A Pair of Emil's +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

Here is where I 'was' up to...

IMG_2426.jpg

full prime done...

IMG_2427.jpg

...underside and sides painted hellblau - but then I looked at the canopies - NO!!!!!!!!!

They simply had to come off - luckily the Airfix kits come with 2 complete canopy sets AND the Montex masks come with both styles too - so not the end of the world - but a real flippin' nuisance.

IMG_2430.jpg 

Hey it's Walter and Egon - 'I didn't expect to see you guys so soon'.

OK I'm off to - cut / trim / mask / prime / PVA - to new canopies :doh:

It could be worse.....I did a bf109 G with 190 e scheme and 109 f decals...... d'oh!

eventually I saw the funny side of it.  Eventually........

• Like 3

Having just seen your canopy conundrum and the nice pics you included when you put that post up, it's quite "probable", unless proved otherwise, that neither of these E-3s had any head armour attached to the rear of the pilot's seat and the rear cockpit area. My understanding is that this armour tended to be field retro-fitted to the early E-3s, but became factory installations on the later E-4/7s. My guess is that you can make your own choice (it's a bit fiddly fitting the bracing struts that went from the rear of the armour plate to the side in the fixed rear canopy, particularly in 1/48 and more so in 1/72 scale) unless someone can come up with a pic to show you one way or another.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2

OK - after that minor detour...

New canopies masked / primed / PVA'd in place...

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

...whilst those canopies begin to set - time for the first bit of masking - horizontal stabilsers - undersides...

IMG_2450.jpg

...if your wondering about the arrows - they are to remind me that there are 2 tiny plastic bits that I could easily snap off - if I forget they're there.

The new canopies seem pretty secure now - so I'm off to do the major masking of the sides and undersides - Tamiya must love me :lol:

• Like 1

Keep the other canopies....you never know ;)

for BIG bits of masking i use frog tape.  Ain't the cheapest but pretty much the same low tack/"won't pull paint away int the most ackward of places" properties as tamiya tape..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

Keep the other canopies....you never know ;)

for BIG bits of masking i use frog tape.  Ain't the cheapest but pretty much the same low tack/"won't pull paint away int the most ackward of places" properties as tamiya tape..

Thanks for the tip on the tape - I'm afraid the other canopies are 'a little broken' arghhh

On 21/08/2017 at 7:47 PM, BIG X said:

Now I have the first dilemma of the build - my beloved Man City are on Sky at 8pm... 

Knew you were a good un

• Like 1

Playing catch up now - so on with the RLM02 and then leave it dry overnight...

IMG_2458.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

OK - all the RLM02 is done - I'm going to leave it overnight and then mask the splinter in the morning.

• Like 2

Apologies by the way to anyone looking in hoping to learn something - my skills are basic - but my cock ups are spectacular :lol:

Still - I do try my hardest and I am having fun - mostly :doh:

:sorry: Well whilst the RLM02 is still drying - I've just been late night internet shopping...

... I know that's never a good idea - but hey I'm on holiday and I deserve some treats :D well that's my excuse.

I've even paid extra too for next day delivery - so they should be here on Friday in time to finish this build...

I'll keep you posted ;)

Early start - there is only so much Breakfast TV you can watch - especially on a 'no news day' - masked the splinter and on with the RLM71

IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

• Like 1

In preparation for this build I bought 3 bottles of paint as candidates for the RLM25 on the tip of the spinner - what a waste of money that was - Thank You Vallejo.

I sprayed some plastic spoons last week and they all looked shocking - so I have had to make a custom mix using a dark green and some white - very hit and miss and I didn't make any notes - so I can't repeat it either - but it is passible - just about...

I've sprayed the nosecones completely with this lighter 'emerald' colour and I am going to mask off the fronts and over spray the rest with RLM71 later...

IMG_2476.jpg

Having played around earlier - I have decided against trying to use tape to mask the front of the nosecone - so I measured up with the micrometer and got a 6.5mm drill bit out to make this...

IMG_2530.jpg

I placed it ove the end of the spinner and used some blu-tak behind to hold it level - whilst spraying with RLM71 - here's the results...

IMG_2480.jpg

...subtle - but I'm happy enough - pretty good - by my standards :)

• Like 2

OK - all the Tamiya is off and we are ready for the gloss coat - prior to all those decals...

IMG_2477.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2478.jpg

Time for some Humbrol gloss through the airbrush - my gloss of choice :D

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

canon blister?

Yep - you nailed it - the original photos clearly show cannons and in my rush to get the wings together I forgot to cut the tab holes for them.  I've just had the wings up against a really strong light and I can't see where to cut the holes - but they need to go on so its...

ARRGGGHHHHH!!!

...moment number two :doh:

• Haha 1