A Pair of Emil's +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

1 hour ago, Squibby said:

Hi Big X,

Have you tried using enamel based washes before? they're just thinned enamel paints and work really well with the pinwash technique.. that is just touching a tiny brush loaded with wash to the panel lines and letting capillary action do the work for you. Less cleanup because it's more targeted, you just use a cotton bud or bit of paper towel moistened (not soaked!) in turps or white spirit to clean up the excess, or streak it in the airflow direction if you so choose. This method gives you good control and lets you mix colours around a bit. If you've clear coated the turps shouldn't affect your basecoats.

If you're cheaper (but enjoy a bit more hassle :D) you can grab some oil paints and thin heavily with turps to replicate the ready made washes. I just find these tend to change colour and go all funny if stored so you have to keep making fresh batches every time. The convenience of the ready made ones has won out for me. I use the Tamiya Panel liners and the AK interactive ones myself.

I'd have to agree with Corsairfoxuncle stay away from black and really dark washes as an all over effect. If it was me I'd find a nice neutral / darkish grey colour for your 109's as a base then use black in the control surface gaps and browns where grease, oil and exhaust fumes accumulate (i.e. around the engine and exhaust pipes).

Hi Squibby - Yes - as I mentioned earlier I have indeed tried numerous weathering techniques - usually with the result that they either wipe off completely OR leave staining in areas where I don't really want it.

At this stage I'm not looking for 'an all over effect'.  I can see where you are coming from with the - 'find a nice neutral / darkish grey colour for your 109's as a base then use black in the control surface gaps' - advice - but I'm not looking to do anything as advanced as that on these builds - I'm still a newbie.

may go for a little exhaust staining - but that is about as far as it will go - I'm really just interested in accentuating all the fine panel lines and the black seems to be working for me - but we will see tomorrow when I have a play with the hellblau underside of my 109 mule.

The main thing is - these Flory washes actually seem to do what they say they do - AND - IT'S GREAT FUN TOO!!!

• Like 1

Hey @BIG X

Just returned from a family holiday and caught up on your progress. They are looking great mate top job! 

Im.a flory wash user myself. If anything I go overboard with my washes and often struggle to get into the books and crannies to get the wash out sufficiently so sometimes it looks a bit heavy around those parts. One tip make sure you have plenty of cotton buds on hand if you go for the slap it on method. You will get through loads. 

As for not wanting to ruin your emils by diving in the best stuff about the Flory washes are that it you mess up you can remove it all and 're apply it. 

Oh and make sure you put it over s gloss coat and don't put it straight onto a non garnished surface. It doesn't come off very easily and seems to soak into the un-protected paint. Ask how I know! 

I need to get my backside in gear and get some aircraft modelling done at some point. But for now I'm enjoying your builds so keep them coming! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Antb said:

Hey @BIG X

Just returned from a family holiday and caught up on your progress. They are looking great mate top job! 

Im.a flory wash user myself. If anything I go overboard with my washes and often struggle to get into the books and crannies to get the wash out sufficiently so sometimes it looks a bit heavy around those parts. One tip make sure you have plenty of cotton buds on hand if you go for the slap it on method. You will get through loads. 

As for not wanting to ruin your emils by diving in the best stuff about the Flory washes are that it you mess up you can remove it all and 're apply it. 

Oh and make sure you put it over s gloss coat and don't put it straight onto a non garnished surface. It doesn't come off very easily and seems to soak into the un-protected paint. Ask how I know! 

I need to get my backside in gear and get some aircraft modelling done at some point. But for now I'm enjoying your builds so keep them coming! 

Hey Ant - Aha - an actual - real life - Flory user...  It's always nice to hear from someone who is 'actually using' the 'exact same product' - it's difficult to comment on these washes if you haven't used them.  I've tried lots of other products - but these seem pretty unique in the way they go on and come off - I have to say I'm really impressed.

Thanks for the tips - all well received.  I will add that applying to a matt varnish is nearly as bad as applying to bare paint - gloss is definitely the way - ask me how I know ;)

I was supposed to be having a play with a neater method today - thus using less wash - but LIFE got in the way and it's getting a bit late now - so maybe tomorrow...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hey Ant - Aha - an actual - real life - Flory user...  It's always nice to hear from someone who is 'actually using' the 'exact same product' - it's difficult to comment on these washes if you haven't used them.  I've tried lots of other products - but these seem pretty unique in the way they go on and come off - I have to say I'm really impressed.

Thanks for the tips - all well received.  I will add that applying to a matt varnish is nearly as bad as applying to bare paint - gloss is definitely the way - ask me how I know ;)

I was supposed to be having a play with a neater method today - thus using less wash - but LIFE got in the way and it's getting a bit late now - so maybe tomorrow...

Hmmm not too great a result then? I shall remember the Matt varnish hint. Never gave that a thought tbh

Never asked do you brush it on or airbrush? @The Spadgent puts it on through and airbrush and gets great results. If you don't airbrush might be worth a go? I'm sure John could give you some guidance he seems a splendid sort of chap (Have I gone overboard there John :-) )

The washes are really good I like them a lot. I only have dark dirt and black in the "collection" at the moment but imagine they would all have some use somewhere. 

Look forward to seeing your results when you get round to it mate. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Antb said:

Hmmm not too great a result then? I shall remember the Matt varnish hint. Never gave that a thought tbh

Never asked do you brush it on or airbrush? @The Spadgent puts it on through and airbrush and gets great results. If you don't airbrush might be worth a go? I'm sure John could give you some guidance he seems a splendid sort of chap (Have I gone overboard there John :-) )

The washes are really good I like them a lot. I only have dark dirt and black in the "collection" at the moment but imagine they would all have some use somewhere. 

Look forward to seeing your results when you get round to it mate. 

Oh don't panic - I only glossed up a couple of mules and left the tail of one with it's original matt varnish - that's how I know it comes off gloss well and matt not very well.  I have to say the Flory youtube videos are very good and they do suggest airbrush application.  I haven't tried it through the airbrush - yet - I'm just 'playing' at the moment.

@The Spadgent certainly knows his stuff - his 1/24 BF109 build over the Christmas period was awe inspiring - I went out and bought 2 for the stash - that's how impressed I was.

I haven't built them yet though - but his thread is almost like a 'definitive version' of how to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BIG X said:

Oh don't panic - I only glossed up a couple of mules and left the tail of one with it's original matt varnish - that's how I know it comes off gloss well and matt not very well.  I have to say the Flory youtube videos are very good and they do suggest airbrush application.  I haven't tried it through the airbrush - yet - I'm just 'playing' at the moment.

@The Spadgent certainly knows his stuff - his 1/24 BF109 build over the Christmas period was awe inspiring - I went out and bought 2 for the stash - that's how impressed I was.

I haven't built them yet though - but his thread is almost like a 'definitive version' of how to do it.

Absolutely agree with all the above :yes:

Was tempted for the 1/24 109 myself and still might yet. Can't beat a good old 109 as you well know. 

Good luck with the washes today if you do get chance mate 

• Like 1

Thanks guys. ^_^ Yup I totally forgot that I airbrushed Flory washes until I was re instating my build threads after the PB debacle. It's so much better that way, you don't get bubbles, another way to cancel the dreaded bubble fest is to mix with a coffee stirrer rather than shaking the stuff. Sounds obvious when you say it out aloud but the amount of times I shook it up and then cursed the bubbles.:huh:

good luck with the washing kids. :yes:

Jont.

ps. Just read the last few pages, really nice looking work there. :lol: 

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks guys. ^_^ Yup I totally forgot that I airbrushed Flory washes until I was re instating my build threads after the PB debacle. It's so much better that way, you don't get bubbles, another way to cancel the dreaded bubble fest is to mix with a coffee stirrer rather than shaking the stuff. Sounds obvious when you say it out aloud but the amount of times I shook it up and then cursed the bubbles.:huh:

good luck with the washing kids. :yes:

Jont.

ps. Just read the last few pages, really nice looking work there. :lol: 

Cheers for the tip Jonty - Costa Coffee will be wondering where all their stirrers have vanished to.

