1/72 Revell B-17 F

Good Day All,

Here's my rendition of Revell's 1/72 B-17 F. All in all it's a good model but there are a few challenges. 

The ball turret has several frame lines missing which were added. Also the fit of the two clear parts is not the best.

The engine push rods were way out of scale and were replaces as well as adding ignition wiring.

The blanking plate for the chin turret for the G model doesn't fit well at all. Quite a bit of time was expended to get it blended.

You have to modify the tail guns to fit in the tail interior. 

The tail clear part was marred with interior tool scratches and had to be polished out. I did OK with it but next time we'll look to use the Pavla alternate though it wasn't great either.

The ammunition boxes for the waist guns just did not make sense for an F, they were abandoned. Next one I will have to scratch them

The ammunition boxes on the ball turret interfere with rotation and the ammunition feeds really need to be replaced.

The pilot and co-pilot seats reminded me of recliners..they were modified. 

Eduard bits were used for the instrument panel and throttles...excellent product.

I dipped the nose glazing in Future (or Pledge floor care here in the Stated now) to get it as clear as possible because it is very thick. Pavlas wasn't great either. 

I took quite a bit of time to blend the clear front windows and associated panel lines into the fuselage. I'm OK with it but I think Ill do better on the next one. 

It is painted with Vallejo acrylics as I no longer use oils except for washes and weathering, I do not spray them anymore.

Kitsworld decals were used for the artwork. The kits national insignia were used as they were the correct size. The Kitsworld national markings for the wings were undersized in my opinion.

Tom Probert gave me some very useful information on painting the interior...thanks so much. It was about 18 months when I asked for it Tom..better late than never.

Well onto the pictures. 

As always all comments are appreciated.

All the Best!

Don

ps: Yes that is the new Airfix 1/48 Stuka B-1 in the background. But that's for another post...LOL!

AVAFQ3k.jpgn9upZHp.jpgR5MFfk1.jpgtr81lxF.jpg

dKDcr8B.jpg

uGKFkuN.jpgySgEBUN.jpg0NnolRu.jpg

• Like 37

A nice, clean build! Great finish. And I can see those slight exhaust stains :winkgrin: If it were me I might have dirtied it up a bit more, but it still looks really nice. :goodjob:

3 hours ago, SJLR_1 said:

A nice, clean build! Great finish. And I can see those slight exhaust stains :winkgrin: If it were me I might have dirtied it up a bit more, but it still looks really nice. :goodjob:

Thanks so much..you are correct...not overly distressed. The actual plane only lasted about 6 months or so based on the history I found so I tried to keep with that thought. As far as the rest of the weathering there actually is quite a bit of fading of the paint and control surfaces that has not translated well in the pics. I learned quite a bit about weathering OD on this project....yellow is the key not white or grey.

Thanks so much for the very kind comments and keen observation.

All the Best!

Don

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JWM said:

Very nice result indeed! The photos are a bit heavy, takes time to open...

I like your Olive Drab - what exactly it is?

Regards

J-W

J-W,

I apologize for not getting this to you sooner. But I wanted the exact numbers off the bottle.

The exact olive drab is Vallejo N41 Dark Olive Drab . Vallejo number 71.316. 

It was faded with with their yellow to three different tones. Yellow, in my opinion is best when fading OD because it does not turn grey.

Hope this helps.

All the Best!

Don

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DJJunis said:

J-W,

I apologize for not getting this to you sooner on the. But I wanted the exact numbers off the bottle.

The exact olive drab is Vallejo N41 Dark Olive Drab . Vallejo number 71.316. 

It was faded with with their yellow to three different tones. Yellow, in my opinion is best when fading OD because it does not turn grey.

OOOPs Double post.....Just learning this photo thing from my camera to IMGUR to the site. I'll look into the size next time.

Hope this helps.

All the Best!

Don

Edited by DJJunis
Additional response added.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, matteo44 said:

Great job! :clap:

I love B-17!!

If I can write my personal opinion, nice model but I would have make the panels lines. 

Thanks Matte and I completely understand about the panel lines. They are very inconsistent throughout the model and trying to match them was very frustrating. But I was not willing to invest the time to redo the entire plane. 

Thanks again! Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, always good to see a B-17 in 1/72 scale.

Must admit, I still think the Hasegawa kits are solid renditions, even though this Revell and the latest Airfix kits are now on the market.

Suffice it to say, the lack of interior detail in the Hasegawa kit does not bother me much.

Nonetheless, your Revell build has turned out very nice.

:goodjob: