Airfix 1/24 P51D Mustang Wheel Wells.

skyradial51

The old big airfix mustang has empty wheel wells which need scratch building, has anyone got any templates they have done for this from builds they have done ? may make things a little easier, thank you.

Edited by skyradial51
spelling

2 hours ago, skyradial51 said:

The old big airfix mustang has empty wheel wells which need scratch building, has anyone got any templates they have done for this from builds they have done ? may make things a little easier, thank you.

What scale and which version- P-51B/c or P-51D? I don't have a template or drawing, but if you do a search for resin P-51 wheel bays in the scale you're working in, the photos of the resin sets can be used as the basis for scratchbuilding your own. The rear and roof  of the bay would be pretty easy, but the front, with the curvature and lightening cutouts would be a pain! It also appears that the resin sets of the P-51B/C versions are OOP. Very few of the existing kits in either scale seem to get the rear spar/aft part of the bay correct, sad to say.

Mike

probably not.

IIRC the old PSL book tied in with the kit, Classic Aircraft and how to model them No.3, Mustang,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Aircraft-Their-History-Model/dp/0850591074

they turn up cheaper,  but to be honest it's pretty dated book.

It does have a template for a wing spar, which is a handy bit of info, since that's the back of the wheel wells.  Someone maybe able to scan this.  (I would but no scanner set up at mo)

The place to look up this kind of information is Large Scale PLanes

eg

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=859

I did see a reallydetailed build of one on there I think, but not find ing it right now.

HTH

I'm working on one for a group build on the Large Scale Planes website now. You're right, there is nothing in those big old holes. I started with the wing spar template that was in the old PSL book, and built it from two layers of heavy card stock. What that will do is not only provide the back of the wheel well which is also the wing spar but will also ensure that your wings will have the correct dihedral. That kit suffers from drooping wings if you don't do that.

I glued in the wing spar and the divider between the two wells to the wing bottom:

8s26L9dl.jpg

For the rest, I made a roof out of thinner card, glued it to the upper wing, and attached the ribs and stringers to that. I am currently inserting all the piping and wiring and various cylinders and boxes to this. Once it is all ready I will glue the wings and all this will be sandwiched together. Dry fitting shows it works...

Qcp52JUl.jpg

There are some very beautifully detailed builds of this kit on Large Scale Planes. Here is my humble effort if it helps you:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=65302

Edited by RZP
  • Like 3

I have been keeping the templates I made for all these parts, because as crazy as it sounds I will build a couple more of this kit. It's still the most accurate Mustang in 1/24. The Trumpeter kit, although possibly easier to build is very inaccurate, and looks more like a 1/24 eggplane when done. Once I finish all the modified parts and made templates I'll copy them out for anyone interested.

I also made new gear leg covers and inner clamshell doors because those parts as they come in the kit are pretty lame. This is what I've built from scratch, compared to the original kit part in the top left corner. The one at the bottom shows it before final priming. I used Archer resin rivets, and the stainless steel rubbing strip was made out of thick furnace tape. I was thinking of leaving the rubbing strip bare, but it was too shiny for a Mustang in service:

ryFL7vJl.jpg

Edited by RZP
  • Like 4

Thank you! I'll see if I can put together some drawings and templates of what I've done. It'll be a couple weeks yet, but I'll message you when they're ready. 

I've never done any scratch building before, but it's been a lot of fun to try out techniques and learn from others...I've surprised myself. To be honest, even with the templates there was a bit of sanding and trimming to make everything fit. Here are the raw landing gear covers and how it all went together, cardboard templates up top, two thicknesses of plastic card in the middle and the primed finished door at the bottom. 

loaZzfwl.jpg

Richard

Edited by RZP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yes thanks any templates and drawings would be great help thanks,as ive been meaning to start this kit for a while , but kept putting it off because of the lack of any detail in the wheel wells and wasn't sure how to approach rectifying them.

2 hours ago, skyradial51 said:

yes thanks any templates and drawings would be great help thanks,as ive been meaning to start this kit for a while , but kept putting it off because of the lack of any detail in the wheel wells and wasn't sure how to approach rectifying them.

This might also help; do an internet search for P-51D wheel wells images; you will pull up numerous photos of the real airplane as well as photos of the resin wheel well sets in the different scales. You can use these photos as a guide, but be careful, as some of the resin aftermarket sets have the back wall of the wheel well angled to match the opening of the wheel bay, instead of straight across, which is the main spar. If finances permit, you could purchase a 1/32 wheel bay set and scale up the structural and piping details to 1/24- you could then sell the 1/32 set to someone who needs one and recover your costs. I think waiting for the templates that Richard has so generously offered would also get you there, along with the photo search. For excellent reference photos, look at the link below  for Happy Jack's Go Buggy P-51D restoration, which is based here where I live, and has been meticulously restored- great detail photos of the cockpit and wheel bays. Good luck on your project! BTW- what scheme and markings have you chosen?

