Airbrush Kit and Compressor - anything else?

Pottyscotty

I'd like to move on to airbrushing but know next to nothing about it. I have found an airbrush kit and a compressor, and the numbers seem to add up, is this all I need to get started?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/auto-stop-mini-compressor-with-air-tube.html?countrycode=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz_TMBRD0ARIsADfk7hTvBrrKGeiioKJvCk_58p0Mv545R6mf4wd2Wt0VE-TiE0kFCdlZjeEaAmPpEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&___store=en_us

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/single-action-air-brush-set.html

(if anyone knows of a better combination around £30 [not looking for anything fancy] then it'd be greatly appreciated).

I can't comment about airbrushes for £30, or complete airbrush-compressor sets, so I'll have to just tell you what else you should budget for to get started. These are some mundane but essential odds and ends which I wouldn't be without. This is not a complete list because I wanted to keep it short and simple; and I assume that you already have paint and thinner.

- Paper towel and soft cotton buds.

- Airbrush cleaner.

- Keep some water handy and ispopropanol may be useful too.

- A few self-closing tweezers or some other way of holding parts. Around £1-2 each on eBay.

- A couple of jam jars or similar for cleaning and dumping paint.

- Measuring medicine cups or similar, such as cheap 30ml packs from eBay. For mixing / thinning / adding retarder. I will never mix in the airbrush cup.

- Pipettes. Cheap 2ml or 3ml in big quantities from eBay.

- A metal stirrer. I found an unbranded one for 99p. Easy to keep clean and works out cheaper in the long run than anything disposable.

Most of these can be found cheaply from eBay or pound stores (not checked though; none near to me) except for airbrush cleaner, which I find a bit costly despite being careful with it.

Edited by Ade H

With tools you only get what you pay for, don't touch an airbrush that retails at under £6, it's only going to cause you grief. Spend a little more on a normal double action brush, they have them for £20. You'll probably also have postage charges, Vat and clearance fee to pay, as it looks like it comes from Hong Kong. Can't see any warranty mentioned.

Personally in your position I would probably look at one of the AS-18 compressors with airbrushes on Ebay in the UK for about £50 .  Check the feedback before you buy though.

Also, easier to return it if there is a problem.  Make sure you get at least a 1 year warranty.

Paul

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ade H said:

I can't comment about airbrushes for £30, or complete airbrush-compressor sets, so I'll have to just tell you what else you should budget for to get started. These are some mundane but essential odds and ends which I wouldn't be without. This is not a complete list because I wanted to keep it short and simple; and I assume that you already have paint and thinner.

Thank you for the list, there is a lot of pound and hobby places around here so should be easy to find it all.

27 minutes ago, little-cars said:

Personally in your position I would probably look at one of the AS-18 compressors with airbrushes on Ebay in the UK for about £50 .  Check the feedback before you buy though.

Also, easier to return it if there is a problem.  Make sure you get at least a 1 year warranty.

Not sure why I thought I'd cap myself to £30 to be honest, I haven't really got any reason to haha. Thank you, had a look and I found one for £64 (Compressor, 2 Airbrushes and a hose), so will likely get that. I imagine once postage had been added to the first two items it would seem daft not to pay that bit more for a second airbrush and higher quality.