Could I ask - do you use your washes for overall coverage / to accentuate panel lines / to create staining - or...

...all of the above???

I've only just got mine and plan to have a delve into the dark world of AFV's - where I will be going for all three - but on here I'm just attempting to pick out the panel lines and rivets a little.

How about you???

Steve

PS - Thanks for taking the time to have a look - not up to your level of skill - but I'll get there one day. :blush:

• Like 1

Well progress has slowed somewhat...  mainly due to faulty internet connection that has slowed me down and won't let me upload pictures - but it has also been back to work time - and the internet there is even slower.

Anyway - I've bitten the bullet and gone for the black panel line wash - nervous - but nothing ventured...

IMG_2588.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2590.jpg

IMG_2595.jpg

I know it's not everyone's taste - but I like the results...

Here is a kind of before and after - I don't think it is 'too' over the top...

IMG_2597.jpg

IMG_2598.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

one down - one to go - then on with the aerial masts - matt varnish - masks off and they'll be done - AT LAST!!!

• Like 5

The undersides received their matt coat last night and seem to have dried well.  I love this Windsor and Newton matt varnish - its just so....

MATT!!!

IMG_2607.jpg

compare the original humbrol gloss - which I love too - to the W&N matt...

IMG_2606.jpg

Over the weekend I also rethought the base - a few ideas were thrown out and I decided a nice 'brass engraved plaque' might work.  Not a real brass plaque - just a bit of photoshop.

A 6“ x 9“ piece of MDF - bevelled on the edge and sprayed black...

IMG_2604.jpg

The 'brass plaque' - courtesy of a bit of photoshop and some glossy photo paper - over laminated matt to protect it and some double sided mount film to stick it to the base...

BASEA.jpg

...and thanks to my new drill bits and disc cutters - pins added to the top of 3mm acrylic rods and 3mm black rubber grippers to stop the models spinning on the pins...

photo_-_Copy.jpg

The aerials should have dried whilst I've been posting this - so a little touch up with black on their baes and the final matt coat can be applied to the topsides - hopefully finish this tonight / tomorrow - it has dragged on way too long now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SimonT said:

Congrats, now get back to work ;)

OK OK - I'm now regarding this as finished - HOORAY they say - at long last - we thought this was going to be a quick build - but it's taken 16 days.  Here's a couple of pix - I will try to get an RFI post up tomorrow night - it's getting late now...

IMG_2626.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

...and for those that have been - thanks for following - the support and advice is most appreciated...

...cheers - Steve

• Like 13

I just looked properly at the last picture - imho I think the panel lines are spot on.  If you're worried it's too much I might treat you to a picture of a ju87 that's *ahem* more weathering than airframe ;)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

I just looked properly at the last picture - imho I think the panel lines are spot on.  If you're worried it's too much I might treat you to a picture of a ju87 that's *ahem* more weathering than airframe ;)

Cheers mate - you have been a good motivator as this has progressed - so thank you :D

I don't think the panel lines are too much - but some doubtless will - in the same way I don't like 'gratuitous' chipping on otherwise pristine looking aircraft.

The main thing is 'having fun' - so each to there own...

On that subject - I'd love to see your weathered Stuka :lol:

• Like 1

If I have a small apperitif this evening I'll post a picture ;)

The weathering was done just with some water colours but you'll see what I mean when you cast a gaze over it.......it's the old airfix kit so raised panel lines and rivets....

And you're right - no point doing it if you're not enjoying it!!

• Like 1

B) wow that flash is bright :coolio:

I have a Stuka in the cupboard at the moment - but I also have a pressing engagement with the Airfix resin broken bridge - now that will teach me a thing or two along the way when it comes to learning how to paint and weather - look out for it in the diorama WIP section - SOON...

But seriously - the build looks good and if you learned how to do something better - then that is what it's all about - FUN FUN FUN :D