Mike

http://midwestaero.com/site/Photo_Gallery/Pages/Happy_Jacks_Go_Buggy.html

• Like 1

Mike is right, Happy Jack's Go Buggy is a magnificent restoration and mostly what I've been basing my details on. I've also been using the Tamiya 1/32 kit as a resource, and the book from MMP on the P-51D which also features that same aircraft, as well as other restorations and period photos and drawings. Well worth the money. There is a ton of material online too.

I also found you have to decide how much detail is enough. The Mustang's wheel well is an extremely busy space; piping, wiring, cylinders, pumps, links and springs. You could go crazy trying to replicate everything. I have seen a couple of models that have done pretty much that, and my jaw just drops. I'm trying to give more of an impression of everything going on in there, while basing it on photos. It was supposed to be a fast build...and it's coming up on ten months! I am having tremendous fun though, and have overcome my fear of trying to scratch build my own parts. I've spent more time on the wheel wells and cockpit than I have on most of the models I've built.

I have fallen in love with the Airfix Mustang. While it's a product of its time, with working features and some soft details, it still captures the lines of the Mustang better than the Trumpeter kit. It needs a lot of work, and surprises you with what they left out, and what they included. The engine is beautiful and a model in itself. The nose contours are a bit too round and I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle that. I hope you build it, don't let it intimidate you.

Richard

Hey guys ! thanks for the input, I just love the Mustang since I was a kid,remember when the airfix kit first came out ! I have a lot of books on the Mustang,but not got the one with the wingspar in for the airfix kit I nolonger have it and the wingspar template  would be good starting point. I also have 3 trumpeter kits in 1/32 along with there 1/24 boxing, 2 Tamiya's Mustangs 1/32. I like the airfix kit even though its an old kit its still a good kit despite needing some work in these areas its worth the effort I feel..

2 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

I'd appreciate a set of those templates too, please!

I'd be happy to send you a set too. As I said above it'll be a couple of weeks yet, but hopefully they'll help. It's not as difficult to scratch build the details as I thought it would be, just takes time. I'll contact you here when they're ready. 

Richard

Yes, the Rutman tyres are an essential replacement. The vinyl ones in the kit are anemic and difficult to weather to look good. My issue is that all the post-war RCAF Mustangs had a tread pattern that Rutman didn't do, so I'll have to modify one of the sets by filling with Milliput and scribing new tread:

iBWtMfLl.jpg

Edited by RZP

I'll be doing a CAC one; I'm still trying to fathom which of the several different tread patterns was on it. The task is not made easier by the fact that it was often the case that an aircraft had different treads on each wheel!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

I'll be doing a CAC one

I figured that :), there are some wonderful schemes on the Australian Mustangs, and all those modifications and differences from the North American built aircraft. I also like the RNZAF checkered squadron markings.

As for the mismatched tyres, I think that would be fun to do, especially entered in a contest...waiting to see the judges do a double take. You're right though, it did happen often. Not so much with the RCAF as they seem to have standardized on the circumferential tread. 

My next one is going to be a Polish 303 Squadron aircraft. Kind of plain-Jane, but important to me:

RHK1E0ql.jpg

One of the aircraft my father serviced, flown by the Squadron commander. It was the only Mustang IV on 303 that had kill markings, so a little different.

Richard

Edited by RZP
  • Like 2

Your right theres some nice schemes on the Australian Mustangs worth doing..the airfix kit has a good engine in the box,once painted will look nice,dont think it will need any more plumbing added to it to look okay,but can if want to,but its personel choice really.... Richard, your father serviced Mustangs ?

• Like 1

There's a whole book full of great Aussie schemes:

www.redroomodels.com/red-roo/southern-cross-mustangs/

I'm planning to do A68-104 as depicted at the top of p. 295 (and i have the Fergie to go with it!).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, skyradial51 said:

.... Richard, your father serviced Mustangs ?

Yes, he was in the Polish Air Force in the UK and served with 316 and 303 Squadrons, all his time was on Mustangs. He was an engine fitter (mechanic for you American types :)) and joined 316 in May 1944, not long before they were sent south from Coltishall to combat the V-1s. He's still alive, healthy and feisty, and very proud of his service, especially being part of 303. He jokes about the fact that he grew up in a part of Poland where he didn't often see a car or lorry, but five years later was servicing one of the best fighters in the world. 

My favourite photo of him:

WoGCz64l.jpg

Edited by RZP
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, skyradial51 said:

just imagine if airfix gave us a new 1/24 mustang as good as the typhoon they gave us. !!!!

That would be nice - but somehow I can't see it happening. The old mould obviously has a lot of life in it yet, and Hornby's apparent financial woes would militate against the sort of financial outlay that a new 1:24 kit would entail.

What does surprise me is that none of the aftermarket folk have come up with a set of bits to deal with the kit's shortcomings. I would have thought that it would be more than worth their while.