1/72 Scale FW 190A - best option?

Mitch K

Everything I've read says yes, though I've Airfix, Eduard, Hasegawa & Tamiya Fw 190As among my stock, I believe the Eduard ones are the best of a reasonable bunch.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

I echo what Stevehnz said. Eduard has done Fw-190A-5's through Fw-190A-8's, but if you want an Fw-190A-3/4, you would have to look at the Tamiya or Zvezda kits, or a conversion set, although I'm pretty sure Eduard will get around to an A-3/4 at some point, as they have done them in 1/48 already. IIRC, and somebody can confirm/correct me, but if you use the Tamiya A-3, you will need to replace the wheels, as I think they were undersized, and probably get an aftermarket set for the exhausts. The Zvezda A-4 is very nice, as well, and I think slightly better than the Tamiya kit, IIRC. The Hasegawa kits are very good, but have simplified interiors and the wheel bays aren't correct, but fixable. I would think the week end editions of the Eduard A's would be the way to go, as they are very reasonable in price, and would really only need a zoom etched set to enhance them.

Mike

• Like 1

I'm after building largely A-6 and/or A-8. The only thing is that I might end up doing a lot of these, so the cost of Eduard might get a bit steep....

I think that the Eduard kit, even in its Weekend edition (ie without etch), wipes the floor with all the competition except perhaps for the Hasegawa (where I can't comment because I've never owned one but those who do seem very loyal to them).

And Eduard Weekend editions are available at prices pretty close to what you'd pay for an Airfix one.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1

For overall accuracy and detail, the Eduard kits are the best choice. They are however, fiddly to build IMO. I have two at the "ready for decals" stage, the tolerances are quite close so lots of test fitting is needed. There is a topic/thread here on tips, suggestions for building it. Personally I was never too fond of the Hasegawa Fw 190s. While they are generally accurate and easier to build than the Eduard kits, the extremely shallow well bays just put me off. The newish Airfix kits have more detail compared to Hasegawa, especially in the wheel bays but suffer from thick trailing edges and a misplaced access/inspection panel on the vertical fin.

• Like 2

As someone thats built Eduard overtrees i say you cant go wrong theyre much cheaper than a standard kit. As you are talking of doing a number of FW-190's you presumably have at least one AM decal sheet if not more. So eduard overtrees + am decals + a zoom cockpit if so inclined and you can walk awayfor a little more than the standard weekend edition cost. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chuck1945 said:

The newish Airfix kits ..... suffer from thick trailing edges and a misplaced access/inspection panel on the vertical fin.

The fin access panel is a silly mistake but no biggie to put right.  The horribly thick trailing edges are a diffeent matter: much more difficult to put right.  I've seen a very nice build on here where someone appeared to have fixed the problem but I can't see how to do it without reprofiling the wing and/or losing the detail on the wing and aileron undersides.  Shame really, as there are some nice touches elsewhere: what were Airfix thinking of at the time?

• Like 1

Eduard weekend it is then, I think. I don't really like photoetch and don't get on with it so it's no big deal to not spend the money on it!

Eduard have so far only done the A-5, A-8 and F-8, there's no A-6 or A-7 yet but I would expect them and an A-9 at some point. Eduard is the choice for the best model but the Hasegawa Fw190 series is very nice and simpler and more enjoyable to build as it pretty much falls together (the Eduard takes a bit more work but is more rewarding for experience modellers). I would only recommend the Eduard and Hasegawa kits for late A series or F series Fw190. They are far more accurate than all the others and better to build. The only non Eduard/Hasegawa late A/F Fw190 I have is Revell's torpedo carrying version and that's only because it has the correct extended tail wheel that no one else does. The kit itself is very much inferior to Hasegawa and Eduard kits (I've built many Fw190's so I do actually know the score!).

The Tamiya A-3 is quite nice and the Zvezda A-4 isn't bad. Note the Zvezda kit has the wrong wheels (you can get the correct ones in resin) and the head rest is also wrong, these are very visually obvious errors but luckily easy to fix, even for someone with terrible scratchbuilding skills like me.

Eduard Fw190 Weekend and Profipacks are available really cheap right now. You can get Profipacks with the mask and etch for the same RRP as the hugely inferior series 2 Airfix Fw190 and the Weekend kits for the price of an Airfix series 1 kit or less, if you know where to look.

thanks

Mike 

• Like 2

Evening all. I have to agree with whats already been said. Tamiya for the A-3 and easy conversion to A-4. Eduard for 5,8 & F-8 superb kit with nice detail but you need to take your time with it.The Hasegawa is easy to build but rather simplified but I still like it. The Airfix I've built and though it turned out alright I wouldn't build another not when as Mike said you can pick up the Eduard for not much more.

Cheers Allan

12 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I echo what Stevehnz said. Eduard has done Fw-190A-5's through Fw-190A-8's, but if you want an Fw-190A-3/4, you would have to look at the Tamiya or Zvezda kits, or a conversion set, although I'm pretty sure Eduard will get around to an A-3/4 at some point, as they have done them in 1/48 already. IIRC, and somebody can confirm/correct me, but if you use the Tamiya A-3, you will need to replace the wheels, as I think they were undersized, and probably get an aftermarket set for the exhausts. The Zvezda A-4 is very nice, as well, and I think slightly better than the Tamiya kit, IIRC. The Hasegawa kits are very good, but have simplified interiors and the wheel bays aren't correct, but fixable. I would think the week end editions of the Eduard A's would be the way to go, as they are very reasonable in price, and would really only need a zoom etched set to enhance them.

Mike

MitchK,

Now that you mentioned wanting to do A-6 and A-8 versions, I would say the Eduard overtree or week end editions would be the way to go. If you order 2-3 kits at a time, the shipping is more cost effective, I think.

Mike

8 hours ago, Mitch K said:

Eduard weekend it is then, I think. I don't really like photoetch and don't get on with it so it's no big deal to not spend the money on it!

If photoetch is not your thing, you can always just buy the Overtree releases direct from Eduard.  No decals or photoetch, just the plastic.  You can usually grab them on sale from Eduard for under $10 USD plus postage.  Mind you, if you make a big enough purchase, Eduard waves the shipping.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...