Skyraider wingtip landing lights?

ReccePhreak

I was researching details for my black bottom A-1J Skyraider, and I came across a photo of one with what appears to be a drop down landing light on the left wingtip.
http://skyraider.org/skyassn/otherpics/west/EOR_2.jpg
This feature is not on the Tamiya kit, was it a common item on AF Skyraiders?
If so, was there one on each wingtip?

Larry

2 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

I was researching details for my black bottom A-1J Skyraider, and I came across a photo of one with what appears to be a drop down landing light on the left wingtip.
http://skyraider.org/skyassn/otherpics/west/EOR_2.jpg
This feature is not on the Tamiya kit, was it a common item on AF Skyraiders?
If so, was there one on each wingtip?

Larry

Larry,

After looking through my two Ginter books on the Skyraider, photos, and a Skyraider Modeling Manual, I think the USAF A-1E's and A-1H's had a retractable landing light under the port wing only. It also appears from written and photographic references, that some USN and AF AD's had a "short" LH landing gear fairing that had a light fitted in its center. Off the top of my pointy little head, I would think a landing light would be of much more use to a land-based Spad than any that operated off of a carrier, as I would think an approach light would be of much more use to them. I don't see landing lights under the wings of any Navy/Marine AD's through the AD-5/AD-6. I'm betting Tailspin Turtle will elaborate if he sees this post. Hope I got this right!

Mike

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Larry,

After looking through my two Ginter books on the Skyraider, photos, and a Skyraider Modeling Manual, I think the USAF A-1E's and A-1H's had a retractable landing light under the port wing only. It also appears from written and photographic references, that some USN and AF AD's had a "short" LH landing gear fairing that had a light fitted in its center. Off the top of my pointy little head, I would think a landing light would be of much more use to a land-based Spad than any that operated off of a carrier, as I would think an approach light would be of much more use to them. I don't see landing lights under the wings of any Navy/Marine AD's through the AD-5/AD-6. I'm betting Tailspin Turtle will elaborate if he sees this post. Hope I got this right!

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I looked through all my Skyraider books, and couldn't find any info on the landing/taxi lights. I used the plural, because I found a few pics that show what appears to be lights under both wingtips.

http://skyraider.org/skyassn/otherpics/fielder/frags.jpg

ET016bank.jpg

Apparently the Zoukei-Mura 1/32 A-1J Skyraider has the lights under both wingtips, although I haven't seen any pics of the relevant parts.

I don't plan on having the light "deployed" on my model, but I do want them to be accurately shaped & positioned.

Larry

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Larry,

Mike

I only know a little about the USAF/VNAF Spads and that only because I'm trying to help Paul Fisher with his forthcoming A-1E family model conversion. Also see http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2017/08/usafvnaf-1es.html

Note that no Navy ADs had either the landing or the taxi lights. I suspect that the "short" landing gear door was a modified single-seat AD forward-facing fairing being used on an A-1E and it had to be shortened to provide clearance for the catapult hook that was on the A-1E landing gear strut.

2 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

I only know a little about the USAF/VNAF Spads and that only because I'm trying to help Paul Fisher with his forthcoming A-1E family model conversion. Also see http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2017/08/usafvnaf-1es.html

Note that no Navy ADs had either the landing or the taxi lights. I suspect that the "short" landing gear door was a modified single-seat AD forward-facing fairing being used on an A-1E and it had to be shortened to provide clearance for the catapult hook that was on the A-1E landing gear strut.

Thanks for the reply, Tommy. I was wondering what the reason was for the 'short' fairing door!

Mike

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:52 PM, ReccePhreak said:

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I looked through all my Skyraider books, and couldn't find any info on the landing/taxi lights. I used the plural, because I found a few pics that show what appears to be lights under both wingtips.

http://skyraider.org/skyassn/otherpics/fielder/frags.jpg

ET016bank.jpg

Apparently the Zoukei-Mura 1/32 A-1J Skyraider has the lights under both wingtips, although I haven't seen any pics of the relevant parts.

I don't plan on having the light "deployed" on my model, but I do want them to be accurately shaped & positioned.

Larry

Larry- I have an acquaintance who is a former AF Spad driver checking his manuals and photos for clarification on the landing lights- says he can't remember offhand, but will try to find a definitive answer. Stay tuned.

Mike

• 1 year later...
On 8/24/2017 at 7:23 PM, 72modeler said:

Larry- I have an acquaintance who is a former AF Spad driver checking his manuals and photos for clarification on the landing lights- says he can't remember offhand, but will try to find a definitive answer. Stay tuned.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Reviving this old thread, as I just started working on my Tamiya Skyraider.

Any updated info from your friend?

Larry

Larry,

I sent an email to Jim and got two photos back- one shows the retractable landing light fitted under each wingtip on the A-1H; the other shows the light built into the front of the LH gear fairing. If you can pm me to give me your email address, I can send both photos to you. Looks like the retractable lights were fitted to the A-1H's at least. Perhaps @Tailspin Turtle can add his expertise. I will also check my Ginter Skyraider reference books for details.

Mike

10 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Larry,

I sent an email to Jim and got two photos back- one shows the retractable landing light fitted under each wingtip on the A-1H; the other shows the light built into the front of the LH gear fairing. If you can pm me to give me your email address, I can send both photos to you. Looks like the retractable lights were fitted to the A-1H's at least. Perhaps @Tailspin Turtle can add his expertise. I will also check my Ginter Skyraider reference books for details.

Mike

My understanding is that the retractable wingtip landing lights were strictly an Air Force addition on both the single seat and wide-body Skyraiders. Maybe not all or both wingtips. There also might be a "taxi" light on one or both of the main landing gear forward-facing doors. If a Navy Skyraider had a landing/taxi light, it was mounted on the right landing gear strut, not the forward-facing door.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Tommy! I was thinking the underwing lights were an AF Spad  fixture,  but wanted the Oracle to speak on the subject for confirmation or correction. None of the Spads in the two Ginter books showed them, but that makes sense, as only the USN/USMC AD's were  covered. Thanks for taking the time to help Larry with his question. 👍

Mike