Airfix 1/24 P51D Mustang Wheel Wells.

skyradial51

Personally, I've always wondered why Airfix never revamped their Spitfire to a Mk IX/16. Not too big (less plastic needed). If necessary, delete the engine and maybe guns but give us the wheel bay. Then bring out a second model with the cut-down fuselage so we all bite twice. Money's in the bank! 

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:48 AM, skyradial51 said:

just imagine if airfix gave us a new 1/24 mustang as good as the typhoon they gave us. !!!!

I don't know what the future holds for Airfix, but I would just love to see that too! It may not be "Anglo" enough though for the company's new direction, despite the Mustang's strong connection to the UK. I still think it would be a huge seller. It is by far my favourite aircraft, but perhaps for Airfix a new Spitfire of any mark might be a better choice.

They will probably announce a new 1/24 Mustang once I've finally finished this one...

Richard

Edited by RZP

20 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

What does surprise me is that none of the aftermarket folk have come up with a set of bits to deal with the kit's shortcomings. I would have thought that it would be more than worth their while. 

That surprises me too. There have been so many reboxings, and recently with new bits. There must be thousands out there waiting to be built, but the detail work involved can look daunting. I think Flightpath was listing a huge etched set on their future releases for years, but have deleted it now. A new Mustang at the level of the 1/24 Typhoon would make me happy. In the meantime I measure and cut new parts, and curse...

Richard

The mosquito and typhoon in 1/24 are highly regarded kits,probably the best they have produced,so they are capable of producing the goods in large scale,a Mustang would be as good a choice as any I guess..or what about a p47 thunderbolt !!

• 2 months later...

Hello there, reviving this old thread for those who expressed an interest in the templates. Three months later and I'm still working on this kit! I'm nearly ready to close up the wings, so I am going to clean up my drawings and make some measurements to finalize the templates and drawings. If anyone is still interested I'll have them ready by next week, and can mail them out to you. I was thinking of scanning them and saving them digitally, but not sure whether they would scale out properly.

Anyway, they include templates for:

-the wing spar

-roof panel for the wheel wells with map of stringers, ribs and cut-outs.

-rib templates (they will require some sanding and dry fitting)

-landing gear covers

-inner clamshell doors

-tail wheel enclosure

-map of piping and wiring (based on photos, but not 100% complete. My thought was to make it representative rather than reproduce every pipe and wire)

I agree with others that the 1/24 Airfix Mustang is still more accurate in shape and "the look" than the Trumpeter effort, and well worth the extra work.

Richard

Yes Mark, please just send me a PM. I'm hoping the scanning idea works without distortion, but I'll put a scale on each page for a reference. I can also always send out hard copies by snail-mail. 

Richard

Yes, of course Tony...but only if you build an RCAF Mustang. :-) Nice spot to live! I would love to live in the GTA, but I'm afraid I would just have to turn my pay-cheque over to Wheels and Wings Hobbies.

Seriously, send me a PM with your email and I'll send you copies when they're ready. 

What markings are you planning for your Mustang?

Richard

• 1 month later...

Nope. Sorry, I haven't been able to finish them. I work full time and am also involved with theatre productions at night, so I go straight from the office to the theatre for the evening. Life has been too busy the last few months. My last show finishes this weekend, and I will get my life back on Sunday. Everything is drawn except the ribs themselves require tweaking. I can then scan them and send them.

Sorry for the delay, but they are coming. Next week definitely.

Richard

To those of you waiting for the templates, they're finally done. I just have to scan them and convert them to a pdf.  I have all your emails, and I'll send them in the next day or so.

Thanks for you patience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 14/02/2018 at 15:37, RZP said:

To those of you waiting for the templates, they're finally done. I just have to scan them and convert them to a pdf.  I have all your emails, and I'll send them in the next day or so.

Thanks for you patience.

Hi,

Could you send me the templates please ?

My email is [email protected] 

Thanks for your help 😊

• 5 weeks later...