This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Paul E

1:700 Scale Type 14 Frigate - HMS Hardy

Paul E    1,166
Posted (edited)

Here is another model I picked up from the Southwest Ship Show in Portishead. This one is the MT Miniatures model of a Type 14 Frigate. I got the model because my father served on HMS Hardy when he did National Service with the Royal Navy in the late 1950s.

PICT0013_1.JPG

I must admit that I am in two minds about documenting this build as I did not pay too much attention to the level of detail in the mouldings for this kit. I bought the kit because the subject matter was more important. However I feel I need to be clear at the outset this is a kit conversion and not a criticism or commentary on the MT Miniatures kit.

36506464231_54369f73c0_k.jpg

Fundamentally MT Miniatures produce 1:700 kits in subjects that are not available from other manufacturers. The kits may be basic when compared to others but considering their relative cost they are in my view great for modellers wanting to try mixed media kits for the first time. For those with more experience and prepared to scratch build the kits offer a template for conversion.

Accepting that this is going to be a major conversion, I bought some extra PE detail to go with the kit:

35502848874_cbcd1c724b_k.jpg

I also dug out my big box of plastic card and shapes as I knew I was going to be making some use of it.

Unfortunately I do not have any drawings for HMS Hardy or any of the Type 14s and my source of reference material is limited to photographs gleaned from the internet, which although useful is far from ideal. But I feel confident that I will be able to produce a reasonable representation of HMS Hardy.

Edited by Paul E
grammar

Chewitt    1,173

Hi Paul 

Do you that Atlantic models will have one in the near future in 1/350.email Peter.Good luck ,with this model, will be interesting to see if they can be make into something good.

Paul E    1,166
22 hours ago, Chewitt said:

Hi Paul 

Do you that Atlantic models will have one in the near future in 1/350.email Peter.Good luck ,with this model, will be interesting to see if they can be make into something good.

Thanks Chris,

I was aware that Atlantic models had plans for a 1:350 Type 14 but I think he has other models higher up the queue.

Paul E    1,166
20 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I too have this kit. Marked as following!

Martian

You are most welcome but I think there will not be much of the kit left by the time I finish with it.

Paul E    1,166

So here goes,

36506471011_d77dd7d6ee_k.jpg

And it is straight into trimming bits off the hull moulding;

First I started by removing the sea boat on the starboard side, the bridging piece between the forward and funnel superstructure and the boat chocks on the port side.

35835520763_4ffc4c3af1_k.jpg

36248285200_4eedc553ec_k.jpg

I gave the model a spray of undercoat and then decided that I needed to remodel the area immediately aft of the bridge deck which I cut out of the moulding:

35502857084_171620b5ab_k.jpg

and fashioned a new piece with the intermediate deck from plastic card.

35530095503_98b9668d97_k.jpg

36202187641_6aab1aac67_k.jpg

That's it for now, there will be plenty more surgery to come.

Thanks for looking :thanks:

Chewitt    1,173

Och this looks painful.chop, chop, chop.......

beefy66    2,801

Looks like this is going to be a major refitting job. :popcorn:

beefy 

Paul E    1,166

Martian, Chris and Beefy

I think this gives the answer you are looking for:

36664585966_04684185c3_k.jpg

I ended up deciding the piecemeal approach to detailing was not going to work so I stripped the model down of all its moulded detail with exception of the funnel and I am going to start building up from there.

Here are some of the new pieces I have built to replace the bridge and the deckhouse immediately aft of the bridge.

35942056640_ac2fa32f4a_k.jpg

35942062830_834cb856a5_k.jpg

36710628335_449c0b8647_k.jpg

I have been keeping notes as I go along so I have a record of dimensions and I make sketches from the photographs to give me ideas of the detail I need to apply.

One advantage of stripping the model back is that it will make painting the deck and hull easier.

Martian Hale    9,815
1 hour ago, Paul E said:

I ended up deciding the piecemeal approach to detailing was not going to work so I stripped the model down of all its moulded detail with exception of the funnel and I am going to start building up from there..

I feared that this was going to have to be the way to go and that a quick and easy way of getting a Type 14 was a pious hope.

You are doing a good job of sorting things out though.

Martian

Bugle07    98

This is going to be interesting! Really like your scratch building so far, big improvement on the original. 

Geoff

Paul E    1,166

Progress I am afraid has been a little slow. I have however managed to locate a picture of HMS Hardy as she was when my father served on her which is very useful as the ships underwent a number of changes throughout their lives.

35979767424_9c72317765_h.jpg

As for the model, I have added Photo Etch doors and ladders and reconstructed the area after the bridge break and sanded down the model remove blemishes in the hull moulding.

36763473740_ad32a080a9_h.jpg

37160917865_df608bd1ce_h.jpg

Next up for the hull is painting prior to me reapplying detail starting with the bollards;

37018666041_5d7669bda4_h.jpg

The anchor capstans are next on my to do list.