Malta based Suez Canberra Bomb trolley & tractor - type / colours?

Rabbit Leader

All,

Apologies if this thread is in the wrong area (vechicles perhaps?), however I've posted it in the Aviation section as IMO it also relatess to Aircraft.

So' I'm thinking of hacking away at a 1973 edition Airfix 1/72 Canberra B.6 and the Aeroclub corrected nose conversion.

Should it come off (and the odds are stacked against me) I have a vision of displaying this kit on jacks and with a suitable bomb trolley and tractor.

My questions are -

1. Does anyone have any clear photographs / diagrams of the jacking mechanism that seems to extend from inside the Canberra's main gear doors?

2. What colour are these jack poles (red perhaps?)

3. What type of bomb trolley would typically be used for a Malta based Canberra circa 1956 and would I get away with using one (modified?) from the Airfix Bomber resupply set?  

4. Once again, is the Tractor supplied with this same set suitable for use? (I'm happy to accept near enough here)

5. Advice on appropriate colours for tractor and bomb trolley would also be appreciated - RAF Blue / Yellow / Dark Green ? 

6. Are the Freightdog 1000 LB HE Bombs the best source for aftermarket bombs currently available? 

Here's a image. Although this is a B.16 based at Tengah, do you think that these colours would still be in use? 

35922980883_0a0d3c2a20_z.jpg

Apologies for the slew of questions, however every bit of feedback and assistance would be greatfully accepted.

Cheers and thanks for reading .. Dave.  

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

All,

Apologies if this thread is in the wrong area (vechicles perhaps?), however I've posted it in the Aviation section as IMO it also relatess to Aircraft.

So' I'm thinking of hacking away at a 1973 edition Airfix 1/72 Canberra B.6 and the Aeroclub corrected nose conversion.

Should it come off (and the odds are stacked against me) I have a vision of displaying this kit on jacks and with a suitable bomb trolley and tractor.

My questions are -

1. Does anyone have any clear photographs / diagrams of the jacking mechanism that seems to extend from inside the Canberra's main gear doors?

2. What colour are these jack poles (red perhaps?)

3. What type of bomb trolley would typically be used for a Malta based Canberra circa 1956 and would I get away with using one (modified?) from the Airfix Bomber resupply set?  

4. Once again, is the Tractor supplied with this same set suitable for use? (I'm happy to accept near enough here)

5. Advice on appropriate colours for tractor and bomb trolley would also be appreciated - RAF Blue / Yellow / Dark Green ? 

6. Are the Freightdog 1000 LB HE Bombs the best source for aftermarket bombs currently available? 

Here's a image. Although this is a B.16 based at Tengah, do you think that these colours would still be in use? 

35922980883_0a0d3c2a20_z.jpg

Apologies for the slew of questions, however every bit of feedback and assistance would be greatfully accepted.

Cheers and thanks for reading .. Dave.  

This is a Type C bomb trolley (Left)  fitted with canberra carrier  loading rails  and a canberra loading trolley Mk 2 (right) in the process of loading a triple carrier to the aircraft.  Its a Mk 2 loading trolley as it has external  power connections  (see just to the left of the guy pushing the loader) the both painted in  BS381c 169 traffic blue. The Bomb trolley seems to have white painted side rails.

The triple bomb carrier was slid off the end of the rails onto the canberra loader head and then loaded into the  bomb bay. This loading system was introduced with canberra B2 , and I have a picture  of this system being used to load a canberra in cyprus  during Suez crisis.

The Tractor you refer to would be suitable  depending how accurate you want to be the postwar version was slightly different in the radiator front bumper area

Tractor towing a C type followed by an F type ;

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-suez-crisis-1956-raf-ground-crew-loading-bombs-onto-canberras-on-an-20197446.html

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 4

Selwyn,

I'm so glad you've seen this question and answered my trolley & tractor questions.

So it looks like the Type C (with additional Canberra rails) and Tractor from the Resupply set may come in handy with this project. That's great news.

I've googled BS381c 169 Traffic Blue and it came up with the shade below.

That's quite an interesting colour and one I've not heard before. Matching this may be a problem unless someone knows of a ready made product that is already available.

Something tells me that the Tractor would not be in a similar shade, however (as always) I'm happy top be proved wrong with this.

BS381C_169.jpg

Cheers .... Dave

MT vehicles, such as tractors and tugs were generally painted in RAF Blue Grey (BS633), usually with a yellow roof , on in the case of tractors, a yellow bonnet.

Believe Traffic Blue was for GSE and other equipment.

This shot might help,

2011-10-25_3.JPG

From Pintrest http://www.singas.co.uk/Paul_Munro/2011-10-25_3.JPG

Fascinating info from Selwyn!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Selwyn,

I'm so glad you've seen this question and answered my trolley & tractor questions.

So it looks like the Type C (with additional Canberra rails) and Tractor from the Resupply set may come in handy with this project. That's great news.

I've googled BS381c 169 Traffic Blue and it came up with the shade below.

That's quite an interesting colour and one I've not heard before. Matching this may be a problem unless someone knows of a ready made product that is already available.

Something tells me that the Tractor would not be in a similar shade, however (as always) I'm happy top be proved wrong with this.

BS381C_169.jpg

Cheers .... Dave

As Mr Chally has said, the tractors were usually RAF blue grey 633. I have a few colour pictures of tractors towing ground equipment and the colour contrast is quite striking.

The colour looks a bit brighter than this panel in real life , probably due to the vagaries of the internet.  For those in the UK this colour was used as the background on the original UK Motorway signs until they went with  a more reflective coating system.

The argentine air force also had the canberra loader but they used it for other things as well; (Scroll down to the third picture)

http://www.helmo.gr/index.php?option=com_deeppockets&task=catContShow&cat=22&id=1941&Itemid=1

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

John, Selwyn, 71Chally 

Yet again I thank you all for spending the time to source some excellent reference material.

For some reason I had imagined that the main gear jacks were some type of hydraulic extendable poles that dropped down from the aircraft itself (in similar fashion to a modern day F1 car!).

Looks like these are just normal GSE jacks positioned by the ground crew as and when required.

I'm not sure if anyone has modified a standard Type C bomb trolley into one of these Canberra units, however it would be good to see what someone else has done.

I've ordered a set of Freightdog's 1000 pounders, so it looks like I've now got all the ingredients needed to put this one together (a little courage to chop up the Canberra kit would help!).

Cheers, and yet again - a big thanks... Dave.       

19 hours ago, Selwyn said:

This is a Type C bomb trolley (Left)  fitted with canberra carrier  loading rails  and a canberra loading trolley Mk 2 (right) in the process of loading a triple carrier to the aircraft.  Its a Mk 2 loading trolley as it has external  power connections  (see just to the left of the guy pushing the loader) the both painted in  BS381c 169 traffic blue.

Do you think that for modelling purposes, Azure Blue could be used as a close approximation?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cngaero said:

Do you think that for modelling purposes, Azure Blue could be used as a close approximation?

Finally, a use for the old Humbrol 157 perhaps!

Seriously - that might work, what's the bet I cannot find a tin of the old stuff anymore?

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 3