1/72 academy Cuban F-47D

hiya

had a break from kitbashing seafires (pending re release by Sword), and been working on a kit from the boneyard: an Academy F-47D in cuban AF markings :-)  just got the main painting done, canopy, wheel-wells etc will need. some work. i had a spare engine and cowl from a hasegawa kit that I used:

FormatFactoryDSCN5137-XL.jpg

Hollowing out the gun barrels was well worth it!

FormatFactoryDSCN5136-XL.jpg

FormatFactoryDSCN5140-XL.jpg

FormatFactoryDSCN5141-XL.jpg

the montex masks worked well though i will probably repaint with bush to get nice sharp edges

FormatFactoryDSCN5145-XL.jpg

FormatFactoryDSCN5147-XL.jpg

FormatFactoryDSCN5149-XL.jpg

FormatFactoryDSCN5151-XL.jpg

from the aztec latin jugs sheet:

aztec48044c_2_1024x1024-Th.jpg

Edited by Modelraynz
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

hiya!

been awhile since I updated this! - 

after the base coat I thought id have a go at weathering with oils, first to break up the base colour a bit:

FormatFactoryDSCN5185-XL.jpg

FormatFactoryDSCN5186-XL.jpg

FormatFactoryDSCN5187-XL.jpg

then after further blending, i worked on weathering the exhausts and gun barrels - still not entirely happy with the exhaust weathering, so after it dries i might try another layer on the underside. I wanted a well worn look for a post-bay of pigs aircraft that had seen a lot of action:

FormatFactoryDSCN5228-XL.jpg

FormatFactoryDSCN5230-XL.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Hello, as an afficionado of Cuban aircraft, I was very interested in finding this build.  However, the aircraft flown by FAR during the ‘Bay of Pigs’ incident were, principally, the Sea Fury and T-33 aircraft (what few were serviceable).  The Batista Government purchased the Sea Furies to replace the ageing and increasingly unserviceable F-47’s (Batista was not being supported by USA in the last few years prior to the revolution) and, although F-47’s were available to the FAR initially, they had been retired by the time of BoP, and even the Sea Furies had been ‘cobbled together’.  Of course, I am happy to stand corrected if you have found information contrary to my understanding of events.

If you search ‘Cuban F-47’ on the Group Build of the P-47 in 2016, you will find my build.