Academy's F86E Sabre in foil

Just to clarify, the majority of the fin-tip is a fibreglass aerial, painted pale grey (paint has an AN-code number but not a colour IIRC). The triangular part is an aluminium alloy panel and the black part is just neoprene-type abrasion protection for the fibreglass area at the leading edge on the part that extends below the aluminium bit.

• Thanks 2

Well, just about there, I think.

Pitot  on, fuel dump pipe (?) at the tail on and red. I got one more tank support to fabricate.

Hoping to take her along to a show on Saturday - it's the Farnborough Modelfest .

IMG_20170914_231449

IMG_20170914_231848

Which isn't much use if you're in the USA, but I'll be thinking of ya!

Thinking seriously about having some deep maintenance for the hobbyboss 1/48 Sabre

IMG_20161213_002343

The airframe is pretty sound but in need of a new and improved scheme. I'll be on the lookout for some Decal sheets at Farnborough.( And the elusive Monogram Century series f100 and f101.... might strike it lucky this time!)

IMG_20170914_231824

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 4

Good luck Rob at the Farnborough show. Ive built all the Monogram stuff. Im a fan of them as ive built them all over the years. Ive got a 102 in my stash and always on the lookout for more. They allow me to scratchbuild and help improve my skills. 

• Like 1

On 15/09/2017 at 00:14, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

built all the Monogram stuff. Im a fan of them as ive built them all over the years.

Well, it was a good day out. Plenty on display and plenty of buying on the trade stands.

I think you might remember this, fox4:

IMG_20170916_213200

Box is wrecked but it's all in there except for the screen and canopy.

As you say, great scope for scratching and modelling. Reckon I can get the flaps and ailerons active fairly easy. Plenty of surface area for foil work 

Had some interested conversations about the Sabre and a couple of other nmf airframes that I brought along and it's always good to meet others - it helps to confirm that you're NOT crazy....!

• Like 2

Glad the show worked out good for you. Im about to start my next foil project on monday. The Airfix F.3 lightning in 1/48th. Its already built but I've had a few other things take precedence before i could get to it. 

Yes i remember that one i've built 3-4 in my 30+ yrs of modeling. Been looking for another one for 3 yrs. i dont like ebay everytime i try i get outbid at the last minute, or bidding gets to a point where it just isnt worth it. I have a show in November so im hoping to grab a couple of the old monogram kits. Last one i built was the F-20. About 7-8 months ago. Since ive come back to modelling. Ive tried to find as many as i can. 

• Like 1

Somebody STOP me...

IMG_20170916_222235

Always good to see an EE Lightning taking shape,great looking plane.

Funny enough, I was out for a drive around maybe 5/6 weeks ago, and I got to a place called Tangmere. It was a famous RAF airfield base through the battle of Britain and much else. There's a museum and outside exhibits there now. I didn't have enough time to go in, but I had a good look around outside and the work shops.

They've got a Lightning!

IMG_20170801_140031

IMG_20170801_140000

It's a majestic looking beast, no doubt! She's going to be a good size in1/48 too.

For some reason, they've got a T33Shooting Star on the park as well, which I was delighted to see, for future reference!

I guess you know that you need to be careful about RAF planes in silver - they quite often used a paint known as High Speed Silver. Some early jets by deHavilland used wood and plywood quite a bit, but they got coats of silver all over too.

But as you can see, that Lightning above has plenty of metal on show.

Looking forward to seeing how the build goes.

• Like 1

I have two airports within 4 miles of me. The closer of the two has a T-6 texan in Spanish Air force markings. The other has a Small museum with a T-33, T-2 Buckeye, and an A-4B skyhawk. I havent seen the Skyhawk since it was Reassembled. Last time i was there the fuselage and the wings were still in seperate pieces. But the supposedly got it together and painted last winter. And i already have good photo's of the other two. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

OK, I think it's fair to say that this build is done.

It's been a blast, and thanks to all for contributing information and encouragement along the way. If I get some good pictures I'll post a quick RFI and a link, now I know how to do it! 

I did get some aeromaster decals for the 1/48 Sabre. Imagine my surprise when I discovered, after spending enough that would buy a whole kit, that there are no details/ stencils And no yellow bands- it says you gotta paint them on, and then use the black lines supplied. I'm not a user of aftermarket products, and this has done nothing to encourage me!

But if I make a job of refurbishing the old girl, I'll put up a bit of a thread.

Thanks again 

• Like 1

Glad you're liking it.

I started trying out a refurb on the 1/48 Sabre I built a few years ago. To see if I could apply some of these techniques. There is progress, but it has been "emotional" at times.

Maybe I should just tag alittle extension on here rather than put up a whole new thing...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Glad you're liking it.

I started trying out a refurb on the 1/48 Sabre I built a few years ago. To see if I could apply some of these techniques. There is progress, but it has been "emotional" at times.

Maybe I should just tag alittle extension on here rather than put up a whole new thing...

What's not to like? B)

The 1/48 would be great to see. Either way, if you do a new thread add a link here please. 

Johnny.

On 16/09/2017 at 22:10, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

about to start my next foil project on monday. The Airfix F.3 lightning in 1/48th.

Also, I can't find a thread for this anywhere, fox4.

Can you put up a link here please? 

(It is on here, right?)

• Like 1

No i havent done a WIP ... sorry Rob. I will post the Lightning in the RFI section soon. I started the Decals yesterday. I have a number of photos i took during the build process, but thought better of making an WIP. I will probably do my first WIP soon. I have a few kits up in the rotation. Maybe i will put it to a vote ? It will be my first ever WIP so im a little curious how it will go ? 

You're perfectly positioned to do your first WIP.

It can be a worry not knowing how the build will go - you don't want to crash and burn on a public forum.

But you've got the build sorted AND a bunch of photos to illustrate the process.

Put it up bit at a time and tell us a story!

I VOTE YES

• Thanks 1