Spitfire Mk.IXc Question

madcat911

I'm currently building a Spitfire Mk.IXc from Eduard and noticed that it has the gun ports for the outer wing Brownings molded shut. Should I drill out these apertures and maybe add a small pipe inside to simulate the MG barrels? Thanks!

Mark

You could, but generally the ports were taped over to keep both  dust on the ground and cold in the air out of the gun workings.  So the holes themselves normally only visible on return from mission until rearmed, how long that would be depends, not long if it's 2 - 3 sorties per day.

Hope this helps

Cheers Will 

Edited by malpaso
Spellchecker

If you do decide to open them up, this what it should look like, compliments of the Spitfiresite.com site:

DSC_0085.JPG

The detail is quite different from what you would see in comparison  to the .303 gun ports.    They are smaller and have blast tubes built into the wings, with the mg barrels mounted flush against them.

regards,

Jack

41 minutes ago, JackG said:

If you do decide to open them up, this what it should look like, compliments of the Spitfiresite.com site:

The detail is quite different from what you would see in comparison  to the .303 gun ports. 

No, it isn't. That's an E armament with a .5 Browning muzzle. The original positer is building a IXc, so the machine guns are .303 Browning.

• Like 2

Thanks for the correction WiP ... for some reason I was thinking of the short stub that was capped off (had no idea that Eduard had the smaller caliber molded closed).  Regardless, I had  the wrong wing anyways.

But yeah, for the browning .303  ports, there would be no discernible mg barrel.

regard,

Jack

"Spitfire Mk.IXc Question"

Answer. There is no such thing as a Mk.IXc.

Just Mk.IX... and then 'early Mk.IX' & MK.IXe with the introduction of the .5 Browning.

Edited by Mark12