Academy's F86E Sabre in foil

Well, I made a start on another F86. Got past the tedious bit and thought I'd try to post progress as it gets more interesting.

It's this one -

IMG_20170821_234906

Seems like a great little kit so far, and things are fitting fine.

Got the fuselage joined, joints sorted and some builder's foil tape going on.

IMG_20170821_233838

A noticeable feature that many try to address with various paints is the differences in appearance of the metal sections, most notably the central panels on the wings appear lighter.

My plan is to try to get the effect by using kitchen foil the other way up.

First effort can just about be seen on the wing under side -

IMG_20170821_233952

It's very fragile though, compared to the foil tape that I'm used to.

Anyway, she's under way 

Got loads of reference material, including the airfix model world magazine for march- with the Eduard Ultimate Sabre kit in 1/48 featured, along with an In Focus photo - feature.

What could possibly go wrong...?😂

• Like 4

Some of the later F-86F's & D's had that panel painted in a paint very similar grey to gull grey. It was an anti-corrosion measure and also for a wing walk area. The early bare metals were usualy done the way you are demonstrating. Two variations of aluminum. 

• Like 1

Can be hard to interpret photo refs in this respect.

The grey paint, was it just on those wing panels, or other areas too?

I'm seeing the same effect on the undersides of the wings.

I'm guessing what you mean isn't as obvious as, say, the walkway panels on the F101 Voodoo, with bold black outline.

Any dates on when the paint was introduced?

Can i send you photos of the areas Rob ? I cant post here. Ok having gone thru my files i believe the F-86A-E and some F production kept the plane in Natural metals. Photo's from korean war aircraft also show no paint. But aircraft in the States and Europe show it. I'm guessing here but I'd say the change took place in the fall or winter of '54-'55. It seems to show up more on late F's, H's, & D's. My opinion is you'd be safe if doing a korean war E or F.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Additional

Don't worry about sending pictures, it's just something I'll watch out for, and I'll know what it is when I see it!

Got some pics and info on Korean era, and I think I m on the right track for that.

These planes ended up with the ANG for some time. I wonder if that's when they started trying to prolong the life of the airframes, paint etc to protect against corrosion?

Anyway, all good info 

• Like 1

Some of these preserved birds are very shiny!

51-2756-usaf-united-states-air-force-north-american-f-86e-sabre_PlanespottersNet_332889

340406127_da8787f904_b

I'm guessing that service planes in action didn't get pampered to quite the same extent, but I'm wondering how much of a shine I can get on this stuff.

Might have a go, see what I can get...!

So I had a go with some metal polish, namely Autosol Metal Polish.

IMG_20170823_232020

IMG_20170823_231848

IMG_20170823_232148

That seems a little bit too shiny for a plane on active service.

But I could go all out and present it as a well pampered veteran show - stopper.

Pleased to find that the polishing compound produced a blackish residue that makes its way into the panel lines a little, a bit like oil paint wash.

Think I will persevere with the process and see what happens...

I still want to try out the kitchen foil panel idea on the wings, but I'll apply it later on.

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 4

In previous F86 builds I've left the nose ring until later, painted it separately, and fitted it much later, to give a nice clean paint line .

This time I'm going for a polished metal nose ( if I can!) so I'm going to try to sort it now.

Tricky part No.1 is getting a ring of foil round inside the intake.

IMG_20170824_215054

There's no point even trying to tease the foil back over the lip to the outside of the nose. Pressed down with a cocktail stick, trimmed back to the lip and polished with a baby bud. Inside the intake beyond the nose ring I painted white - may come back to that.

So I fitted the nose in case filling and sanding would be needed, but it seems like, feels like, it's a good fit to the front.

IMG_20170824_222025

IMG_20170824_222117

If really is as satisfactory as it feels, I will have a go at foiling the outside, probably in 3 parts - compound curves can be a little tricky, and this is about as compound as it gets, and in a very prominent position. (Thats why I've opted for the colourful nose on previous builds - it's still a backup plan in case of disaster.....!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Rob,

Very good job on the Sabre, and good use of the foil !

Hi CC. Thanks for that.

There is definitely no rigging going on here!!😃

Q. Do you know how to put a link in a thread that takes the reader to another one of your threads?

Like, you could put a link at the end of a WIP to lead to the RFI thread?

Very simple steps required. That is, steps for the very simple, is what I mean😮!!

Edited by rob Lyttle
question

Hello Rob,

Usually, I go on the targeted thread, Copy the URL, then back on the thread that I'm building and drop the URL on there.

Just like the photos from Flickr. Go first to copy the Url, then start writing your post and drop the URL when you need it

CC

• Like 1

OK little bit more before the big join up.

Thought it'd be easier to sort the underside of the wing before attaching to the fuselage.

IMG_20170829_231303

And a little panel at the front of the fin that I'm seeing in a lot of pictures, and the hasegawa Eduard build in the airfix magazine build.

Both sides separately, and hope for the best along the ridge join.

IMG_20170829_231241

I'll tackle that when the varnish glue has had a chance.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

is is a great project, the foil seems to be really worth the effort.

Thanks Cookie.

But when I read about the trials and tribulations of airbrush work and maintenance, and the breathing apparatus needed for some of these paints, this process can seem like a recreational doddle in comparison!

• Like 1

You know that old wives tale about boiling up kitchen foil with egg shells?

Well, I had an egg at lunch time, and....

IMG_20170831_181031

There is a darkened hint to it, but it is subtle.

Any body else had results?

How many eggs?

How long for?

Sooner or later these things have to be tried out, don't they?

• Like 1

Yes ive done it. I get a golden brown tone. I have set timers for 5-7-10 minutes and use 3 shells. I get different results the longer the foil cooks. This process also anneals (softens) the foil. The problem is the consitency is not there. It gives the foil a good color change but in a mottled pattern. The more area you need to cover. you will need more sheets done to get that coverage.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1