Spitfire SL721 JMR

Hamden

Hi

Don't know if this is in the right place but since it's in the post war period I thought I'd try here.

I'm planning in building a Spitfire in the colours/markings of James Robb SL721 J*MR my query is what is the correct colour blue that this airframe was painted at the time he was using this aircraft.

Thanks in advance for any help

Roger

If you can manage to find the Eduard Dual Combo 16 instructions in 1/48 or 1/72, that plane is one of the options.  It looks like PR Blue, but presumably the instructions confirm.  I'd look in my kit but I'm away at the moment.

6 hours ago, malpaso said:

If you can manage to find the Eduard Dual Combo 16 instructions in 1/48 or 1/72, that plane is one of the options.  It looks like PR Blue, but presumably the

instructions confirm.  I'd look in my kit but I'm away at the moment.

Thanks will try to find them

5 hours ago, canberra kid said:

I found this Roger, I don't know if it helps? It does look PRU blue to me but it's just my guess.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/131/Supermarine-Superstar.aspx

John

Thanks John

I thought about PR Blue but looking at the pictures I found thought it was a lot lighter than PR Blue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Thanks will try to find them

Thanks John

I thought about PR Blue but looking at the pictures I found thought it was a lot lighter than PR Blue

I know it's a tough one, in the first B&W photos it definitely looks a much lighter blue but in the other ones much darker and the colour photo mid way down looks very PRU blue, so if it was me I'd go with that. but the light blue looks nice!

John

9 hours ago, malpaso said:

If you can manage to find the Eduard Dual Combo 16 instructions in 1/48 or 1/72, that plane is one of the options.  It looks like PR Blue, but presumably the instructions confirm.  I'd look in my kit but I'm away at the moment.

I checked my 1:48 Dual Combo instructions and Eduard say 'PRU Blue' for SL721

in actuallity it depends on the time frame that you want to build it in.  Air Marshall Robb had SL721 at two different times.  The light blue was February to July of 1948.  He had it again in a dark blue finish from October 1948 to September 1951.  This information comes from the Lifelike decal sheets 72-006 for the light blue paint job and 72-024 for the dark blue finish.  Despite what is shown on the instructions for the sheet with the light blue finish, the aircraft always had the standard wings.  The Vintage Wings of Canada web page on this aircraft shows this very well.

Later,

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For anyone interested I have found on Jerry Billing site history of SL271 that AVM Robb had the Spitfire painted in a special light blue scheme.

See link below for information on this airframe.

http://www.jerrybilling.ca/Jerry Billing Spitfire's/History of Spitfire SL721.htm

Thanks again to those who replied to my query

Roger

• Like 1