Old Airfix B-17 Bit o Lace

old thumper

Loving this build thread!

Like many others here, I have a soft spot for the Airfix B-17. I remember saving up four weeks pocket money so I could buy one from Owen Wallis in Southend high street. This must have been around 1979 and I got 50p a week then. It was the longest four weeks of my life!! Finally got to the shop and bought the kit, and still had change to buy two tins of Airfix paint. For some inexplicable reason I chose G5 Brunswick Green and G14 Gloss Pale Grey, and still used the "Bit o Lace" decals. Perhaps I didn't like the idea of painting it silver!

Once finished, it graced the skies over my bedroom carpet battlefield and won air supremacy for my HO/OO Airfix Allied soldiers until probably being shot down in flames courtesy of a box of Swan Vestas.

I've got this kit in the stash....I must build it now!

Best regards;

Steve

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, old thumper said:

It will be interesting to see how much that kit sells for. I would be a bit put off by the windows having been glued in, maybe they would come out ok just I can see that they haven't been fitted neatly.

That shouldn't be a problem OT, according to the description, they're not glued in, only stuck with liquid poly. ;):unsure:

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bbudde said:

Oh, I' m in here of course. Many memories on that one. Built this 3 times in my life

As usual some nostalgic:

4c2d09553741b84d94cb0585d731b156.jpg

Goodness me what a picture, it gives you goose bumps every time you see it !

No wonder this kit was such a big seller

• Like 1

On 8/29/2017 at 11:08 AM, Ventora3300 said:

I get any missing vintage transfers from ebay - there is a part built B17 on right now, decals still intact, for £4.20, link below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airfix-Boeing-B-17G-Flying-Fortress-1-72-Scale-Part-Built-/282625788082?hash=item41cdcf48b2:g:RKAAAOSwm7RZoYQF

Hope that helps...

Regards,

Mike

Well it sold for £14 and £2 postage. The seller was very reasonable with their postage price.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, old thumper said:

Well it sold for £14 and £2 postage. The seller was very reasonable with their postage price.

I see that - maybe a bit expensive for just the decals (if that's why it was being bought) but  sometimes it is the only way to complete an incomplete 'vintage' kit.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

I see that - maybe a bit expensive for just the decals (if that's why it was being bought) but  sometimes it is the only way to complete an incomplete 'vintage' kit.

For £16 I hope and expect the buyer will be building the kit, and with a bit of luck we will see it being built on Britmodeller.

• Like 1

The windows are the real problem with this kit, I have spent the week filling in around them and sanding them flush with the fuselage skin. To add to this they have little to nothing in the way of frame markings and in a lot of cases just do not fit. So here's where I am, just finished sanding and filling around the windows, the yellow paint you can see is Halfords rattle can filler primer which has been rubbed down almost to shine. Unfortunately most of the riveting has now gone, but I hope some of it will show through after spraying the top coat of alclad. Now to tidy up and remask the transparencies which now have quite a bold framing thanks to the mentioned yellow Halfords primer. 

I have also made a start on the other large parts which also require filling and sanding. Plenty of sink holes and flash to correct plus the wing halves do not meet correctly. 

36956320072_8ee90e7424_k.jpg

36985338021_86e680a8b8_k.jpg

36985335841_c0f921202e_k.jpg

36314047453_768ce59627_k.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, bbudde said:

Ahaha,  yes indeed they are. Obviously. Three builds, everytime the same issues. Good job on that. Failed at my ones more or less.

I think this is my second build, some how I don't think either of us will be building another. 

• Like 1

I found some 'Bit O Lace' decals here in a shop in Australia, just by chance when looking at something else:

http://modelmatters.com.au/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=1456&zenid=679adf5dd399854affc7a26225ad4ae4

I'm buying a couple of other sheets from them; if they look viable maybe we could eg share the sheet? Send me a PM if it sounds useful; I'm the first to admit they're a bit pricey at AUD $18. 

Nice scheme, all the same :poke:

:winkgrin:

Best regards

TonyC

7 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I found some 'Bit O Lace' decals here in a shop in Australia, just by chance when looking at something else:

http://modelmatters.com.au/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=1456&zenid=679adf5dd399854affc7a26225ad4ae4

I'm buying a couple of other sheets from them; if they look viable maybe we could eg share the sheet? Send me a PM if it sounds useful; I'm the first to admit they're a bit pricey at AUD $18. 

Nice scheme, all the same :poke:

:winkgrin:

Best regards

TonyC

Very kind of you to offer but I want to use as many of the original kit parts as possible, even the bits that are wrong as long as they are usable and fit I shall use them.

I only want to glue together and paint it nicely really, unfortunately even that isn't as easy as I thought it would be.

Thanks though. 

• Thanks 1

Finally had chance to put in a few hours work on Bit o Lace today. 

Tidied up the transparencies, remasked them and have begun filling and sanding the wings, tail and other larger parts.

It looks like things should finally start to come together a lot quicker from now on.

• Like 1

A brief update.

Wings filled with Humbrol filler, then sanded and primed with Halford's rattle can grey.

Engines primed and given an initial coat of Humbrol gloss white.

Control surfaces primed and airbrushed with Alclad white aluminium.

Propellers also primed.

Tail gunners position primed gloss black.

37274847341_13ac9d582b_k.jpg

37227933346_062ede5f0f_k.jpg

37245540972_c662d3f9af_k.jpg

37417250265_566865a0f3_k.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Looking good OT,

How's the wing fuselage fit? More filler? 

It's all coming together nicely, I look forward to the next update.

Cheers Greg 😉

Thanks.

I glued the wings on today, filler was used but I won't know if any more will be needed until I rub it down later. So far it doesn't look to need as much filling as I first thought.

• Like 3

Things are moving rather more quickly now. Tonight I airbrushed Testors field drab on to the nose and engines for the anti-glare panels, I also airbrushed Humbrol matt black on the tyres, propellers and wing panel. The idea is to buff up the matt black wing panel and expose the riveting, before airbrushing over with alclad chrome.

P.S.

I got off without using to much filler on the wings.

36692826093_b6921d1d30_k.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 5

Airbrushed and salt weathered the port wing section before masking it off. Just airbrushed on the Humbrol matt Oxford blue and Brunswick green for the wing chevrons and fuselage bands. Before masking these two areas off I will rub the blue and green down to a shine, this should hopefully bring back the riveting, yellow next.

37388973631_72abdc9b95_k.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 7