Cold War or Modern Era model for a beginner

Hey,

After several years of AFV and plane modelling I feel ready for an excursion in the maritime world :)

I was eyeing some of the post war aircraft carriers but I think I should start smaller with a destroyer, for instance. The only problem I have is choosing the "right" beginner kit from the plethora of available options.

Here are a few corner stones I have in mind for the selection:

- price not over 50 GBP / 50 Euro

- scale  should be 1/350

- cold war or modern era subject

- PE parts are OK; even resin/metal add-ons can be considered

- nation is not so important

- ideally, an off-mainstream, exotic subject

Any suggestion is most welcome! Thank you!

I noticed there is a Type 45 coming from Trumpeter which seem to be more in-line with the real thing plus it is about 20% cheaper. Does the Airix have any advantage compared to this one?

I noticed that most ship models tend to look a bit plain compared to AFV and airplane builds. While shading - fading - weathering is anything but uncontroversial, me for one, I'm a fan of these methods. Could you maybe suggest some counter-part techniques in the ship modelling, if there is any?

Many thanks in advance!

Cristian

8 hours ago, grahamwalker said:

the trumpeter kit has its own problems, I binned mine in the end.

Oh... Sorry to hear that! What was the main problem with the kit?

7 hours ago, Richard E said:

To fill the "exotic" part of your list, would you consider one of the US Navy's Littoral Combat Ships such as Bronco Model's USS Freedom or USS Fort Worth?

Certainly noteworthy kits! Specially the included PE and the price make them attractive. Thanks for the suggestion!

If Hobbyboss' 1/700 Arleigh Burke-class are to go by then Trumpeter's 350th should be a nice kit, but i'm not sure if they are within your budget. On the plus side if you built a F-16 you should have the colours except for the lower hull antifoul red. Not the most obscure subject, but one of the best looking modern classes IMHO.

here is a quick snap of my build(excuse the dust and missing sonar dome paint):

36997873245_625e4c84f9_c.jpg2017-09-03_01-33-38 by mudkiper, on Flickr

D

• Like 1