Nowhere 2 Hide 89-0472 *FINISHED and in RFI*

FortyEighter

Time to add another Eagle to the ever growing squadron.

I'll be using the 1/48 Eduard "Striking Eagles" limited edition boxing to build Seymour Johnson's 335th FS "Nowhere 2 Hide".

20170820_140348

Aircraft was started a few years ago but then went back in the box.  Apart from joining the two main fuselage halves, the only other work done so far is a start on the cockpit - so I reckon this is well within the 25% rule.

20170820_140612

The boxing comes with plenty of extras; resin exhausts, resin wheels, resin seats, full interior etch, exterior etch - so I don't intend to add anything else

20170820_140927

And an easy paint scheme - just add a large pot of FS36118

20170820_141822

As I also have the Revell boxing which is at a similar stage, I may have time to build another of the "Never Forget" nose art aircraft.

Edited by FortyEighter
Title change
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Time for another update:

"Made in Britain" finished, fighting the deadline for "MiG-29" but a little progress on the armament for the Eagle

20170926_171006

GBU-31, 2 x GBU-12, 3 x GBU-38, 2 x AIM-120C and 2 x AIM-9L/M now in primer.

Lantirn Nav pod, Sniper pod and drop tanks still to do.

If only someone made a 1/48 GBU-15 for a really asymmetric load! 

• Like 3

I've just come up against a major failing of this Academy boxing - there are no BRUs in the kit to use on the CFT pylons.  Also, the inner CFT pylon is configured for an AAM load and not for bombs😭  Strangely the BRUs are included in the "Seymour Johnson" boxing.

So it looks like the choices are:

Hang the armament on incorrect housings (not really a starter)

Scratchbuild the units and apply the scalpel to the inner pylons (a lot of work)

Abandon this kit and get on with a Revell boxing that is within the 25% rule

Or

Stu, how would you feel as moderator, if I was to use another Revell kit that was outside the 25% rule (so not considered for the group build) BUT is at the same stage as my Academy / Eduard entry has got to??

Hmmmm conformal tank no pylons in this kitdo I understand you correctly?? Really?  :

Acording to reviews and phots, all pylons should be there....thereseem to be issues inthis respect with one of the latest Academy boxings though....

Hi Exdraken

The pylons ARE in the kit but there are no BRUs to attach the armament to these pylons.  Also, the instructions only have you attach 4 outer stub pylons instead of 6 but there are 6 in the kit!?

Have realised that there may be a fifth option - steal the pylons and BRUs from my F-15C MISP II kit but that means the rest of the kit wouldn't be such an attractive proposition for resale.  Will think about this option over the weekend.

• Like 1

• FortyEighter changed the title to Nowhere 2 Hide 89-0472 *Back on track*

Will update with photos tomorrow but this build is now progressing.....

Decided to take the all the CFT pylons from my F-15C MISP kit; airframe is now complete and primed, so just needs the HUD fitting before masking the canopies and thinking about the painting stage.

• 3 weeks later...

This build is now seriously behind schedule, so am going to concentrate on "Twin Towers" over the rest of the week.

Airframe is only partially painted (underside still to do) and weapons are a work in progress but here's a look at them anyway

20171024_183653

• Like 1