Revell Aqua Paints for 1940 Luftwaffe Colours

Marvel Onkey

Hello All

I'm experimenting with changing paint brands to find which one suits me best (brush painting). I thought I'd try Revell Aqua acrylic for my next model- to give a fair comparison I thought I'd try a Bf-109 from the BoB era (as I've not long completed one with Humbrol acrylic).

Can anyone let me know which Revell Aqua paints (or mixes of them, as I know Revell go that route at times) are a reasonable match for the standard RLM colours of 65, 70, 71 and 02 found on Bf-109s of that period?

I'm not bothered that they are a match for the Humbrol paint colours, just that they are a reasonable likeness for the Luftwaffe colours.

Thanks

A while back I cross referenced some Revell instructions sheets,   45 Light Olive is a very good match for RLM 02 btw.

OK, found it, here

right, according to the instructions of Revell 109G-6

https://www.revell.de/en/products/model-building/aircraft/world-war-ii/id/04665.html

S= Revell Blaugrau Matt 79  (RLM 75)

T= Revell Mausgrau Matt 47 (RLM 74)

annoying the paint diagram shows only the "S" and "T"  and notes the RLM numbers, the paint  list shows the paint name/number and gives it a letter.

the flippin' Revell site does not do anything helpful like list the RLM colours  in the paint list though, so it's the cross reference, which is a PITA,  

An actual list of the revell paint and RLM equivalents would be useful, I'm sure  it's out there somewhere!

A final point, the thread would have got better answers if titled,  "RLM 74/75, which Revell Aqua or Humbrol colours", and ask for comments  on how the paint brushes,  or hints  on how to  get the  best.

HTH

T

PS

more looking  at  Revell instructions

RLM 04 Gelb = 15 yellow 

RLM 24 Blau = a mix of 90% 52 blue  + 10% 05 white 

RLM 25 = 364 leaf green 

RLM 65 Blau = 49 light blue  (note Revell seem to say this for RLM 76 as well, but can't be both)

RLM 66 Schwarz grau = Revell 77 Dusty Grey

RLM 70 schwarzgrun = 40 black green

RLM 71 Dunkelgrun = 39 dark green

RLM 82 dark  green = 65 bronze green 

RLM 02 = revell 45 light olive matt - which maybe one of the best.

see 

I think the 'Humbrol' should be 'Revell' but read the thread,  many RLM 02's are not good matches.

HTH

T

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much for all the info- I knew I'd read a thread somewhere that had a similar question, but Google search let me down (I searched for Revell, not RLM, that was the problem I see now).

Off to the paint shop tomorrow then!

Another Question- are the Revell sample pots any good? I've unearthed a couple that I think came with a Hurricane starter set I bought ages ago- I find the Humbrol ones that come with Airfix stater kits can be a bit grainy for brush painting.

Edited by Marvel Onkey
Added a question I thought of later

Going back to Troy's post, these are "Revell equivalent" colours/mixes for RLM paints but, with the exception of 45/Grau 02 (thanks, Nick) has anyone studied how well they match up to the colours they are supposed to be?  For example to my eye 78 Panzergrau is a much better match to the Ullmann RLM66 swatch than 77 Staubgrau.

Edited by Seahawk

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I will be very interested to know how you got on with this. I'm new to scale modelling, brush paint exclusively and I've settled on Revell Aqua paints.

My first model was using Humbrol and I didn't get on with them but to be fair they were the little tester pots that came with an Airfix starter kit and they'd separated, not sure if that's normal? I went with Revell after reading good reviews and finding a job lot local on eBay!

My previous kit was painted with Tamiya acrylics which I did not like, dries way to quick leaving surfaces sticky and brushes clogged. You can't overpaint  after a matter seconds so it dries streaky or with raised edges. I'm currently trying Mr Color on a build, they're very similar to Tamiya but easier to use I find and cover better. I will say though their ability to self-settle is incredible, they shrink into panel lines and details and reduce brush strokes really well.

I've just bought an Eduard 1/48 BF109-E1 weekend edition and am trying to find Revell equivalents of the RLM colours. 

On 22/08/2017 at 1:18 PM, Troy Smith said:

RLM 65 Blau = 49 light blue  (note Revell seem to say this for RLM 76 as well, but can't be both)

RLM 66 Schwarz grau = Revell 77 Dusty Grey

RLM 70 schwarzgrun = 40 black green

RLM 71 Dunkelgrun = 39 dark green

This list seems very good (and fortunately I have 4 of these in my job lot purchase!). I have standard grey which I was going to use as RLM 02, German interiors all seem to be grey and looking at builds on YouTube, various shades of grey all turn out OK so happy to go with that.

Next big thing tho- how to do Luftwaffe mottling with a brush and acrylics.....

Hope the build goes well.

According to this page, Revell 45 is a decent RLM 02, which was a fairly greenish grey, like a paler dark slate grey in some ways, he compares to a couple of recent RLM charts from respected reference books. I used google translate to be able to follow the discussion.

Steve.

14 hours ago, saphillips said:

Next big thing tho- how to do Luftwaffe mottling with a brush and acrylics.....

It isn't too difficult; although I only do 1:72 at which scale it's fairly easy to give a reasonable impression of the effect- at 1:48 it might be harder to make it look exactly like the real thing.

Finish your camouflage coats first, then add the mottle. I suppose you could varnish the finished paint job first so you could remove the mottle if it went wrong, but I usually take some brave pills and crack on over top of the finished paint job.

My method for adding the mottle is a bit like dry brushing- I use a small stippling brush (mine comes from a Humbrol set of varying sizes): dip it lightly in the paint, then dab it end on onto some kitchen towel to remove most of the paint, then dab it end on onto the plane.

Much like dry brushing the trick is to build up the amount of mottle little by little, not going too heavy, just dabbing away with tiny amounts of paint until you get the effect looking sort of right all over the plane. The hardness of the bristles of the stippling brush seem to give the right sort of effect.

I find it helps to stop adding mottle sooner rather than later, leave it for a bit then come back and view the overall effect- it is easier to add a little bit more in places if you think you've under-done it. If you've over-done it you can always tone it down a bit by using the same technique but dabbing on light blue rather than dark green (but it is best not to have to do this, it doesn't look quite right).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like a good idea, thanks. I've seen something using enamels where you paint thinner on to the plane then dab on the mottle colour so it bleeds on the thinner and spreads to fade the edges. Thin layers of the base colour can be added over the top to lessen the effect and blend it more. 

I thought I might give that a go with acrylic too, see how it goes. I thought it could work with Revell aqua as they need to be thinned a lot anyway. I'll experiment on the inside of a wing so it's not seen when glued together. Need to finish my F4 Corsair first!

Cheers