Spitfire Mk.VIII Top Cowl - 1:72 Eduard

Spitfire Mk.VIII Top Cowl

1:72 Eduard

spitviicowl_01.jpg

Eduard produced a resin upper cowling for their Mk. IX and Mk. XVI kits, so it's no surprise that a Mk. VIII version has found its way into the catalogue too. While not an essential upgrade, the new part is helpful if you don't fancy dealing with the seam caused by the division of the kit part into separate port and starboard halves.  The part is well made and will be handy if you wish to finish your model with an exposed engine.

spitviicowl_02.jpg

Conclusion

There's nothing much wrong with Eduard's small scale Spitfire kits, but even the best can be improved on. Naturally Eduard themselves have provided the means to enhance their kit, and with a host of resin and photo etched parts (reviewed elsewhere), this new range of kits and accessories is shaping up to be one of the premier modelling projects for fans of WWII subjects. Highly recommended. 

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of 

logo.gif
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tony Oliver said:

That's interesting because R40 is the same part as their mk ix early resin cowl part. 

Thanks, Tony. I was just about to ask what the difference was.

John.

• Thanks 1

Yeah the three cowls they have released so far - 

R40 - 9 early

R41 - 9 late

R42 - 16

So this looks like the same part reboxed for the 8... 

This isn't new nor a bad thing. I have come across it before as Eduard have done this a few times when the brassin parts used are the same across several variants - given each one its own distinct box rather than having multi purpose parts. 

Eg off the top of my head the 1/48 BF109 F4 and the G2 brassin wheels are the same parts but in different boxes. So each kit has its own brassin parts released at the same time as the kit, rather than waiting till after both were out and then having a one box of F4/G2 wheels. 

Back to the cowls -

I dont have any plastic parts or instructions to hand at the minute but would be interesting to see if the plastic cowl parts to be used in a 9 early and 8 kit are the same...