canberraman

I have long wanted to build a Victor SR.2 in 543 Sqn mks from RAF Wyton, my local airfield. I had begun work on a conversion from the Matchbox K.2 but that project stalled and remains on the shelf of doom. Following release of the lovely Airfix B.2 I would imagine this forms a much easier basis for a conversion to the recce variant being that it has the correct wingspan and no need to remove the centreline HDU.

Does anyone know whether the SR.2 can be built from the box 'as is' and if not do you think it likely that Airfix may issue an SR.2 conversion like they did for the recce Valiant? I am aware that the major difference would be to create the camera arrays and extra fuel tank in the bomb bay but I would be content to leave this closed as it looks like a major scratch build beyond my skill level. So if not displaying the camera bay open what other changes would I need to consider?

Mark

• Like 2

The only external visual difference I can see between the B.2 and the SR.2 is on the tail cone.  The B.2s have six teardrop shaped fairings that circle the tail cone and they appear to be absent from all  the pics of SR.2s I've seen (and K.2s for that matter).  I think this was part of the defensive suite which might have been omitted on the SR.2.   Easy enough to remove these from the kit.

Hi Canberraman 

I have just looked at my A/F Victor and the parts you require are in the the kit  air fix give both the tail cones in the kit the parts you need are on frame F part numbers 11 and 12. 

Geoff Arnold 

Telford IPMS

World Heli Sig

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Geoff Arnold said:

Hi Canberraman 

I have just looked at my A/F Victor and the parts you require are in the the kit  air fix give both the tail cones in the kit the parts you need are on frame F part numbers 11 and 12. 

Geoff Arnold 

Telford IPMS

World Heli Sig

Ah ha.  Obviously a K.2 and maybe an SR.2 in the pipeline then. 

Hi Meatbox8

If you look on the lower outer wing panels you should notice drilling holes ready for the wing refuelling pods.

Telford IPMS

World Heli Sig

Geoff Arnold 

• Like 1

Some SR.2s had the blistered rear tail cone, so depending on which one you build you could use it.

If you want to set it apart from a B.2 (but create more work for yourself) you could add the air sampler noses to the underwing tanks

Someone on eBay had produced a printed camera crate, along with braking parachute, I bought a crate from him, but I can't recall his details and a search of eBay hasn't turned anything up

All SR.2s that I have seen have the additional fuel dump points that were not fitted to the B.2 variants. It seems that with the mods to SR configuration the fuel dump points were added. One on each underwing slipper tank under a new fairing towards the rear of the tank (quite noticeable) plus a dump mast added under the rear fuselage to the left of the tail bumper wheel - see this pic:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/Handley-Page-HP-80-Victor-SR2/1227642?qsp=eJwtjEEKAjEMRe%2BStZsizGJ2egFdeIGQfnSw2pIEnDLM3Y3F3eM9eBtJfTtWv/UGmsnAKg86UGPll9G80RP9UzUH01rSlCJaVT/3EJkdJxE0R/77i2boL8FkfO7xTQHQ62A6TuHzYq3weMB5KbTvX/syLhc%3D

Hope this helps

Rick

• Like 3

@Spad I wonder whether the fuel dumps were added a bit later. There are some interesting photos here including a side view of XH672 which looks like it doesn't have the fuel dump points under the slipper tanks. This one too. But there are certainly a lot of photos of SR.2s with them fitted - seems to be a case of check your references.

The link with the photo of XH672 also includes a photo with the recce crate removed and a couple of people working on it in front of the aircraft - that would look good next to the model!

Does anyone know where to find good photos of the air samplers on the slipper tanks?

• Like 1

On 8/22/2017 at 9:28 PM, canberraman said:

I have long wanted to build a Victor SR.2 in 543 Sqn mks from RAF Wyton, my local airfield. I had begun work on a conversion from the Matchbox K.2 but that project stalled and remains on the shelf of doom. Following release of the lovely Airfix B.2 I would imagine this forms a much easier basis for a conversion to the recce variant being that it has the correct wingspan and no need to remove the centreline HDU.

Does anyone know whether the SR.2 can be built from the box 'as is' and if not do you think it likely that Airfix may issue an SR.2 conversion like they did for the recce Valiant? I am aware that the major difference would be to create the camera arrays and extra fuel tank in the bomb bay but I would be content to leave this closed as it looks like a major scratch build beyond my skill level. So if not displaying the camera bay open what other changes would I need to consider?

Mark

On 8/28/2017 at 11:06 PM, GordonM said:

Someone on eBay had produced a printed camera crate, along with braking parachute, I bought a crate from him, but I can't recall his details and a search of eBay hasn't turned anything up

There's an ebay user called Cathobo who does a 'PR Camera Crate/Fuel tanks mod' for the SR2 (no mention of a parachute). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XV107 said:

There's an ebay user called Cathobo who does a 'PR Camera Crate/Fuel tanks mod' for the SR2 (no mention of a parachute). 

That appears to be a rather crude simulation of the day crate together with the two bomb bay tanks fore and aft that we had.  The airflow deflector at the front of the bomb bay is incorrect as we had the gauze type as opposed to the solid type on all others.

Yes Zebra, the fuel jettison mods to the fuselage and mainplane groups were added after the aircraft entered service although a few of the Wittering Wing aircraft had the fuselage group jettison mod carried out before leaving service.  The ECM blisters at the rear were removed from the SR.2's soon after entering service as we did not carry ECM.  The resulting gaps were covered by shaped flat plates.

• Like 2