1/72 Airfix Skytrain assembly difficulties

Vinnie

Ok, I'm holding my hands up on this one. Every thread I've read and you tube clip I've watched eulogises on how well this kit goes together but I cannot get the fuselage closed up. Without the floor and cockpit assemblies, the two halves go together, just. I've tried filing down the floor and bulkheads but It's still a good 1/4 inch away from fitting. Has anyone else had this problem? It's back in the box now before I do it more damage.:angry:

This kit is a reasonably good kit to assemble, building one myself at the moment, the floor/bulkhead assy can cause small fit problems around 1mm but with carefull fitment will fit fuselage halves.

Can you post a picture of the assembled cockpit / floor / bulkhead sections, as it sounds as though something has possibly been put in the incorrect place.

Derek

I'm with Max on this one. I tend to build as much as possible and apply paint later. I realise that this may not be convenient for all occasions, however it certainly helps when assembling these new Airfix kits. I've got one of these in the stash, so will take a keen interest on your progress. 

Persist with it Vinnie. Remember Its how you recover in this hobby that pays dividends in the end. 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dwh said:

This kit is a reasonably good kit to assemble, building one myself at the moment, the floor/bulkhead assy can cause small fit problems around 1mm but with carefull fitment will fit fuselage halves.

Can you post a picture of the assembled cockpit / floor / bulkhead sections, as it sounds as though something has possibly been put in the incorrect place.

Derek

Thanks for the suggestion Derek. I thought this must be the case but I've dissembled it and put it back together carefully so I'm confident everything's where it should be. It's staying in the box for now until my frustration has subdued.

I don't have this kit yet (it's on my wish-list), but did you assemble the innards with reference to alignment with the fuselage half?  In a case like this (for example Revell DC-4) I don't glue any bulkheads, etc when not "jigged" in place in the fuselage.  I'm just afraid that it'll come time to place all the guts into the tube and I'll find myself in the same situation that you're in.

Once you're in the right frame of mind to resume communication with the kit, I'd suggest dry-fitting the interior to each fuselage half, and (assuming you pass those tests) getting both halves around it at the same time.  Don't think in terms of "it darn well better close up this time!", but rather in an investigative mood- "OK, let's figure out where the problem lies..."  Sometimes it just takes a bit of persuasion in one "tight spot" and suddenly it all falls together.  ("Keep Calm and Test Fit"?)

As others have said, the tolerances of these new kits can be quite tight, so paint on surfaces, a ragged sprue-nub, or a very slight misalignment can make all the difference.  Don't give up hope, and please report back when you've got it sussed!

bob

• Like 1

Had no problem with my build but it is an issue for everyone now & then & I just had similar probs with the current Italeri Sunderland build.  If both fuselage sides have the locating points for the interior assemblies, it's feasible that unless the interior assemblies are absolutely straight & level, they are going to be slightly out of alignment on the other side.  I make sure that all are attached firmly to ONE side, then, if I encounter said problems, remove the locating points from the other side & - usually - hay presto!

• Like 2

Vinnie, I've found that the locations for the rear of the cabin floor are a bit tight and needed a little filing and scraping to get a good fit. I had a gap of around 1/50 of an inch at worst, so I'm a bit surprised that yours is around 12 times that.  Are any of the parts warped? If so that could affect fit, and could be dealt with either by gently heating and bending the part back into shape or gluing it to its opposite number in stages, letting the cement set on one part before moving on to the next.  (If you think this kit's bad for fit just wait 'til you try the 1/48th Buccaneer!)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, everybody, for your encouragement. Using some of the suggestions above I've finally closed the fuselage up. What a struggle that was! Now, need to decide. Olive green with invasion stripes or MATS livery and skis.:hmmm:

Thanks again.

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:52 AM, Vinnie said:

Ok, I'm holding my hands up on this one. Every thread I've read and you tube clip I've watched eulogises on how well this kit goes together but I cannot get the fuselage closed up. Without the floor and cockpit assemblies, the two halves go together, just. I've tried filing down the floor and bulkheads but It's still a good 1/4 inch away from fitting. Has anyone else had this problem? It's back in the box now before I do it more damage.:angry:

I've had the same issue with many of the newer Airfix kits. I have less bother sticking Sword and AZ stuff together.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1