German 8ton semi/track

Always a worry putting something up on this site,one mans wine is another persons poison? This old bugger has tough skin so do your worst.This is a Tamiya kit I have been pecking away at,and I feel it is some what up to scratch for a look Thanks.tn_bc20eed8-2aba-4025-9fec-b3b6797c0e91.tn_f1846d38-2dac-4867-a904-4a607bd772ca.tn_4eedb319-aa13-4cee-9eee-5af35ac6ce05.tn_44d6792c-9705-467b-be18-98d413dbf08b.tn_d6044719-0512-42fd-ab13-5ab4172ae33c.tn_f2d7cde1-790d-45ff-8c56-c74a44b970d1.tn_c2bfdef8-2fc3-4b13-b915-c6401a92905c.

• Like 19

Looks good to me.  That canvas cover over the cab has got to be tissue as it's too realistic for a plastic piece.  The subtle rusting and

grunge is excellent, especially like the treatment on the rear deck floor.

Five guys and only seats for two or maybe three so somebody has to play brass monkey in the back when they move and they already look cold.

Don't know if you consider this wine or poison but I like the taste of it.

How about some closer close-ups?

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

Who goes to the top of the class,tissue it is and to me your comment is sweet wine,and only 2 seats.I had a good laugh with your comments always good medicine(or wine) thanks.not sure about the close ups I only have a happy snapper?

Jim

This looks like a 20mm flak gun and when they run out of the ammo already loaded they're done.  Maybe you could scrounge up some more 20mm ammo

or even add some closed boxes to the truck bed and pretend they are extra ammo.  Those 4 barreled things must have ate bullets at a ferocious rate and it looks strange to have 

only what's in the gun, about 4 shells maybe.

You did a great job on the figures but they will be standing around trying to keep warm right quickly when they run the guns dry.  Maybe wondering why Herman didn't load the ammo,

and where is Herman anyway?

Just my $.02  (Canadian so not worth much)

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Thanks 1

I made this kit back in the late 70's/early 80's and it was a smashing kit. Not sure if it's been re-tooled since then, but it looks brilliant either way and certainly brings back memories. Then underside of that 'Famo' is undoubtedly the best , most intricate and interesting of any vehicle and it was/is a shame that it doesn't get seen.

Still, you've done a great job there. The figures are great as well and add to the whole effect. It's all to easy to 'ruin' the whole scene with sub-standard figures. At least, it is for me. My half-track ended up 'sat abandoned' in a snow scene, with footprints leading away from it!

On the ammo front, I seem to remember that the kit came with some spare magazines and at least one crate of ammo that Tamiya would have you place half on the deck, half on the dropped 'gate'? Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

So, a fantastic job Jim.

My one and only bit of advice would be to drill out those gun barrels. With those flared muzzles it's a simple job and really does make a huge difference!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all the above for your welcome comments,will drill out the barrel ends and its always nice to have new ideas and fresh new eyes look at your projects,I did read once after you finish anything its good to leave it and come back after sometime and look at it with fresh eyes ,I do tend to BOB am retired, any extra cash if any goes to another project.Thanks again Cheers. 

Sorry I never replied to you all individually I don't know how to do that?

5 hours ago, Jim Wasley said:

Sorry I never replied to you all individually I don't know how to do that?

No worries Jim.

if you want to reply to a particular comment/person or quote something they said, you can either go to the bottom of their post and click on 'qoute', or you can highlight one of their sentences by placing your cursor over it then tapping and moving the cursor along as you would if you were about to cut and paste something. BM will then flag up the option to quote that section of their text and you simply select it with another tap. Either way, their text will appear in your new comment window.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Badder said:

No worries Jim.

if you want to reply to a particular comment/person or quote something they said, you can either go to the bottom of their post and click on 'qoute', or you can highlight one of their sentences by placing your cursor over it then tapping and moving the cursor along as you would if you were about to cut and paste something. BM will then flag up the option to quote that section of their text and you simply select it with another tap. Either way, their text will appear in your new comment window.

Rearguards,

Badder

How is that Badder,Wow thanks.Dah!!

16 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice job all round Jim. And it's definitely a Jacob's Creek job.

John.

Thanks John,I said to my wife don't know what he means about the Jacobs Creek,Dummy it's a wine,next time I will say beer.Cheers.

• Haha 1

Hi Jim,

Bit late, but hopefully this will come in handy....

When you drill out those gun barrels there's a danger you'll snap or bend them, so here's a tip for you!

First off, get yourself a dowel of balsa wood, approximately 1cm in diameter and cut it to the length of your gun barrels.

Find a drill with a diameter equal to the diameter of the barrels themselves (not the muzzle diameter), or if not, only slightly larger than the barrels.

Using a scalpel and straight edge, slice the dowel in half down it's length, exposing the inner 'slot'.

Test fit both halves of the dowel around the barrel, carving or filing the shape of the muzzle out at the one end if needs be.

Hopefully no carving will be necessary as the balsa wood should compress enough. 

