Revellers 1/72 Bae Harrier Gr7 / Gr9

Telboy3510

Just a quick question for all you experts out there, I've just started building Revell's 1/72 Harrier, as anybody who has built it will know it's a little light on ordnance. As a Newbie I don't have a comprehensive spares box yet. Can anybody point me in the right direction for purchasing the relevant bits and pieces. Thank you.

Simple answer is you can't as the harrier uses british specific stores. Best bet is to build it as the 4th sqn dispanmen decal option which only carried tanks. If your heart is set on building a operational one, then buy the airfix gr7/9 and steal its weapons and then build the airfix as a dispandment option from either kit or conversely build the revell as disbandement, and build the airfix as one of the two operational versions. 

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Simple answer is you can't as the harrier uses british specific stores. Best bet is to build it as the 4th sqn dispanmen decal option which only carried tanks. If your heart is set on building a operational one, then buy the airfix gr7/9 and steal its weapons and then build the airfix as a dispandment option from either kit or conversely build the revell as disbandement, and build the airfix as one of the two operational versions. 

Thanks for that, can I pick your brains a bit further? I will probably bud it straight out the box in that case, but I have seen it in winter camouflage which I really like is that appropriate for this aircraft, or is there a model on the market that can be painted in winter camouflage?

9 minutes ago, HansReggelsen said:

Would this be of use? :hmmm:

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/1992_RAF_NATO_Weapons_Set_1_72_about1499.html

Please excuse beforehand my limited knowledge! :confused:

Cheers :bye:

Hans j

Thank you Hans j, that could be ideal not only for this model but also for spares for future builds. Looks like I need to do some surfing.😀

• Like 1

During peacetime operations the Harrier GR Mk.7/9 frequently only operated with two external tanks and a pair of Sidewinder acquisition rounds; a search of Airliners.net may give you some ideas of typical stores layouts.

Hope this helps

GR. 5s and '7s could be seen in Arctic camouflage for winter exercises: the camouflage pattern varied from jet to jet, so find as many images of your chosen subject as you can.  

As for armament Selwyn would probably be the best-placed member here (oo-er missus)  to provide the right information.  I've seen images of one of the Operation Herrick Harriers (ZD408 I think) with two tanks and two chaff/flare dispenser-equipped Sidewinder rails under each wing and with AAR probe fitted.

Edited by stever219

On 8/19/2017 at 9:49 PM, HansReggelsen said:

Would this be of use? :hmmm:

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/1992_RAF_NATO_Weapons_Set_1_72_about1499.html

Please excuse beforehand my limited knowledge! :confused:

Cheers :bye:

Hans j

The RAF/NATO weapons set has long been out of production and if you're lucky enough to find it on eBay, will probably go for over £20

On top of that, the quality of the weapons is pretty bad. Soft detailing (with an awkward combination of photo etch bits) and huge panel lines. I was not impressed.

Best is to scrounge for RAF weapons from other kits. Like LGBs from the Revell Tornado. You will still need other stuff like Sniper pods, etc. but unfortunately all of these come with Harrier-specific mountings and nobody in the illustrious resin community has bothered (much more important, of course, is to correct millimetric errors in obscure short run kits [/sarcasm])

Probably best way is to source some Maverick missiles, that way you can get away without the pods. Unfortunately and to add to the absurdity, Hasegawa's weapons set doesn't come with launchers. You can get a pair from Maestro Models for the "lowly" price of £11.50.

In a nutshell, despite the Hase Harrier being nicer looking than the Airfix (too toy-like and not the best fitting either), nobody has bothered to make many modern accessories for it. :/

1 hour ago, Phantome said:

Best is to scrounge for RAF weapons from other kits. Like LGBs from the Revell Tornado. You will still need other stuff like Sniper pods, etc. but unfortunately all of these come with Harrier-specific mountings and nobody in the illustrious resin community has bothered (much more important, of course, is to correct millimetric errors in obscure short run kits [/sarcasm])

Probably best way is to source some Maverick missiles, that way you can get away without the pods. Unfortunately and to add to the absurdity, Hasegawa's weapons set doesn't come with launchers. You can get a pair from Maestro Models for the "lowly" price of £11.50.

Although they are based in Canada, another option may be Modern Hobbies: Modern Hobbies whose range includes a pair of AGM-64 Maverick and an AN/AAQ-33 Sniper Pod, similarly when @Colin @ Freightdog Models brings his website back on line he may have both CBLS Practice Bomb Carriers and Brimstone Launchers in stock.

Edited by Richard E

I am hoping that Eduard downscales their Harrier-specific Sniper pod, which they have in 1/48! That way you can fit LGBs on it.

Another rather annoying issue with the Hase Harrier is the lack of any pylon clamps (if that's what they're called), basically the metal things where the bombs and missiles are fitted. Hasegawa left each pylon with a with a square hole. They've done this before: on the F-15 kit for example but that one at least included the clamps. This is not a piece that can be easily scratchbuilt either, at least realistically.

4 hours ago, Phantome said:

Another rather annoying issue with the Hase Harrier is the lack of any pylon clamps (if that's what they're called), basically the metal things where the bombs and missiles are fitted. 

They are called sway braces

• Like 1

On 26-8-2017 at 2:23 PM, Phantome said:

RoG's 1/72nd Hunter FGA.9 / 58 included a pair of AGM-65's with their LAU-117 rails - perhaps someone did not build the Swiss option for with these are applicable, I used a spare set of mine on an Airfix GR.9 and they fitted just fine. 

Cheers,

Andre

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps not the best thread, but havign just spotted a cheap hasegawa av8b, and did somebody sprue comparaisions with the revel gr7 reboxs, the side wonder pylons are different as they go on different stations, do the raf gr7/9 also use the outer pylons for wonders as per the USMC av8bs?

Edited by PhantomBigStu

12 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Perhaps not the best thread, but havign just spotted a cheap hasegawa av8b, and did somebody sprue comparaisions with the revel gr7 reboxs, the side wonder pylons are different as they go on different stations, do the raf gr7/9 also use the outer pylons for wonders as per the USMC av8bs?

No. 

Cheers,

Andre

On 19/08/2017 at 11:01 PM, Richard E said:

During peacetime operations the Harrier GR Mk.7/9 frequently only operated with two external tanks and a pair of Sidewinder acquisition rounds; a search of Airliners.net may give you some ideas of typical stores layouts.

Hope this helps

The acquistion round would be on wing and the RAIDS pod on the other.

• Like 1

On 26/09/2017 at 7:49 AM, Harrierpilot said:

The acquistion round would be on wing and the RAIDS pod on the other.

Yes - I'd forgotten about the RAIDS pod although, at times,the aircraft would operate with two AIM-9 acquisition rounds as well ?

Edited by Richard E