A Pair of Emil's +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

I’m off work for a couple of weeks at the moment – having a well earned rest - well everyone needs a break.  So I have just been having a look at the stash and after my escapade with that sharpie daubed Messerschmitt I went out and bought five more – just to restore my sanity.  Therefore I seem to have a cupboard full of 109’s.  I also invested in a shed load of Luftwaffe decals for the first one – so a ‘double build’ or ‘rotte’ or ‘pack’ seems like a bright idea. :idea:

I have enough for a ‘schwarm’ or ‘finger four’ – and though my desk is 8ft long – there simply isn’t the room for such a daft idea – I’ve never built more than one kit at a time – so this is uncharted territory for me.  :mental:

I’ve been doing some research over the weekend and I seem to have the appropriate decals for these two beauties…

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4-Stab-III.JG3-Egon

…and…

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4-Stab-III.JG3-Grup

As we all know – artwork can be unreliable – but I found some photo evidence too…

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4-Stab-III.JG3-Walt

OK – I’ve cleared the decks and I’m ready to go – I do hope some of you will tag along :grouphug: - for moral support and advice - or just for a laugh - AND YES - I promise - no sharpies :lol:

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

I'll be following along.....you'll be fine!

BTW you going to recreate the ratan matting from the 3rd picture ;)

...only if it flew with the matting on :lol:

OK – here is the decal set…

yellow_9.jpg

…and here are the kits…

IMG_2295.jpg

I’ll be doing them ‘wheels up’ – I just seem to be in that groove right now.  They will be ‘out of the box’ and finished in Vallejo Model Air paints.

The first job will be the cockpits – sounds weird that – ‘cockpits’ – I’ve never built 2 models at once and I’m wondering if it will be any quicker or slower – we shall see…

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

I'm in

Welcome aboard Neil - glad to have you along - please feel free to chip in with any comments / ideas / banter - we are here to have fun after all.:D

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ok i loved the last one im pulling up a seat and getting the snacks ready. :drink::popcorn: going to enjoy this. 

The more the merrier Corsair - that beer looks good - but I need to keep a steady hand.

• Haha 1

Well stage 1 is already complete and drying...

2296a.jpg

...famous last words :lol:

Here is the basic cockpit - obviously I'm not wasting too much time on this - as there will be pilots hiding most of the detail.  These Airfix kits come with pilots - but the pilots that @yarvelling @Gorby and @Lawzer posted to me are already forming a disorderly queue trying to bag themselves a bird.  'Don't panic boys - there is a BF-110 / JU-88 / DO-17 in the cupboard and they will be landing on the desk soon.

• Like 2

...some more progress before tea...

Nosecones glued / sanded and first round of filler applied inside to give the impression of spinning props - top left hand corner...

IMG_2297.jpg

...whilst that's drying some sprue chopping and sanding of the basic parts...

IMG_2298.jpg

The last job before tea is giving those pilots some arms - catch you later folks :D

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I like the idea of blurring the paint on the spinners. 

Funnily enough I was pondering that subject this morning - for an upcoming BF-110 build - but this one simply has an emerald band at the tip of the nose - so no need for any blur.

...anyway - tea is done and the washing up too - never too much washing up with a salad - result!!!

Now I have the first dilemma of the build - my beloved Man City are on Sky at 8pm - playing Everton - I want to press on - whilst 'the iron is hot' - but I can't miss the footy... 

...10 minutes to kick off and the pilots are dry - blimey these boys are keen - I haven't had a chance to prime anything yet...

IMG_2299.jpg

...time for a quick blast of Halfords grey primer - straight from the can - so no cleaning up to do - c'mon you Blues - of the sky variety of course :D

• Like 3

I've just been using the halftime break to glue the wings together - look at these injector marks in the wheel wells...

IMG_2300.jpg

...good job I'm going 'wheels up' - so this won't be a problem.

• Like 2

I'm rather late to the party, as on an aircraft modelling break and don't frequent much at the moment, but I digress......I will tag along if that's OK mate? 

These two two birds are going to be great! 

• Like 1

Well after a very tense and bad tempered match I really needed to calm down and two hours modelling has done the trick.

The wings are together, with the ailerons and flaps attached.  The horizontal stabilizers and elevators are completed too and the nosecones have had a little more filler added.

With the primer dry on the inside of the cockpit parts some RLM02 has been added.  The wheel wells and wheels have received a coat of matt black and have been masked.

So here we are…

IMG_2302.jpg

Now being on holiday I don't know whether to stay up and get the pilots painted or call it a day.  The sooner they are done - the sooner I can get the fuselage 'zipped up'.

Up to now doing 2 kits at once is proving very fast - but doing wheels up and not wasting a week on the cockpit is also speeding things up immensely.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Antb said:

I'm rather late to the party, as on an aircraft modelling break and don't frequent much at the moment, but I digress......I will tag along if that's OK mate? 

These two two birds are going to be great! 

Hey Ant good to hear from you.  I have had the Eduard 110 out of it's box again and put it back - in a cold sweat - there are so many tiny parts!!!  I will get round to it soon - I promise - but I need a 'chill project' for the holidays - not a 'super human challenge'.

Your not late though - I only started this about 5 o'clock this evening.  Since then I have managed to get my tea and watch Man City getting a tough time from Everton too - so plenty of time for things to go pear shaped :lol:

Morning folks - I had a bit of an early start today - so please meet - Walter and Egon...

IMG_2304.jpg

Looking at their attire I used this picture as a base for their colours...

IMG_2305.jpg

Walter and Egon are keen to climb aboard...

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

...as you can see I have been a bit busy since around 5am this morning - and I thought I was on holiday.  Oh how I hate filling - but I am getting a bit better at it.  I have stopped using my sausage fingers and started using this sharp little beauty...

IMG_2314.jpg

This little hook allows me to grab a small amount of solid or even liquid filler - drop it where it needs to be and then using the back side of the hook - smooth it in place and even scrape off the excess.  My fat fingers have been relegated to...   Wet finger / smooth fine line / clean finger - repeat...

IMG_2403.jpg

The final job of the morning was a quick blast of Halfords grey primer - to check the filled seams and hopefully get some get some more bits on - without to much more sanding and re-scribing.  I'm off for a bacon butty and a cup of tea - catch you later.

• Like 4

Hi Tony - Thanks for the input - always appreciated from someone as knowledgeable as your good self.

I know I 'should' keep a spine line - I think it was @Troy Smith that put me right on my last 109 build...

...the trouble is I simply can't 'resist' trying to get a cleaner line - so my excuse is...

'Yes - there is a spine line - but you can't really see it at 1/48 scale' :blush:

• Like 1