Rushton Target Towing Winch

RAL

Does any manufacturer make a Rushton winch as used on the Canberra TT.18 in 1/48 and 1/72 scale?

In case I have to scratch-build, does anyone have good close up images of the winch and dimensions of the winch and target?

TIA.

RAL Downunder

5 hours ago, RAL said:

Does any manufacturer make a Rushton winch as used on the Canberra TT.18 in 1/48 and 1/72 scale?

In case I have to scratch-build, does anyone have good close up images of the winch and dimensions of the winch and target?

TIA.

RAL Downunder

G'day RAL

If you take a look on my site I have some photos of the winch in this album  http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=11149713&pagesize=60&page=1 but if you take a look in the TT.18 album there are more http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=12627333 I also have some drawings from AP's.

John 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Heritage now Kitsforcash, used to do one, I wasn't quick enough to get one when they shut

Steve.

They are still operating Steve, contact them to see if they have the kits available.

Linden Hill, are showing sets 9HAAC 72006) here, http://www.lindenhillimports.com/heritageaviation.htm

as are these, https://www.aviationmegastore.com/rushton-winches-for-canberra-haac72006-heritage-aviation-haac72006-aircraft-scale-modelling-detailsets/product/?action=prodinfo&art=61094

C Scale did a white metal Rushton winch set, not sure how obtainable it is now.

Magna winches here, https://www.aviationmegastore.com/rushton-winch-targetsleeve-target-containersect-7205-magna-models-m7205-aircraft-modelling-accessories/product/?action=prodinfo&art=18229

I think I have one close-ish shot of the Rushton Winch pack, will try and dig it out.

There was a Rushton propeller on EBay the other day, but just missed out on it!

• Like 2

Thanks for that info. I did ask Ian some time ago if he had any more but never heard back so assumed not. I've put in a query with Linden Hill, I've dealt with them before very happily. Aviation megastore also good to deal with but for me, decals only, their rates on parcels are way to spendy.

Steve.

• Like 2

Right gentlemen, I've checked out my bits & bobs and have two off winch sets left. As I don't require anything for them but your both stuck in the colonies. If I post the sets to one of you could that person forward a set onward. If you can sort out the details and let me have the initial address. cheers Chris

Many thanks, Steve, John, Chris and James for your responses.  

John and James.  Those links you posted are most helpful.

John.  Are you able to post the drawings from the Air Publications?

Chris.  Your generous offer will be gratefully received.  Dumb question, but as I'm less than familiar with the operation of this site, is there a Private Message function I can use to provide you with my postal address?

Again, thank you everyone for your responses and advice.

Cheers

Roger (aka RAL in the Antipodes)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RAL said:

but as I'm less than familiar with the operation of this site, is there a Private Message function I can use to provide you with my postal address?

yes, go to a members profile, you will see an option to message them there.

18 hours ago, RAL said:

Many thanks, Steve, John, Chris and James for your responses.  

John and James.  Those links you posted are most helpful.

John.  Are you able to post the drawings from the Air Publications?

Chris.  Your generous offer will be gratefully received.  Dumb question, but as I'm less than familiar with the operation of this site, is there a Private Message function I can use to provide you with my postal address?

Again, thank you everyone for your responses and advice.

Cheers

Roger (aka RAL in the Antipodes)

I've found this one to start with, I will see if I have more at the weekend when I get a chance to get to my library.

Johnm128JY.jpg 

• Like 2

Still amazes me that there was a propeller driven winch, control gear, and 8 miles of cable in those FR Rushton packs!

There used to be a sectioned one on display at St Mawgan.

Have you ever seen a cutaway diagram of one John?

7 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Still amazes me that there was a propeller driven winch, control gear, and 8 miles of cable in those FR Rushton packs!

There used to be a sectioned one on display at St Mawgan.

Have you ever seen a cutaway diagram of one John?

In the back of my mind James I have a feeling I have one. They are/were an amazing bit of kit

John

• Like 1

Many thanks for those diagrams, John.  If you can locate the dimensions of the winch, that would be the icing on the cake so to speak.  I'd also appreciate an image of the cutaway if and when you can locate same for James.

Cheers

Roger

Top thread, thanks Roger for starting it & allowing me to eavesdrop, a TT.18 has suddenly become a nearer probably rather than a one day possibility, I think I'll still have time to wait on the S&M Canberra kit, even though I do have various others & corrections in stock. Thanks also to John for your input, uber valuable as always. :)

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to everyone who provided information on the Rushton Winch and Target.  Such assistance is what makes Britmodeller such a great web site.

Cheers

Roger in Oz

• Like 1

The Rushton winch packs are completely different than that of the predecessors fitted to Meteors and Fireflys.

Thanks very much to info provided by TonkaXV, the Rushton dimensions (without targets or launcher extended) are,

length 140 ins, height 20 ins, width 20 ins, propeller diameter 30 ins.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:28 PM, canberra kid said:

Roger I've not found the measurements for the winch, I know I have them but I can't remember where they are. 

John

No worries, John.  I now have them courtesy of XVTonker and 71chally.  Cheers.  Roger