Hello

Nurwin

Hello,

My name is Nic and I'm 35 from the south coast and recently my wife and i had our second child, a boy! The birth of my son triggered this nostalgia of modelling with my dad as a child and so here I am modelling again.  Currently I'm attempting to model an airfix Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero.  It was a plane I attempted to make a young lad but never finished, so I purchased a new kit.  I have a copy of airfix model world from Feb 2017 with the front feature being an airfix 1/72 Spitfire PR.XIX and so if the zero goes ok I'll attempt the Spitfire.  I also model in 009 narrow gauge.

My new modelling space!

34277647093_5fda7b1707_c.jpgNew work space by Burrdock, on Flickr

I hope to learn lots and look forward to sharing my modelling with you all!

All the best, NIC.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Congratulations on 'coming out' as a modeller! Wow, I'm envious of that workspace and you must have a supportive wife - not always the case!

Best of luck.

Mike

Thankyou for all the welcome messages, I can see already this is a great forum having read through alot of the ready for inspection threads.  Ventora3300! Yes! my wife is very supportive. The other end of the shed houses my 009 layout that i've been building but i stagnated and really missed building kit planes.  99% of the layout is scratch built. Still working on it of course.

36254060421_467c8d8af8_c.jpgFulllayout by Burrdock, on Flickr

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Hello,

So only 3 years later i've built that A6M2b Zero i tried my hardest to get that sun bleached look that i had read about as the real colour of the Zero seems lost in folk lore or it was just a very odd green. I messed the canopy up with a spillage but i was damned if i was going to buy a whole new kit just for the canopy so perhaps we can just say it is well worn. Next on the bench is that  1/72 Spitfire PR.XIX  I hope you like my first attempt.

49776994581_8605aec892_c.jpgAirfix Zero by Burrdock, on Flickr

• Like 2

Well, the colour was lost in folklore but after the finding of an IJN aircraft colour catalogue things are now much clearer.  Nick Millman has been doing some superb research and his work is now appearing in a number of Osprey books and his Zero book for Guideline.  It will however take a long time before the older stories disappear. if they ever do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nurwin said:

I messed the canopy up with a spillage but i was damned if i was going to buy a whole new kit just for the canopy so perhaps we can just say it is well worn.

You can use tissue paper as a tarp. Cut the tissue to shape and dip in a mix of water & PVA glue 50/50, that will look like a tarp when draped over the canopy. The pva will dry clear and then you can paint to match any cloth you prefer.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1