDF sides using the offcuts to widen its footprint and make it more rigid. The hood is ducted to the outside of our paint shed using domestic cooker hood ducting and exterior louvre/damper.

It gets heavy use and works a treat. 

James,  for people in a domestic situation it's more the insurance risk.  If you put flammable materials through a fan that is not certified for them, and it does catch, your insurance would not be liable for any damage as you are not using something that was fit for purpose.  I have had chats to a couple of modellers who have had it catch & it's not a nice experience.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished mine recently. I have a very large rigid cardboard box from a kitchen sink. I cut a rectangular window in the bottom. Installed a $2.00 furnace filter in the window. I rest this on an old dining room high back chair in front of a window. In between the window and box/booth i have a cheap $20.00 floor box fan that you might use to cool a bedroom or other small room. Next to that i have a small table with my compressor and an 1/2 size box fan like i use in the window. I use the smaller fan to keep my compressor cool. I've airbrushed for four hours straight and my compressor stays cool enough to touch the cooling vanes. I have an old aquarium light i will mount on top soon enough. Total spent

$0 for the box, $30.00 for fans and $2-4 dollars a year for a filter. I will add a photo next time im in my office. The other positive about using the old cardboard box ? You can spray on it to test paint and you're not ruining a wood or plastic box. And i can find another box when this one gives up the ghost.sbdQPoF.jpg

sM4Wf8K.jpg

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Photos added