A question to the Mosquito experts

AnttiV

Hi, 

I am going to convert Tamiya 1/48 Mosquito P.R.IV to the rare but interesting type P.R. 32. I'll use the new Pangolin 1/48 two stage Merlin nacelles and the extended wing tips I'll try to scratch build. My problem is that all sources I have say that the extended wing tips are like in type N.F. XV. (There is a drawing in SAM Publication's Modellers Datafile 01 Mosquito showing the wing tip - maybe not totally accurate but anyway; I have also a photo where that wingtip is clearly seen,  so the shape for N.F. XV is  known.)

But in my opinionthe wing tip is different in P.R.32 because the wing span of the N.F XV is 62'6" and the wing span of P.R. 32 is 59'. A photo of P.R.32 (NS 589) shows shorter wing tip. Also the shape of the wing tip seems to follow the curve of the aileron. 

So has anyone of you real Mosquito expers any better knowledge about the extended wing tips like measures, shape etc.? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Obviously my question was too difficult - or too trivial -  because no one has had anything to comment it. I know I have the AMS aka Advanced Modeller Syndrom. LOL

Any way, I have been searching more information and I found a Polish publication "Wydawnictwo Militaria Nr 157 De Havilland 98 "Mosquito"". In this book there are drawings of most types showing the wingtips and camera openings etc.

So together with all the photos I have found from Internet I am now able to make a conclusion of the lenght and shape of the wingtips of NF XV and PR 32.

I also made a scetch about them but I don't know what would be best way to share the drawing here with other Mosquito fans. Maybe you can help me in this problem?

AnttiV

• Like 1

I saw your question but i'm no expert in ANYTHING :)

if you want to share the drawing perhaps if you can scan it as a jpeg then upload to flickr (other online photo sharing sites are available ;) ) and the post the link?

As stated above, to share images you will need to upload the images to a 3rd party photo hosting site, and then post the link here.

Some kind soul has posted a topic showing how to do this (with Flickr in this case):

I for one would be interested in seeing your conclusions.

best regards,

Jason

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AnttiV said:

or too trivial

Highly doubtful, given the track record of the guys & gals here.  There's usually someone with some info on most topics, so perhaps it's not a case of no-one knowing, but that no-one that knows has seen the topic yet? Who knows :shrug:

• Like 1

A more specific topic title might help, too, though probably anyone who really cares about Mossies will have a look anyway.  (To edit the title, edit the first post.)

I'm not a Mossie maven, but I'm staying tuned!

bob

I've done some googling, and can only find a couple of photos of PR32s, from which it is impossible to tell the shape of the wing tips. Can't find any plans online either. There is a build blog of a PR32 in 1/48 here, and his wing tips are more symmetrically rounded (compared to original), no idea how they compare to NF extended wing tips, nor what the source of info for that build was. http://s15.zetaboards.com/AMSIG/topic/8516316/1/

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your replies, modeller friends! 

Perhaps I wasn't too specific with my topic, indeed.

I'll try to send my drawing to show how I see the shape and measures of those wing tips.

- The link about the built model is very good!  But... even in the photo of the P.R.32 included at the page I still see the shape of the wingtip following the little curve in the end of the aileron, not like it is done in the model;  the N.F.XV the aileron seems to be changed straight.. as far as I can see from some good photos in Internet.

I will send my drawing with shapes and measures I can estimate ASAP.

Of course this is a very little detail but.. it is interesting! :smile:

AnttiV

• Like 2

I'll be keen to see what you have found about the PR.32 wingtips Antti. I agree that the shape of the wingtip on the model in the link is possibly too rounded. In the PR.32 photo, I'm seeing an extension of the wingtip shape by relaxing the curve of the original wing tips in much the same way as the wing tips on a Spitfire VI & VII were, though with even more curvature than them especially on the rear side.

Steve.

Hi again,

I dont know why the text is so spread in my message but it looks readable anyway.

I am not sure if the P.R.32 should be more curved but in my opinion it looks quite good now. The XV wing tip follows the original wing lines. In my drawing I made it without modifying the aileron - though in some photos it seems to be like that.  On the other hand, e.g. the Modeller's Datafile has a drawing in which the XV aileron is not modified - who knows?

AnttiV