But then you should be able to 'clamp' the barrels firmly between the two halves of balsa wood, holding them steady and stopping them from bending and snapping when you drill into them.

Of course, you may just want to melt a hole in them rather than drill them, but sometimes you run the risk of melting them beyond repair.

Rearguards

Badder

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Jim,

Bit late, but hopefully this will come in handy....

When you drill out those gun barrels there's a danger you'll snap or bend them, so here's a tip for you!

First off, get yourself a dowel of balsa wood, approximately 1cm in diameter and cut it to the length of your gun barrels.

Find a drill with a diameter equal to the diameter of the barrels themselves (not the muzzle diameter), or if not, only slightly larger than the barrels.

Using a scalpel and straight edge, slice the dowel in half down it's length, exposing the inner 'slot'.

Test fit both halves of the dowel around the barrel, carving or filing the shape of the muzzle out at the one end if needs be.

Hopefully no carving will be necessary as the balsa wood should compress enough. 

But then you should be able to 'clamp' the barrels firmly between the two halves of balsa wood, holding them steady and stopping them from bending and snapping when you drill into them.

Of course, you may just want to melt a hole in them rather than drill them, but sometimes you run the risk of melting them beyond repair.

Rearguards

Badder

Thanks very much for that info a really great idea,I shall keep that one in the memory bank,but I put the holes in the end as soon as the first one commented on them,I used a hand drill and had no problems,I did drill small then work up in size until I was not game to go any further,I just ran some lead pencil around the edge,and I was happy enough with this,does look better and I noticed the gun smoke come out after,Also if any one is interested I do work on a shoe string when I build my kits after raising a family and living in a isolated area with no contact with other modelers and everything I have to buy on line I try to make do with what is ever at hand after close to 40 years at this off and on,some modelers commented on the rust on this model,this is how I make/do my rust,one pic is of a old cooking pot that I leave out to weather and I use the rust from it by dry brushing or wet brushing,and the other pic is steel wool,I wet this let it rust and grind it into a powder,this is good to use with white glue around heavy rust areas and exhausts,Well if any one says it does not look like rust,it really is.Hope this is of help to some and not to boring to others.Cheers.tn_4454c5a3-d369-4071-a3cb-3cc96648681f.tn_5e8c7adc-3a66-4322-8f7d-bff147101777.tn_649be622-f6b0-4d97-a4d0-463279274fc7.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Very good your Sdkfz, with a suitable base would be even better. I also have one of these semi finished / spoiled in a box about 20 years ago, it makes me want to take it back from seeing yours ...

Cheers Jim :thumbsup2:

Thanks for that much appreciated Cheers.

• 3 months later...

I just popped to my local Model Railway Shop to buy some CA. Since the closure of my LHS, the owner pf the 'Railway Shop' is slowly increasing his stock of AFV models. So rather than coming out with two or three bottles of CA, I left with the CA, Tamiya's 8 ton Semi-track with the full passenger compartment and 8 figures, and also Tamiya's 88mm Flak Gun kit. So nearly 60 quid out of pocket! That's my Christmas present to myself sorted!

Anyway, I typed 8 ton semi-track into the search box and found this topic again.

I see you've now drilled out the barrels. It makes so much difference.

BTW the guns were capable of firing at a rate of 1800 rounds per minute between them, but in practice fired only 800 rpm. Each magazine held only 20 rounds though, so changing magazines could be almost continuous. Of course, magazines could be changed on any gun while the other three guns were still firing. Nevertheless, the magazines were used up very quickly! There was storage for spare magazines in racks inside the shield, and room for a few crates as well, stored on the deck, but obviously ammo was carried by other vehicles, as were gun crew.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Badder said:

I just popped to my local Model Railway Shop to buy some CA. Since the closure of my LHS, the owner pf the 'Railway Shop' is slowly increasing his stock of AFV models. So rather than coming out with two or three bottles of CA, I left with the CA, Tamiya's 8 ton Semi-track with the full passenger compartment and 8 figures, and also Tamiya's 88mm Flak Gun kit. So nearly 60 quid out of pocket! That's my Christmas present to myself sorted!

Anyway, I typed 8 ton semi-track into the search box and found this topic again.

I see you've now drilled out the barrels. It makes so much difference.

BTW the guns were capable of firing at a rate of 1800 rounds per minute between them, but in practice fired only 800 rpm. Each magazine held only 20 rounds though, so changing magazines could be almost continuous. Of course, magazines could be changed on any gun while the other three guns were still firing. Nevertheless, the magazines were used up very quickly! There was storage for spare magazines in racks inside the shield, and room for a few crates as well, stored on the deck, but obviously ammo was carried by other vehicles, as were gun crew.

Rearguards,

Badder

Lucky you, I do not have any close shops nearby,other wise I would be like you going in for one thing and coming out with a arm full,sounds like a great lot you have there,you sure are going to be a busy modeler with that Dio and now this kit,will look forward to seeing either one finished.Cheers.

• Thanks 1