1/24 Airfix Spitfire query

chrisrope

Hi

I am currently fiddling around with the Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Vb. 

I've added a wing spar to stiffen the wings up and getting to the point I will need to start painting and gluing. Before doing so I have a question or 2 :)

As I plan to have the engine covers stuck in place, can I leave the engine out, has anyone built one without it in place? I can back the exhaust ports in order to mount the exhaust stubs and stick the prop on as I'm not fussed about it spinning wMnQvBp.jpg

My other question is which part of the undercarriage leg is extended and needs shortening? I would like it to sit right and understand the legs are in an unloaded, extended position. 

2r8FWqx.jpg

Just wish they could be fitted at the end rather than earlier in the build :(

Cheers

Chris

Dont know it helps but i rebuilt my Brother in laws airfix 1/24th P-51 a couple of years ago and left the engine out. You just need to make a strong structure in the nose if you want the prop movable ? If you're ok with the prop solid just glue it to the airframe. He had originally built it in 1977 and it sat in a dark damp basement until 2015. I tore it completely down to its parts and built it from scratch.

• Like 1

Hi Chris - Bad news if you wanted the engine in - it should already be in by this stage - it won't fit in now - so good news - you can manage without - I did the same with my Airfix 1/24 Hurricane and it actually looks better than some of the droopy nosed 'engine in' ones I've seen.

I would add some evergreen shims in the exposed engine area though - to give the top cowling more to grip to.

Re the undercarriage legs - not a clue I'm afraid.

Finally the prop - if you haven't already assembled it - just make sure you put the rod in the back of the prop base - it actually fits very snuggly in the hole at the front of the aircraft - allowing you to pose and repose as desired.

Good luck with the rest of the build - hope you pop it in the RFI section when completed.

Cheers - Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

???

In that pic the fuselage is clearly only taped together, not glued together

well that's good news

On the gear legs, what you need to "compress" is the oleo, which is the cylindrical portion just before you get down to the wheel mount itself.  On the real thing, it would slide up into the larger diameter section above it.  Perhaps it would be wise to study some representative shots of early Spitfires at rest, and note how the top of the tire stands a bit higher than the gear door alongside it.

bob

• Like 1

Yes @BIG X it is just taped together at the moment ;) , I have to keep checking clearances over the wing spar. I do plan to brace up the nose section as it still needs to be spread out to get the top cowl to fit satisfactorily. Good shout on the prop base, I'll give that a go.

@gingerbob that's great thank you. I thought it would be that part, just wanted to be sure. I shall check some pics and get cutting 

• Like 1

Hey Chris - you really should do a 'work in progress' thread on this - plenty of folk have built them and can help with tips and ideas - but then again there are loads of people who haven't got round to it yet and could learn a lot from your experiences.

Most 1/24 Airfix Spits on here only appear as RFI threads - not showing all the fun that can be had along the way.

I will try and get one sorted :)

As Photobucket won't get my money and Flikr is playing up I'm playing around with other hosting sites. I have to take photos and post with my phone as I don't have a decent camera. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chrisrope said:

I will try and get one sorted :)

As Photobucket won't get my money and Flikr is playing up I'm playing around with other hosting sites. I have to take photos and post with my phone as I don't have a decent camera. 

I use - https://postimages.org/ You don't even need to sign up - it works great for me.

It's the iPhone app that's not working :(

Can't even get in to upload anything 

Thank you for those pictures, they are very helpful 

Edit:- Flikr app has just updated and working fine. Will start a WIP soon as, will be a slow burner though :D 

Edited by chrisrope
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, gingerbob said:

On the gear legs, what you need to "compress" is the oleo, which is the cylindrical portion just before you get down to the wheel mount itself.  On the real thing, it would slide up into the larger diameter section above it.  Perhaps it would be wise to study some representative shots of early Spitfires at rest, and note how the top of the tire stands a bit higher than the gear door alongside it.

bob

Hi Bob,

The above statement appears to contradict the pictures 6 posts below yours.  To me, they seem to show the top of the tyre below the round part of the gear door.  Not trying to be confrontational; just confused.

Regards

Martin

Mike, those photos are of a warbird- probably considerably lighter than a wartime Mk.I would be.  HOWEVER, I went and looked at some Mk.I photos, and some (most?) look similar to the close-ups, while in others (or one wheel) more like I described.  So, sorry for shooting from the hip (model kits have a tendency to have the oleos at full stretch), but still I suggest some looking at wartime photos and making one's own decision about what looks right.  There is no absolute right answer, because each strut will stop where force and friction meet.

(Edit: My example is a Mk.I, as were the closeups, so I forgot that the subject of this thread is a Vb, but I doubt it's going to be much different.)

Edited by gingerbob

Seeing this kit always takes me back. I built it when I was around 10, and did it with a fantastic dark earth / dark green engine, because I was around 10 and decided that would look cool.

Which is all rather off-piste from the above. Just thought I would share the anecdote!

• Like 2

the kit looks very similar to the Airfix Mk.1a 1/24 which i have just finished.

the main issue i had was the decals. they were sooo thin. Nightmare to apply as they break as soon as you look at them & so thin they are actually semi-transparent when applied.

re: the engine, i can't see any reason other than supporting the exhausts & prop why you can't omit it, but the engine does look nice when installed. a reet pain to fit though. it's the bracing struts that caused me the most problems.

for me, the engine cowls don't stay in place without the glue which is unfortunate.

re: the undercarraige legs, mine are in the down position. if i raise them up, the cover on 1 wheel doesn't go flush with the wing underside, but i'm not bothered. not sure what you mean about shortening a leg, i didn't need to do anything.

in general:

a fair bit of filling to do.

a disappointing cockpit/seat/etc - detail-wise.

bad fitting front capony part (the fixed part), but milliput filled this nicely (great stuff!)

i stuck a custom-made crowbar on the cockpit door interior. looks great & adds a bit of much-needed detail.

unfortunately i also bought a Bf109 1/24 intending to build them as a pair, but i'm not prepared to spend the same time & effort on anything WW2 german.

Edited by mikek