DALER & ROWNEY ACRYLIC ARTISTS INK

Badder

Hi all.

As well as making models, I dabble in producing artwork. I mostly work with pen and ink, but also with acrylics and ink. The inks have always been applied using Rotring 'isograph' pens. with nib diameters from 1.5mm down to 0.18mm and I've always used the proprietary Rotring inks which are water soluble.

I did once try 'dotting the eyes' of my figures with the 0.18mm pen, but of course the black dot was washed off when I applied varnish.

But the other day I found the product in the title, and, being acrylic, I thought 'hey!' I can use this stuff in my pens and at the very least dot the eyes with it!

Today however, whilst working on my tree for my 'Ever Evolving Diorama', I tried it in my airbrush and I have to say it's absolutely brilliant! It sprays wonderfully, and covers a MASSIVE area. With my airbrush an acrylic paint will cease to spray immediately the cup is empty, but this ink continued to spray for a good minute afterwards. Now I was using the black ink, but there are some others available, and I was wondering if anyone else has used them, either in an airbrush, or a pen, for a diorama or on an actual model.

I'm thinking this stuff has massive potential for dioramas if nothing else.

Cheers,

Badder

• Like 1

This and my much preferred Magic Color are absolutely brilliant, been using Magic Color  since 1989/90. Rotring did it around 93 aswell but I think they stopped selling it,not seen any for years.

Brush it, pen it and airbrush straight from the bottle,no thinning. Artist quality quite light fast...outstanding. try watering down gouache too. Water resistant when DRY.

Edited by bzn20

50 minutes ago, Badder said:

black dot was washed off

Airbrush Acrylic clear lacquer. Its what the airbrush was  invented for...over painting water colour without lifting the underpainting by paint brushing

10 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Airbrush Acrylic clear lacquer. Its what the airbrush was  invented for...over painting water colour without lifting the underpainting by paint brushing

No, the very first 'airbrush' was invented for the speedy and even coating of photographic plates, and shortly after for spraying watercolours onto paper and doing away with the brush entirely if desired. Brush painting an acrylic varnish over a watercolour painting would be pointless anyway as the paper is acidic and needs no protection, especially if behind glass and sited correctly. Further advances in the airbrush led to its use in touching-up photos and spraying other paints, inks and dyes, more generally.:D

But my problem was with a water-soluble INK... which does NOT stay put on acrylic, or enamel paint if you spray ANYTHING over it. This acrylic ink DOES stay put.

Thanks however, for taking the time to read and answer.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badder said:

No, the very first 'airbrush' was invented for the speedy and even coating of photographic plates

True ! I can now see the first few pages of my first Airbrush book (and obviously forgotten all about!) with a bearded bloke staring back at me ! :doh:  I haven't read those first few pages since 1990.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bzn20 said:

True ! I can now see the first few pages of my first Airbrush book (and obviously forgotten all about!) with a bearded bloke staring back at me ! :doh:  I haven't read those first few pages since 1990.

No worries! I had a technical art encyclopaedia as a teenager (in the late 70's) back when I was heavily into art and had just got into model-making, and it had a whole section on airbrushes, their history, designs, uses and all that malarkey. I drooled over them, but I could never afford one. I got one of those 'spray gun' type plastic ones with the glass jar hanging beneath it, but no compressor, so had to buy compressed air cans. They'd last about 5 minutes so I couldn't afford those either!:D 

I didn't get an airbrush and a compressor until about 17 yrs ago but I hadn't made a model since my teens... the airbrush was used purely for producing artwork for local rock bands, and for art for art's sake. When I got back into model-making 2yrs ago, it was an absolute revelation!

I know the likes of Plastix stick to using the hairy sticks, and they get some lovely finishes, but I can't get on with acrylics that way. I have to use an airbrush. Enamels are a different story......

Anyway, thanks for the chat,

Rearguards,

Badder

9 hours ago, Badder said:

Badder

I just checked my Airbrush book by Seng-Gye Tombs Curtis (Farah Faucet Majors on cover) The inventor was an American water colour artist and inventor Charles Burdrick

Patent from 1890 ish. Although there is always a who was first with inventions and a bit of confusion.

http://www.airbrushmuseum.com/airbrush_history_insidestory.htm

I've always had an art thing and eventually decided to get out of Aircraft engineering and went to Art College for 2 years..Did that and out of my system, went to Westlands to build Sea Kings !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Winsor and Newton artists' inks are spirit/shellac based, and they will spray a treat. They are also almost impossible to remove from the substrate once they are applied. Ask me how I know...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mitch K said:

Winsor and Newton artists' inks are spirit/shellac based, and they will spray a treat. They are also almost impossible to remove from the substrate once they are applied. Ask me how I know...

Thanks Mitch,

I guess this is why they aren't widely used on models then! I can see some uses on dioramas though.

Rearguards,

Badder

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:03 PM, bzn20 said:

I just checked my Airbrush book by Seng-Gye Tombs Curtis (Farah Faucet Majors on cover) The inventor was an American water colour artist and inventor Charles Burdrick

Patent from 1890 ish. Although there is always a who was first with inventions and a bit of confusion.

http://www.airbrushmuseum.com/airbrush_history_insidestory.htm

I've always had an art thing and eventually decided to get out of Aircraft engineering and went to Art College for 2 years..Did that and out of my system, went to Westlands to build Sea Kings !.

I think credit often goes to the guy who first called his instrument 'an airbrush', which was later on in the development of the er.... airbrush.

Great that you went to art college. I was talked into taking the sciences at O and A levels, even though I loved and was top in school at art. Then I didn't even go to uni.... it wasn't the 'done' think for working class kids back then. so my sciences went to waste and I never got qualifications in art. Biggest mistake of my life. I blame my parents and my school's career advisors.

Still, we live and learn, sometimes, then die, always.  :D

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2